Mountain Project Logo

Secretary of Interior Nominee

Original Post
cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
usatoday.com/story/news/pol…

Hate to bring up any topic involving politics, but this can potentially affect all climbers
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

A little early for the doom and gloom.

Author of news article makes it sound like a terrible choice, but who knows....

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

www.politicaldiscussionproject.com

Admins, can we make a new logo to reflect that as well? (Make sure not to include a female depiction.)

chrisccc wrote:www.politicaldiscussionproject.com Admins, can we make a new logo to reflect that as well? (Make sure not to include a female depiction.)
LOL. Yeah, I am actually trying to avoid any political discussion but thought this is something that might actually have some impact on climbing (and other outdoor pursuits)...
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Gasp! Open public lands for use ?

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

A little off topic but word is he's picking El Chapo to head DEA.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

Despite this election, there will still be plenty of climbing in the U.S. There was also a lot of outcry from the same groups when GWB appointed Gale Norton for the same position 16 years ago. We survived that. Even the Trump administration is not going to sell off National Parks and probably won't downgrade National Monuments either. Climbing areas on state or locally owned land will not be affected at all.

On a side note, what are the most threatened climbing areas out there? I can think of Oak Flat but not much else. Does the Access Fund make such a list?

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
djh860 wrote:Gasp! Open public lands for use ?
If you mean use for oil and gas exploration, then yes!
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
Mike Lane wrote:A little off topic but word is he's picking El Chapo to head DEA.
Wakefraud to head the CDC
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
plantmandan wrote:On a side note, what are the most threatened climbing areas out there? I can think of Oak Flat but not much else. Does the Access Fund make such a list?
Utah's congressional reps have been trying to sell off much of it's public land. Also, some asshat is trying to develop parts of red rock into the urban sprawl. I'm worried for the future of our public lands.
jcallaway · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
outside.prx.org/2016/11/the…

Outside did an interview with Sally Jewel, the current secretary of the interior. For anyone interested, it's worth a listen...
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
FrankPS wrote:A little early for the doom and gloom.
Never to early for doom and gloom. I saw someone post (not on here) that trump was going to get impeached before January the first. (ignoring the fact that he doesn't even get in office yet and I am pretty sure you need to be in office before you can be impeached)
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Seriously. An industry lapdog who has filed many claims against the EPA to head it. An equally conflicted appointee to the Dept. of the Interior. Even from an arm's length, why would anyone reasonably believe you would need more time to determine whether these appointments will be good for the environment?

Fat Dad wrote:Seriously. An industry lapdog who has filed many claims against the EPA to head it. An equally conflicted appointee to the Dept. of the Interior. Even from an arm's length, why would anyone reasonably believe you would need more time to determine whether these appointments will be good for the environment?
Denial?
Looking at the events to date, not just the EPA and Interior selections, it is getting harder and harder to feel hopeful that things will be ok...
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

This thread violates rule #2.

Hey, figured I could at least try to get that one going!

Ted Pinson wrote:This thread violates rule #2. Hey, figured I could at least try to get that one going!
Rule #2: Don't be a pundit (?)
or Don't whine about things you can't control (?)
or For God's sake, don't bring up politics on a climbing site (?)

The last one would be it, though I suppose all apply.

Ted Pinson wrote:The last one would be it, though I suppose all apply.
Yeah, my bad. I swore I would not bring up politics again after the craziness on another thread. Guess I'm just too dumb to learn anything...
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Normally I'd agree about not bringing up politics but this seems semi-relavent considering much of climbing in the US is on public lands, which will probably be threatened even more in the next 4 years to come.

Yeah...until someone comes on and complains about "whiny liberals" or "fair and balanced," then starts microaggressing all over the place...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Secretary of Interior Nominee"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started