Mountain Project Logo

OR Vert vs. Super Vert (and others)?

Original Post
Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

Has anyone used the Vert and Super Vert gloves from Outdoor Research and willing to comment on how they compare? The website is not very helpful.

I had a set of MH Torsion gloves, they were the right amount of warmth for ice/mixed climbing and mountaineering when moderately cold (~20 F), but I lost one of them last weekend and the fingers were always too long anyway, so I am looking for a replacement. These two look like good options. I am also looking at the ExtraVert, but that seems like a beefier, warmer glove?

Thanks!

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

I'll take a stab although this isn't exactly the answer your looking for. I get colder hands easy and hate using bulky gloves. I'm on my second pair of OR warrant gloves and couldn't be happier. The big difference I notice comparing to the vert line up is that the warrant glove is Goretex. I use them as my all day climbing glove with great success. They are a lot pricier but when my first pair wore out I got a brand new set for free, and I totally think the price is justified.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

A big +1 for the Warrant Gloves. My only gripe: I wish they came with a gauntlet instead of under the cuff. Phenomenal gloves!

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240

Kyle, the idea is that the Supervert is suppose to be tackier (goat hide, etc). I think they also threw a biner clip on a finger tip. But assuming you are using a true tech glove already for mixed...I personally see no need for the extra $10. The Vert is my go to waterfall ice glove. I only use tool gloves for mixed. The Verts are thin, don't weigh much and are relatively inexpensive. I prefer to have a pair per pitch or two if it is damn cold and/or wet so the inexpensive/weight part comes into play. The Vert use to be one of the cheaper alpine gloves on the market. The ExtraVerts are way too thick for ice climbing for me, but I do use them for north face glacier climbs in the Canadian Rockies...steep ice slopes where my hands are engaged with the ice and/or snow. And I ski in them but they are way to warm for skinning up. Def thick and warm. I use a vert or nothing for the skin up, but enjoy the extravert for the ski down. How I use them.

They have been making Verts and Extraverts for a long time. They have evolved some. The Supervert is relatively new.

Hope that helps.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

Dow, that is super helpful, thanks!

It sounds like the Verts have some minor insulation, can you confirm? Back of hands only?

I have good gloves for big alpine climbs like you're describing (I think they are OR Aretes), so I am looking for something lightly insulated with good dexterity for ice, skinning/approaching in cold, etc. Sounds like the Verts would be perfect.

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240

thin all the way around Kyle, no more on the back then on the palm or fingers, good dexterity, in fact I do not hesitate to leave them on for 5.7 solo ridge climbs, etc......I have frost bit hands...poor circulation has evolved....my true secret to -20C days on down is a pair per pitch (if it is a big route), with chemical handwarmers (Costco sells 40+ pairs for $12) already opened and in the remaining Verts on my person or in my pack. Somehow, no matter how cold it is in the Canadian Rockies, I will manage to get them wet whether it be sweat or running water insulated and underneath the fall. Will Gadd actually passed this trick on to me a long time ago and it is much more effective for me than having a big (expensive and heavy) pair or mitts along for the belay.

Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

I've been using the super verts as my main climbing glove down to around 10 degrees, mostly on ice, some mixed. They have great dexterity and grip well. I bet they'd be just what you're looking for. I think OR has discontinued the vert glove, I couldn't find them online in a med or large, that's why I got the super verts in the first place.

Eric Cheung · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Dow ,
Could you please talk more about the usage if the hand warmer ??
Thx

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Eric Cheung wrote:Hi Dow , Could you please talk more about the usage if the hand warmer ?? Thx
Throw an activated hand warmer pouch in each spare glove prior to starting the route, sometimes 1 pair of gloves per pitch. Like that, you're insured to have warm gloves handy all the time.
Paul Dlug · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 35

Has anyone tried the new OR Project gloves? They look like a more insulated version of the Alibi II (or replacement for the Warrant?).

Chris Charron · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 5

Project glove is a replacement for the Warrant. I tried them on at the OR store a couple weeks ago. I liked them, don't remember exactly how they changed it. but it didn't seem so different that I wanted to replace a perfectly good pair of Warrants, but tempting.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "OR Vert vs. Super Vert (and others)?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started