Mountain Project Logo

El Potrero Chico accommodations - who to contact now?

Original Post
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I'm planning to be heading down to EPC over New Year's this year, and looking at some of the accommodations links, e.g.:

potrerochico.org/listing/es…
potrerochico.org/listing/ca…

The person to contact is listed as potreroed@hotmail.com. With Ed gone, does anyone know if someone has taken over these places, and who that might be/how to contact them?

I'm currently looking for a room/casita for two people, for Dec 30-Jan 7, preferably not at La Posada.

Thanks

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Check with Mark from El Potrero Chico Guides, he should be able to point you in the right direction.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790
arielschalet.com/el-potrero…

The Pena family is awesome. Just sayin'...
DrRockso wrote:Check with Mark from El Potrero Chico Guides, he should be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks, dropped him an email.
BrianWS wrote:http://www.arielschalet.com/el-potrero-chico.html The Pena family is awesome. Just sayin'...
I had been thinking to stay outside the canyon, rather than inside, but was aware of this as an option, too.
Wallace Gneiss · · Moab, UT · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 40

arielschalet.com/el-potrero-ch...

The Pena family is awesome. Just sayin'...

This place is unrivaled for beauty and setting. The Pena family are some of the most wonderful people I've ever met. Highly recommended!

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Ariel and family also run some of the campgrounds outside of the canyon (Pagoda). They take full care of guests, from airport pickup to grocery shopping and market tours.
Staying in the canyon is nice to avoid crowds and have first access to climbs, but some folks dig the scene of a crowded campground.

BrianWS wrote:Ariel and family also run some of the campgrounds outside of the canyon (Pagoda). They take full care of guests, from airport pickup to grocery shopping and market tours. Staying in the canyon is nice to avoid crowds and have first access to climbs, but some folks dig the scene of a crowded campground.
I've stayed at La Pagoda previously, and it was on my list. I didn't know it was the same family -- I had contacted mario@quintalapagoda.com to ask about reservations there, but have not heard back yet. If that isn't the best current contact for La Pagoda, an update would be appreciated.
Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

Took bit for La Pagoda to get back to me, but they eventually did. WAY cheaper than Posada! I'd email Pagoda again; I waited two weeks for a reply but eventually got one.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Pagodas kitchen always worked for me, much bigger and less crowded than Posada's kitchen.

Mark Grundon · · Lee Vining · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 2,076

Thanks for contacting me David. It looks like I might as well drop a plug here anyways. If anyone else is looking for accommodations for El Potrero Chico you can book many options at:
El Potrero Chico Accomodations
We can book the following locations for you:

Lemuria -The new hotel at the entrance of the canyon
Casa de Wero
Casa Temo
Casa Guiterrez
Casa Cisneros
Homeros
Rancho Sendero
Mi Pueblito
Quinta Santa Barbara
Quinta La Casita
Casa San Jose
Rancho Mezquite - RV on a private lot for those looking for private party spot

Frank Madden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

Definitely check out Rancho El Sendero, the new campground has a small and large house on their property. They may still have availability.

Rancho El Sendero

Frank Madden wrote:Definitely check out Rancho El Sendero, the new campground has a small and large house on their property. They may still have availability. Rancho El Sendero
Frank, are you doing the new guidebook for EPC? Is it in print yet? (I'm aware of a Rakkup edition, I just happen to be old-fashioned and like paper.)
Mark Grundon wrote:Thanks for contacting me David. It looks like I might as well drop a plug here anyways.
Mark has been friendly and responsive to my booking request and questions.
Frank Madden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

Yea I'm working on the new guidebook for the area, it's getting real close to being done. The Rakkup version is all the info I have to date. Wanted to make it available in some way for this season for everyone coming down. But hoping to print come January, early February.

Johnathan C · · Missouri · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85
Frank Madden wrote:Definitely check out Rancho El Sendero, the new campground has a small and large house on their property. They may still have availability. Rancho El Sendero
+1

Friends with the family that runs this place. Really amazing folks!
Helen L · · Toronto, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 341

Hi all, going to be there this coming Dec/Jan (over new years) and was looking at La Posada - is there a reason not to stay there? Would like to be close to the crag, somewhere where we can meet other climbers (but not kept up late at night by loud parties), and most important of all, clean. Not too sussed about the pool since it will be cold-ish anyway. Looking at indoor accommodations rather than camping.

Rudy Peckham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 482

La Posada is fine. Like Frank said above though Ranch El Sendero is def worth checking out. If anyone is looking for a place to stay we can help with the reservation. We also have an airport shuttle for those flying in.

Mark Grundon · · Lee Vining · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 2,076

You can now book certain houses instantly online.

Mario González · · Hidalgo, Hidalgo, MX · Joined Dec 2023 · Points: 0
David Gibbs wrote: I'm planning to be heading down to EPC over New Year's this year, and looking at some of the accommodations links, e.g.: potrerochico.org/listing/es… potrerochico.org/listing/ca… The person to contact is listed as potreroed@hotmail.com. With Ed gone, does anyone know if someone has taken over these places, and who that might be/how to contact them? I'm currently looking for a room/casita for two people, for Dec 30-Jan 7, preferably not at La Posada. Thanks

You can write to Pagoda (mario@quintalapagoda.com) and we will quoted a.s.a.p

Mario González · · Hidalgo, Hidalgo, MX · Joined Dec 2023 · Points: 0
David Gibbs wrote: I'm planning to be heading down to EPC over New Year's this year, and looking at some of the accommodations links, e.g.: potrerochico.org/listing/es… potrerochico.org/listing/ca… The person to contact is listed as potreroed@hotmail.com. With Ed gone, does anyone know if someone has taken over these places, and who that might be/how to contact them? I'm currently looking for a room/casita for two people, for Dec 30-Jan 7, preferably not at La Posada. Thanks

You can write to Pagoda (mario@quintalapagoda.com) and we will quoted a.s.a.p

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "El Potrero Chico accommodations - who to contac…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started