Mountain Project Logo

Petzl packs and rope bags

Original Post
A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I'm looking at the Petzl offerings as far as crag packs and rope bags. Namely, looking at the Bug, Bolsa, Kab, and standard rope bag. My goal is a crag day setup for sport climbing.

It looks like the older version of the Bug had straps on the bottom for carrying a rope, either un-bagged, or in a roll type bag/tarp. The newest Bug does not. So what I would like to know is, if you use the latest version, have you a decent way to attach your rope bag to the outside?

As far as the Kab, if you've used it, have you found it large enough for a 70m, plus the requisite stuff for a day of single-pitch sport climbing? I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of the courier style, but it looks like a nice bag nonetheless.

Let's assume for brevity's sake that I am only considering Petzl for right now.

Thanks!

Christian Black · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 365

I can fit my 70m 9.5 rope, set of draws, harness, and maaaaybe some shoes in the Petzl Bolsa bag I own. However my rope is kinda stiff so it may take up more room than a more supple 70m. The shoulder straps aren't comfortable for carrying more than about 20 minutes.

Good to know. I am leaning away from the Bolsa. It looks like a great dedicated rope bag if you put it inside of another pack on longer approaches, and just use the straps for moving between routes at the same crag.

oakwood-jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Big fan of the Bolsa. Fits my 60m 9.8, sport rack w/12 draws, shoes, harness, chalk bag, guidebook, light jacket, Nalgene, and an afternoons worth of snacks without cramming everything in, but not too much room to spare. All my approaches are less than 30min, but for typical sport climbing like that it's been perfect.

Space might be more limited with a 70m, but I figured I'd share my experience.

Thanks for the input. The Bolsa looks like a great rope bag. I really like how quickly and easily it appears to pack up the rope. I am leaning toward the Kab at this point for the extra space and features. I will follow with a review on whatever I choose.

crom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 25

The bug isnt a cragging bag, its more suited to multipitch. It had a rope holder on the top of the pack, hydration sleeve, stowable hip belt. I picked one up for my trip to red rocks and it was great, comfortable carrying a 70m rope, water, food, climbing essentials, and guide book. When i seconded with it, it was very comfortable to climb with. If you want a craggin pack, i'd look at other options. I personally use a Deuter 65 liter bag as my general all around bag, swallows all my gear, super comfy with heavy loads, tough construction. I would never use it at a place where i needed to climb with it though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Petzl packs and rope bags"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started