Mountain Project Logo

The best non van van

Original Post
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Insurance is very expensive in the UK especially for commercial vehicle (vans, trucks, etc) so a van is probably out of the window, but anything that's not technically a van is significantly cheaper to insure, so what's the best non van van?

to sum it up

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1

I don't know if they are in the UK, but I love my Honda Element. I have a full-sized van as well (I need it to haul my racing motorcycles and don't want a trailer). The Element is huge inside, and can carry all of my gear, sleep in it is pretty capable to get anywhere I want to go.

Patrick M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Toyota 4runner

Dirtbag Dre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

+1 for the 4Runner. It's my home right now and it kicks ass.

Guys you seem to be missing the point, insurance costs go up with a bigger engine, you are currently recommending massive trucks with massive engines.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Seb, I drive a Ford transit connect van, the dinky one. It might slide in as a passenger vehicle. At the least, Ford is so common it should be less to insure than ritzier vehicles and is way smaller.

It's very boxy inside, so with seats out, has more room than one might expect, just to look at. At just under 5 feet, I can walk around in it, hunkered slightly, but can sit on something no problem.

I expect you'll hear from the Subaru/Volvo crowd soon.

European "full size" is pretty small to Americans, so you might be asking the wrong pool of people!

Best, Helen

Old lady H wrote:Seb, I drive a Ford transit connect van, the dinky one. It might slide in as a passenger vehicle. At the least, Ford is so common it should be less to insure than ritzier vehicles and is way smaller. It's very boxy inside, so with seats out, has more room than one might expect, just to look at. At just under 5 feet, I can walk around in it, hunkered slightly, but can sit on something no problem. I expect you'll hear from the Subaru/Volvo crowd soon. European "full size" is pretty small to Americans, so you might be asking the wrong pool of people! Best, Helen
I have learned this in the small time i have spent in the US you guys have no idea how wide your roads are compared to in europe.
Patrick M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

I have a 2001 4 Runner 4x4 with a 3.4 L V6 engine. It is by no means a massive V8 engine (or SUV in that matter) but it is not the smallest engine either. Im by no means a car expert, but I believe most of your basic compact commute vehicles will come in either a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder option. If your not off roading, then I guess it comes down to reliability and aesthetics of the vehicle. I personally like the reliability and the ease of fixing issues with a Toyota. Good luck.

Seb, I feel for ya. Had an "SUV", i.e. small pickup, when the teenage driver came on the insurance.

Ask the insurance agent what makes are less to insure (I'm guessing a brand from your side of the pond) then start looking for the models that are boxy, wagonish, seats fold flat, etc.

Here, as much as folks love their Toyotas and Subarus, they cost more to buy, more to repair, and hence, more to insure, than a clunky old Ford whose looks are improved after you've run into a few things.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
that guy named seb wrote:Insurance is very expensive in the UK especially for commercial vehicle (vans, trucks, etc) so a van is probably out of the window, but anything that's not technically a van is significantly cheaper to insure, so what's the best non van van?
Seb what about a Berlingo. I lived in one for 2 weeks traveling around the UK.
It's a very panel small van, but big enough to sleep in and i had a small camp kitchen set up too.

vanarama.co.uk/Assets/Range…
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I would look at station wagons. It helps, though, if you're short.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

If a honda element is a huge truck to you then uh.. I guess you just want a normal hatchback? How bout a Honda fit?

Dirtbag Dre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

ok. toyota prius. just make sure you drive it for 9 years to offset the construction of the battery and actually make it efficient.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Yeah, if the Honda element is too big, then you might as well get a 1960s MG.

but really, get a toyota yaris.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Not sure if Nathanael was joking or not when he mentioned the Honda Fit, but it might not be a bad option. I think it is called the Honda Jazz over there in the UK. We owned one when I was into competitive cycling and I slept in the back on more than one occasion when going to the races--with my bike and gear as well (I am 6' 2"). You could fold the rear seats pretty flush and the front seats forward. I won't say it was particularly roomy, but it worked in a pinch when I couldn't afford a hotel room. I was always amazed at how much crap the thing would carry. The gas mileage was pretty nice, too.

Mike Wrench · · Nampa ID · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5

Old lady you a have a car now? Some old post you talk about not having a car to get around. As for Toyota's pick up an older 4runner 96 to 99 with the 3.4 motor or even the 4 banger. They are narrow enough to work for you. Way better than a ford!(found on road dead) Old lady I have extra bikes if you want to hit the trails some time or hit up some easy climbs.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Mike Wrench wrote: Old lady I have extra bikes if you want to hit the trails some time or hit up some easy climbs.
5/5 best MP pick up line evar.
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Land Rover 109 with a 4 cylinder 2.25 petrol engine. Or diesel

Mike Wrench wrote:Old lady you a have a car now? Some old post you talk about not having a car to get around. As for Toyota's pick up an older 4runner 96 to 99 with the 3.4 motor or even the 4 banger. They are narrow enough to work for you. Way better than a ford!(found on road dead) Old lady I have extra bikes if you want to hit the trails some time or hit up some easy climbs.
Naw, no car still. Damn stupid liberal aging hippie trying to save the stinkin' planet in a town with THE lamest bus system...

Oops.

Hey, wait until it warms up about 50 degrees, and ya got a deal! Climbing, hiking, biking, BUT, I ain't humping over to Nampa on bus or bike for nobody.

Don't want to be a kamikaze mountain biker, either, but it would be cool to get mileage in up in the foothills.

The aforementioned car was when my in house rope gun was learning to drive.

Sorry, Seb, but, ya know. Climbers.
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Mike Wrench wrote: Old lady I have extra bikes if you want to hit the trails some time or hit up some easy climbs.
Just don't ask her to lead any thin hand cracks ;-)
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

So move to Canada

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The best non van van"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.