Mountain Project Logo

Camping Options Near Gunks?

Original Post
gabe.fs · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

Hi all,

I used to go to college near the Gunks, and learned to climb in the Trapps. After a several-year hiatus (living in NYC), I've gotten back to climbing. I'm looking to take my girlfriend, who has never climbed outdoors before, to toprope in Peterskill next weekend (October 2).

Having never needed housing in the Gunks before, and with the MUA closing, do any options exist outside of the new Samuel Pryor campground? That site has been booked up for weeks and we can't get a reservation. Seems like this new campground is now the only option, and it's at capacity.

We'll have a tent and a car, and are fairly flexible with where we stay. Are there any other somewhat convenient campgrounds? Or known places where we could quietly post-up?

Thanks,
g

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

Google shows a few camp grounds in the area...

google.com/maps/search/camg…@41.7315646,-74.2353168,12z?hl=en

The KOA to the West of town and the Hostel seem like the 'best' options. There's also some motels, depending on how much $$ you can spend /night.

One MP member rents rooms and lives very close to the Trapps...

mountainproject.com/v/dorm-…

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

Yea they read this and they will shut it down.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66

Also still two MUA, per RGolgd's post

rgold wrote:What's happened is that proximity now costs, and free camping is no longer close. There are two MUA's about 20 miles away: The Hemlock Ridge MUA is about 19 miles (1/2 hr.) from the Trapps. google.com/maps/dir/Mohonk+…@41.6885031,-74.1850221,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x89dd21d9083f20cb:0x5e4c47d4ce5005a9!2m2!1d-74.198559!2d41.737146!1m0 About the same distance and driving time in the other direction is the Shawangunk Ridge State Forest MUA. google.com/maps/dir/Mohonk+…@41.6909512,-74.3546993,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x89dd21d9083f20cb:0x5e4c47d4ce5005a9!2m2!1d-74.198559!2d41.737146!1m0
gabe.fs · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

It looks like I kicked off a hot topic. Sorry if this hit some touchy subjects. The farm camping option sounds excellent, thanks!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I recently noticed that although Rock and Snow used to list the two MUA's I mentioned as camping possibilities, they no longer do so. There might be a reason for that...

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Besides the Bed'nBreakfast, options (1on Cragswood Road) .There was a Camp ground on Creeklocks Rd in Rosendale, which works out as near or closer than options on the other side of the ridge. Ask if there is still Climbing allowed at the Water Works area? That place while short would be a great 1st outside top rope experience.

Creekview Campsite
227 Creek Locks Road
Rosendale, NY 12472

Phone: 845.658.9142
E-mail: contact@creekviewcampsite.com

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Walmart parking lot is only 15 down the road. Downside is, very well lit.

jdrago · · Rosendale, NY · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 20

The Campground doesn't reserve all it sites online. You have a VERY high chance of just walking in and getting a site. Especially on a Friday or earlier in the day Saturday. Very few times did we ever have to turn people away. SoHi campground in Accord is another option and good people. The MUA's that were posted are getting trashed already so it was advised to stop advertising these other MUA's. Now it is hunting season as of Saturday and those areas are actively hunted as well. Maybe not the best camping spot.

Shawn Daugherty · · State College, PA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 142

Just called the AAC campground and I don't know if there policy has changed but now they do reserve all of their sites and don't have a walk up or communal area like they do at some other AAC campgrounds.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I havernt been there is almost 20 years but might pass through picking up a van. where is the wall mart?

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 260

There def isn't a Wal-Mart in New Paltz. The town actually fought pretty hard against that through the zoning board a few years ago.  

DL

David Forrest · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote: I havernt been there is almost 20 years but might pass through picking up a van. where is the wall mart?

I believe the nearest Wal-Mart is in Wawarsing on the west side of the ridge. Bout 20 minutes from the West trapps parking lot if I remember correctly (in the opposite direction from New Paltz)

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815
Shawn Daugherty wrote: Just called the AAC campground and I don't know if there policy has changed but now they do reserve all of their sites and don't have a walk up or communal area like they do at some other AAC campgrounds.

Last March the space next to the pavillion was for communal camping. Dunno if things have changed but in general the AAC campground in the Gunks sucks, no van camping even if you reserve a tent site, overpriced and crowded. Nothing like the AAC in New River which is awesome.

Shawn Daugherty · · State College, PA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 142
DrRockso wrote:

Last March the space next to the pavillion was for communal camping. Dunno if things have changed but in general the AAC campground in the Gunks sucks, no van camping even if you reserve a tent site, overpriced and crowded. Nothing like the AAC in New River which is awesome.

100% agree

brianszero · · Rogers, Ky · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 21
theDrRockso wrote:

I have never seen communal camping there since opening.  They may make an exception when they do the "aac cleanup" when "volunteers" donate their time for maintenance. They have some walk in sites in the woods behind the pavilion. They also do and always allowed van camping as seen on their page up to 22 feet/small pop ups/campers.. I know a 20 ft long van barely makes it around the one way circle in the campground so that is probably the limiting factor.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815
brianszero wrote:

I have never seen communal camping there since opening.  They may make an exception when they do the "aac cleanup" when "volunteers" donate their time for maintenance. They have some walk in sites in the woods behind the pavilion. They also do and always allowed van camping as seen on their page up to 22 feet/small pop ups/campers.. I know a 20 ft long van barely makes it around the one way circle in the campground so that is probably the limiting factor.

When we were there last March the campground manager was very adamant that no one was allowed to sleep in their vehicle at the campsites, length of the vehicle was not a limiting factor since he was cool with us parking it back there just not sleeping in it. People were "communally" camped near the firepit by the pavillion, college group I believe. Perhaps "group camping site" would have been a better description than communal. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth. Didn't fit our needs so we end up just bivying elsewhere for free, quieter, closer, and less of a pain in the ass. 

Brian Glenn · · Middletown, CT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 55

So now it's 2019.  As noted above, an inexpensive option is:
Creekview Campsite
227 Creek Locks Road
Rosendale, NY 12472

Phone:  845.658.9142
E-mail:  contact@creekviewcampsite.com

It's nothing fancy, the shower works but is barely above freezing, but there is a functioning bathroom, the place feels safe, and it is inexpensive.

MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,226

Let it be known that the rail trail parking lot in Rosendale is NOT a viable car camping option despite the lack of signage. We got kicked out over memorial day weekend by the cops (after a little hassling). Wound up at the state forest which was empty and served our short-term, late night purposes nicely.

JD1984 · · Leominster, MA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 866
Brian J. Glenn wrote: So now it's 2019.  As noted above, an inexpensive option is:
Creekview Campsite
227 Creek Locks Road
Rosendale, NY 12472

Phone:  845.658.9142
E-mail:  contact@creekviewcampsite.com

It's nothing fancy, the shower works but is barely above freezing, but there is a functioning bathroom, the place feels safe, and it is inexpensive.

I have stayed here a number of times and it has been pleasant enough.... almost exclusively climbers there. Sites are small but adequate.... shower was always hot when I used it

Charles Nichols · · kerhonkson, NY · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 0

Tent Camping at Rustic Ridge View Farm in Kerhonkson. 203 -858-3634

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Camping Options Near Gunks?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started