Mountain Project Logo

Locked??!!

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

How can I ask you to at least swipe something off a desk for a prize, if the thread is locked??

Old Lady H

We can at least give you credit for responding. So. Thanks.

user id · · SMOGden, UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 75

You need some real friends.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

It's an interesting move, to lock the thread. Seems 1 of 5 possible reactions:

• Delete
  • Delete specific posts
  • Ban users
  • Lock
  • Do nothing

Given this forum doesn't have an illusions of being a place of free speech or open exchange of ideas, locking I think was an OK move if the admins decided they didn't like the interactions that were going on. The other options...They'd get people really offside if they came to light.

Personally my stance would either be do nothing or just deleting identity politics stuff (from any side) as off topic - given this is a climbing forum. I'd much rather we got back to our regular programming of what belay device is safest...
greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276

Extremely rude User. Old lady H is probably the kindest person on this forum. I'm sure she has quite a few friends.

Old Lady H love your comments and constant curiosity! You are an extremely valued member of the forum. Good luck stealing this prize? Haha I missed what this was about.

Luke Douglas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 550

Weak sauce Shannon.
Old Lady H you rock!

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Is it me,or is locking that thread a big fucking microaggression?

m kelley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:How can I ask you to at least swipe something off a desk for a prize, if the thread is locked?? Old Lady H We can at least give you credit for responding. So. Thanks.
Agreed. Thanks Shelma. Have a good holiday!
greggrylls wrote:Extremely rude User. Old lady H is probably the kindest person on this forum. I'm sure she has quite a few friends. Old Lady H love your comments and constant curiosity! You are an extremely valued member of the forum. Good luck stealing this prize? Haha I missed what this was about.
I finally get in on a badass thing, my question, and it's one with nada-ola for a prize.

So, yeah, root through the office and swipe me some token piece of junk. It's the opportunity for all to have a laugh that counts.

Favorite prize I won, was an office pool over how long it would take to fix the stinkin' elevator. I was feeling a wee bit sarcastic, so put in my January birthday (this was summer), and won. A used Christmas tree coffee cup out of someone's desk drawer. In December. For my Jewish self, right smack in the middle of Hanukkah. Still my favorite office mug.

Thanks for the kind words. No. I don't have any real friends, but how does user know I am not a delusion of his own making? Hmmm???
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Dave Schultz wrote:Ya ... I don't get it. 9 pages (of mostly crap) to get a whooping 3 questions answered? Pretty weak. Seems like mp.com is trying to stop the bleeding and get on with life. I hope it's better than before.
In all fairness, it wasn't 9 pages of questions. More like 3 pages of questions, 1 page of legitimate objections and 5 pages of butt hurt white males with boring office jobs.
m kelley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

i know. i hate white males. can't wait till we get full independence from white males. Climbing is a time consuming, expensive hobby and you should either feel guilty for having so much privilege that you can indulge in it, or, project all that guilt on to oppressive white males.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Old lady H wrote: I finally get in on a badass thing, my question, and it's one with nada-ola for a prize. So, yeah, root through the office and swipe me some token piece of junk. It's the opportunity for all to have a laugh that counts. Favorite prize I won, was an office pool over how long it would take to fix the stinkin' elevator. I was feeling a wee bit sarcastic, so put in my January birthday (this was summer), and won. A used Christmas tree coffee cup out of someone's desk drawer. In December. For my Jewish self, right smack in the middle of Hanukkah. Still my favorite office mug. Thanks for the kind words. No. I don't have any real friends, but how does user know I am not a delusion of his own making? Hmmm???
What the hell is your Jewish ass doing out climbing? That's an extreme sport! Hell, we can barely compete at sports like soccer and baseball, how the hell are you doing extreme sports?! Everybody knows jews are too weak and feeble to do any such thing.

(For the record, I am Jewish and don't condone serious anti-semitism. I do, however, understand how to joke around)
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
eli poss wrote: What the hell is your Jewish ass doing out climbing? That's an extreme sport! Hell, we can barely compete at sports like soccer and baseball, how the hell are you doing extreme sports?! Everybody knows jews are too weak and feeble to do any such thing. (For the record, I am Jewish and don't condone serious anti-semitism. I do, however, understand how to joke around)
climbing friend,

the jews are they craftier with tricky nut placement, small flaring cam placement, and such?

Shannon/MP, it is very understandable, yet disappointing that no conversation with Shelma was allowed. She was very good natured to take part in what might have seemed like a good idea, but, ... wasn't.

Shelma, truly, thanks for stating your case, and doing so pretty reasonably. I'm sure you would have been up to the back and forth, and as capable as all the rest of us of ignoring or retorting to the picayune and dumbass quagmire these threads can turn into. But, it is also reasonable to move on.

Best, Helen

And MP? Be careful about deciding to "speak" for someone else by closing a thread on their behalf. I realize you just want this to go away, but having the appearance of protecting the little ladies, whether we want it or not, well, makes a few of us feel like kicking a few asses in the assets.

eli poss wrote: What the hell is your Jewish ass doing out climbing? That's an extreme sport! Hell, we can barely compete at sports like soccer and baseball, how the hell are you doing extreme sports?! Everybody knows jews are too weak and feeble to do any such thing. (For the record, I am Jewish and don't condone serious anti-semitism. I do, however, understand how to joke around)
Too short for the shul basketball team.
JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,110
Old lady H wrote:Shannon/MP... Be careful about deciding to "speak" for someone else by closing a thread on their behalf. I realize you just want this to go away, but having the appearance of protecting the little ladies, whether we want it or not, well, makes a few of us feel like kicking a few asses in the assets.
Agreed. After seeing Shelmas "statistical" survey, I wanted to know, from her own words:

1) What does a T-test tell you about the difference between the number of males and the number of females who reported feeling "uncomfortable" in the gym? In other words, what is the difference in the means of the two groups, and is it statistically significant?

2) Did you think that perhaps, due to the fact that most respondents felt uncomfortable due to factors having to do with either a perceived (on their own part) lack of knowledge or ability, as opposed to the presence of butt-and-boob staring white males, that any statistically significant difference that DID show up was actually in reference to their perceived lack of knowledge as opposed to the presence of "creepers"?

3) According to your survey, with respect to the mean difference discussed in 1), and given the results of the T-test in 1), how much total resources should be spent developing womens vs. mens vs. gender-neutral climbing groups?

4) Given your answer to 3), why did you write the article that you did, and why is the industry trying to use it for the purposes it is using it for?

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0
greggrylls wrote:Old lady H is probably the kindest person on this forum.
Seconded!

Most of ya ol I'd not be inspired to climb with, the old lady is one of the exceptions. (A moot point given the geographical boundaries).
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Haha, I'm right there with you, Helen. Oh well. I have enough junk already and just ordered another cam because I can't help myself. Stupid online deals thread...!

Anyways, it was nice to get an answer and cool to see that she acknowledged the limitations of the study. Interesting that most of the responses were NY/Cali/Mass...I wonder how different demographics would compare. Would there be as much talk of microaggressions if the survey were conducted in Arizona?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Out of the loop here. What thread got locked?

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
FrankPS wrote:Out of the loop here. What thread got locked?
I thinks it's the ask Shelma thread.

Kind of a buzzkill for sure.

I think the rest of us should send Helen a prize.

Which she can then try to return to REI for a refund :-)
LccClimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

+1 for sending a prize to Helen - lets get that ball rolling!

I'd say a pink tricam but I wouldn't want to insult her with a useless piece of garbage.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Climbing gloves? Liquid chalk? A Skype session with Justen Sjong?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Locked??!!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started