Mountain Project Logo

Where do I start??

Original Post
Angie Gutierrez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hi everyone,

My name is Angie and im interested in trying rock climbing but have no idea where to start. I live in Yuma,az and im looking for a class, club or anyhting that can guide me/teach me the basics of rock climbing. If you know of someone or somewhere I would really appreciate it if you send me any info. RIGHT NOW Im lost, I dont know what to do for rock climbing, but I know I want to DO it!!! :) thanks in advance

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Here is a previous thread about climbing near Yuma. Looks like there's not much nearby:

mountainproject.com/v/climb…

The best way to learn is to hire a guide for a couple days, although that is an expensive way to go.

Looks like Joshua Tree may be one of your best bets. And it will be prime season over the next few months. Great time to hire a guide.

Google "Arizona Rock Climbing Gyms" to see what is closest to you. Many gyms offer classes.

In the meantime, buy a couple of books to learn about it and the terminology. Here's one to get you started:

amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-Ma…

Don't go out and try to climb without an experienced person or a guide.

Good luck.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Angie, a little Googling...World Gym in Yuma says it has "rock climbing"--not sure if that means outdoor classes or an indoor wall. You might ask there about how to get in touch with other climbers. The idea would be to find a climbing group and a good, safe mentor to help you along. I would also highly recommend taking some beginning classes even if you have to travel to Phoenix or Tucson over several weekends to do do so. A bit of Googling for "rock climbing classes Arizona" and you should find some info. (Arizona Climbing and Adventure School, Arizona Mountaineering Club, etc.) Oh, and if you are in to Meet Up groups, try Yuma Outdoor Adventures--some are rock climbers apparently. I grew up in AZ and learned to climb around the Phoenix-Carefree-Pinnacle Peak area so have fond memories from there. Never climbed around Yuma but apparently there is some decent climbing not too far away. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

Angie...great that you're asking questions. You obviously found Mountain Project, so if you dig a bit more you'll find lots of resources. Try rockandice.com (Rock & Ice Magazine) for lots of helpful information and videos. Many great tips from the American Mtn Guides Assoc (AMGA) on the site and the weekend whippers show you what not to do. Also, look into the Red Rock Rendezvous 2016 near Las Vegas in late March/early April and Climb Smart in Joshua Tree in October. Lots of great clinics and supportive members of the tribe to learn from. Check out rockclimbing.org (SMCA) for more background. Good luck.

Angie Gutierrez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for all the information and resources, I did find the class in world gym but it is an indoors class. Thanks and I'll keep in touch with tons if questions in this new journey :)

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390

You're doing the right thing and searching for resources instead of just buying a rope and watching a few YouTube videos. I'm not sure how I lived... Anyways, if your gym in Yuma has an actual roped wall, they should be able to teach you basic toprope climbing and belaying and possibly lead climbing/belaying depending on the wall setup. Ideally, you'll be able to meet other climbers who will help show you around, although I think the only close climbing there is some adventurous trad, which is not exactly ideal for a beginner. Another resource, after you get safe climbing/belaying techniques down, you can look for Meetup groups (meetup.com) in the area. Rock Climbers of San Diego seems to go to J tree frequently, and I've climbed with Tucson Rock Climbers many times and they have a great mix of beginners to advanced climbers who go up Mt Lemmon just about every weekend. Hope this helps.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Where do I start??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started