Mountain Project Logo

Toothless progress capture device

Original Post
drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

Looking for a good toothless progress capture device for TR solo.
I know most people like the Petzl micro traxion but I don't want to shred my rope.
Im currently tying 2 separate figure8's in my rope and clipping them both into the anchor so I have 2 individual rope strands. A grigri on 1 and a prussik on the other and I just slide them up as I climb (I consider it about the same energy as if I had to place pro on a trad climb) but if I could get a device that actually fed through the rope on its own that would be sweet.
Has anyone used the CAMP Lift?
I also keep hearing about PEtzl Mini Traxion but I don't actually see it on the petzl website. DO they no longer make this?

Id love to have a static rope with a toothed device and a dunamic with a backup but Im broke at the moment so 1 dynamic rope is what I get and Id rather not destroy it top roping.
Thanks for your help.

llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130

There is one called *Silent partner.

Kevin Heinrich · · AMGA Rock Guide · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 286

Kong Duck. I dig it.

B Gilmore · · AZ · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,260

I have used the CAMP Lift, it's excellent. That said, I use two PCD's when TR-soloing and use a Micro-Trax for my second (lower) device. This way I have a toothless device that catches me and if that were to fail, I have the Micro as the back up. I know several others that have used and still use the CAMP Lift.

rkrum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 61

TR solo on a toothed device and dynamic rope is fine. Tie into the device as short as possible to minimize impact forces. I tie into a micro trax directly with a length of cord and trail a second one on a gridlock biner. Or a single microtrax and backup knots. Works fine on static or dynamic ropes.

Otherwise modified grigri works pretty well too.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20
Sanllan wrote:There is one called *Silent partner.
FYI
Silent partner is no longer available and the site has a big warning sign that says THIS WILL NOT SAVE YOU.
Just in case anyone is interested to learn.

Has anyone else used the Kong Duck? That seems pretty cool.
doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
Bryan Gilmore wrote:I have used the CAMP Lift, it's excellent. That said, I use two PCD's when TR-soloing and use a Micro-Trax for my second (lower) device. This way I have a toothless device that catches me and if that were to fail, I have the Micro as the back up. I know several others that have used and still use the CAMP Lift.
FYI, Petzl advises against using toothed device as a backup. I think the rationale is that the backup device would see more impact in case of a catastrophic failure of the main one.
BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 385

The Microcender works fabulously. The Rescucender works on the same concept, but is larger. I use both.

It can be easily removed from the rope. Slides along with you effortlessly. It is fairly small and light. It has no teeth.

Not recommended to be used in icy conditions.

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

I use the kong duck as a back-up, no complaints so far.

I stopped using my microcender, and would sell it to you if you like.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

I have the lift mirco combo... love the lift. I use a steel biner on both with a cheast rig made of a sling.

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I believe that Petzl has stopped making the microscender and only has the new version of the rescuscender available. Also, the micro traxion has replaced the mini.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

Kong duck. Petzl shunt. Wild country Ropeman 1. Petzl Rescuecender. Petzl Microcender. Rock Exotica Rockgrab. Or if you're feeling really spendy the Rock Exotica Unicender.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

I have a shunt, a rescuecender, and a solo aid for sale. All are in like-new condition. Of these, the rescuecender would be a pretty good TR solo option. I can take a photo and post if if you are interested.

Sam RC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Microcenders can bounce down a hope. The camp lift seems to work better

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90
DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Might be a dumb question but, why climb with two strands? TR solo with a grigri with a micro backup and you'll never shred your rope because you don't actually weight the micro trax.

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
Don Ferris wrote:Might be a dumb question but, why climb with two strands? TR solo with a grigri with a micro backup and you'll never shred your rope because you don't actually weight the micro trax.
I think people like the redundancy because of the fixed nature of the TR solo-ing. While we mostly use single ropes in most other climbing situations, the rope in motion has less potential to abrasions. There is also that "solo" aspect in which you don't have a partner to double check on you.
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110
Mattisamonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 10
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

I use a Microcender and really like it. Very small and light, easy to load, easy to remove, has never failed on me.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I think you're going about this the wrong way out of a common but misplaced fear that teethed ascenders like the microtrax, ascension and basic, shred ropes.

Unless you're fucking up in some way, they pose no threat to your rope. If you are in the business of fuckups then a bit of sheath damage is the least of your concerns.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Toothless progress capture device"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started