Mountain Project Logo

Lost my whole big wall kit in a car rental theft on 9-17-16 in Campbell California

Original Post
Ben Maxfield · · Parsonsfield Maine · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

Hello everyone, so after a great trip to Yosemite valley this last past 2 weeks 9-4/9-17 I was returning back to SanJose California to return a rental car and meet a friend I was pumping gas and getting a coffee inside the gas station when a person jumped into my car and took off! We had the police there within 5 minutes looking at the survalance camera and getting the license plate number. The car had all my bigwall kit in there with camping gear as well. The list is huge but almost all the gear is marked with green and yellow tape, the yellow being in the middle of the thicker green. There was a Conrad ace portaledge , goalZero nomad, ems sleeping bag, thermarest, jetboil , tons of alien cams with the whole offset sizes , a double complete set of camalots , over 70 free biners of black diamond and camp nano .... Patagonia goretex grey super alpine jacket , Patagonia green torrent rain shell , bibler bigwall bivy yellow , the list keeps going when u loss a bigwall kit! So anyways I am very bummed and only hope the police find the car and kit inside soon. Thanks anyone that's going to help , Ben

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20

Ouch.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Ben Maxfield wrote:...I was pumping gas and getting a coffee inside the gas station when a person jumped into my car and took off!
Were the keys in the car?
n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Marc801 wrote: Were the keys in the car?
Why does it matter? He was the victim of a crime. He's not asking for your sympathy or your judgment. He doesn't need your help figuring out how to prevent future thefts. He's just hoping to recover his stolen goods.
n00b wrote: Why does it matter? He was the victim of a crime. He's not asking for your sympathy or your judgment. He doesn't need your help figuring out how to prevent future thefts. He's just hoping to recover his stolen goods.
I'm just trying to understand how this happened.
I hope for his sake that everything is recovered, including the car. If the keys were indeed left in the car, the gear is the least of his worries as he will be responsible for replacing the car as well.
vincent L. · · Redwood City · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 560

Don't we need a description of the rental car as well...?

I'm sure we've all left the car running for a second...

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441
vincent L. wrote:Don't we need a description of the rental car as well...? I'm sure we've all left the car running for a second...
I think this is more of a "let me know if you see my gear on Craigslist" kind of post.
vincent L. wrote:Don't we need a description of the rental car as well...? I'm sure we've all left the car running for a second...
If a car is stolen and it was left unattended with the keys in it, especially if running, no insurance company in the country is going to cover the loss. The owner/renter/lessor is responsible for the value of the loan/vehicle/lease. Rental companies will also attempt to recover the daily rental fee for the days they could not rent the vehicle. That's why I said up-thread that the stolen climbing gear may be the least of the OP's worries.
beaki · · San Jose · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 100

I live in the area and will keep my eyes open. hope you get out of this ok!

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Marc801 wrote: If a car is stolen and it was left unattended with the keys in it, especially if running, no insurance company in the country is going to cover the loss. The owner/renter/lessor is responsible for the value of the loan/vehicle/lease. Rental companies will also attempt to recover the daily rental fee for the days they could not rent the vehicle. That's why I said up-thread that the stolen climbing gear may be the least of the OP's worries.
Right. So what. Not relevant to anything. What's relevant is "have you seen his gear?"

Your question looks to me like a transparent effort to take a holier-than-thou attitude and blame the guy for having his car and gear stolen.

This was a more or less look out for tons of bigwall gear around San fransico area , there's tons of aid gear with a one of a kind Conrad Anker single ledge. All my gear was marker green and yellow middle strip on everything! All I am asking is Bay Area peeps keep there eyes open. My big ElCap pig was Blue with the words BigRigPig on the top near the metolius label. So much personal gear was stolen it hurts:-( the car was found on Monday 9-19-16 by a San Mantio cop by pulling over a Mexican dude with 2 little children in the car. The person isn't talking and I wouldn't think is even the car theft. My contact number is 207-468-1133 if anyone here's of bigwall gear for sale. Thanks Ben

And yes for the record I was tired and it was 4am and nobody around so I made the mistake of leaving the keys in the car :-(

Adam Fleming wrote: I think this is more of a "let me know if you see my gear on Craigslist" kind of post.
The car was found on 9-19
n00b wrote: Why does it matter? He was the victim of a crime. He's not asking for your sympathy or your judgment. He doesn't need your help figuring out how to prevent future thefts. He's just hoping to recover his stolen goods.
Yes they were
Ben Maxfield wrote: The car was found on 9-19
Excellent!
It might make your gear easier to spot now.
Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

If you have renter's insurance it may cover your belongings.

Lots of stuff in my kit! Tons of aliens and biners with green and gold , el cap haulbag , ropes , hammer , porteladge , jet boil , pins ,hooks so much ... Can u tell me what is in the Craigslist post ? Thanks Ben

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Ben Maxfield wrote:Lots of stuff in my kit! Tons of aliens and biners with green and gold , el cap haulbag , ropes , hammer , porteladge , jet boil , pins ,hooks so much ... Can u tell me what is in the Craigslist post ? Thanks Ben
Eight days to respond to Caleb's post?

Why don't you PM him and ask?
Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,957

San Jose or San Francisco??

Green and yellow tape or green and gold???

We'll keep and eye peeled for your gear.

Goran Lynch · · Alpine Meadows, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 6
FrankPS wrote: Eight days to respond to Caleb's post? Why don't you PM him and ask?
Rough crowd.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a large rack getting sold around the Bay.
Sk8kidd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Any luck on finding your gear? I was in Yosemite the week of 9/17-9/23 and went San Francisco on the 23rd and had my car broken into they grabbed about 1/2 my rack a slack line kit and 1 climbing rope(older green in a black metolius rope bag) and a tag line (brand new yellow in a cheap green bag)!! Most of my gear was marked with white tape... Bunch of smaller sized metolius master cams with BD oz biner. Set of BD C3 cams with matching colored bd rack pack biners. 12 green live wire sport quick draws 6 new blue and black BD quick draws. And more... All eyes looking are greatly appreciated!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Lost my whole big wall kit in a car rental thef…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started