Mountain Project Logo

Windproof Underwear

Original Post
AlfredL · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5

Does anyone have recommendations for windproof underwear? Last winter I got some alpha comp pants (shameless plug, they're awesome, especially when working hard), but they are almost too breatheable and despite some warm long underwear, some wind gusts can be a tad chilly.

Does anyone have experience here? Two models I've found are available are the Smartwool PHD Windproof boxer and the Saucony Windproof Briefs, although I'm sure there are many more out there.

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 6

I personally like the refreshing breeze to sweep the dank mist from my crack. I think pants with a goretex butt would solve your problem.

ryanb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 85
George W wrote:I personally like the refreshing breeze to sweep the dank mist from my crack. I think pants with a goretex butt would solve your problem.
Most windproof underwear are only windproof in the front, perhaps for that reason.

I have the terramar windproof boxer briefs. They are nice and frequently on sale. I've come to feel they are essential for running or ski touring in light pants in really cold weather, less so with gore tex.
Todd Anderson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 160

Craft makes a line of windproof briefs/baselayers ranging from junk-only to full-frontal. The Nordic ski racing community relies heavily on these products, mostly the former. Races don't usually get canceled for cold until around -4 F/-20 C, so when lycra is life some strategically placed Gore Windstopper goes a long way to alleviate screaming barfies in non-traditional extremities.

I use an older version of these:
shop.craftsports.us/active-…
Highly recommended; pairs well with patagoochy Cap 4 and either lycra or lightweight softshell, e.g. Rab Sawtooth.

The cheapskate/customizable version of this is just regular thermal briefs and a roll of Duct Tape and/or Ziploc bags. Apply membrane as needed.

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

A Russian guy I rode a lift with last season was telling me about cross-country skiing on the steppes where he grew up. It can be very windy and bitter cold, but for cross-country skiing you still want breathability. So, to protect "sensitive areas," they would fold up a few sheets of newspaper and put that down the front of their pants. Budget option?

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652

In Nordic skiing we'd duct tape the inside of our skimpy uniforms

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

How about synthetic tights like Under Armor, or whatever.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Whatever happened to putting the windproof layer OVER the base layer(s)? Keep the cold air from penetrating the insulation.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I've used Windproof Craft base layer tops before with good success. I've never used their underwear, but they make really good stuff so that would be a good brand to look at buying.

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,375
Ryan Hamilton wrote:I've used Windproof Craft base layer tops before with good success. I've never used their underwear, but they make really good stuff so that would be a good brand to look at buying.
I use Craft windstopper undies for SkiMo races...they definitely prevent the dreaded "Lollipop".
grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0
Gunkiemike wrote:Whatever happened to putting the windproof layer OVER the base layer(s)? Keep the cold air from penetrating the insulation.
Better overall breathability with the windproof codpiece. Instead of covering your entire lower body in a less breathable material, you can just protect the goods.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Windproof Underwear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started