Mountain Project Logo

Climbing pants for short guy/girl

Original Post
the kosak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all,

I'm a 5'4", 125 lb guy and I'm wondering what pants other small climbers like to wear. I've tried on the marmot pingora and scree (28) and the outdoor research ferrosi (28) and they're all just huge, with waists a couple of inches larger than spec.

I've been wearing prana zions in the men's "xsmallx30" size and they're baggier than I'd like and a couple inches too long, for reference. Also for reference, docker's alpha khakis in 28x28 fit me really well.

I'm not worried about wearing women's pants as long as they're pretty straight-cut. I should also probably mention that I'm not interested in climbing in jeans.

I appreciate all of your recommendations!

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Get a sewing machine and learn to hem, that's what I've had to do with all my climbing pants.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line (particularly the Guide pants) are sold in the standard waist/inseam dimensions. I'd size them now and then wait for the Black Friday sale which puts them at 40%-50% off.

mountaindoc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Kosak -

I run long and am a huuge fan of Montane pants as they make great pants. The best part is, they not only make regular pants, but they accommodate for guys like us and produce long pants AND short pants.

The only problem is a shipping fee from the UK, but for me, it was worth it as a lot of these pants are too specialized for any old tailor to fix them.

montane terra stretch - short leg

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

This Rock & Ice article on climbing in knickers might give you some options. Just saw it today, then caught your post. My wife is 5'0". Good thing we can both sew. She often shops in the kids department.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151
the kosak wrote:I'm not worried about wearing women's pants as long as they're pretty straight-cut. I should also probably mention that I'm not interested in climbing in jeans. I appreciate all of your recommendations!
I tried some women's pants the other day while costume hunting with my wife. Nothing looked quite like the Star Trek uniform I was making for a DJ gig I was booked for (50th year of Trek!). The problem here is the junk has nowhere to sit. It either goes to one side or the other and looks worse than Aleks in a harness with his codpiece.

DJ ClintOris
Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415

I'm also interested in this topic; I'm 5'6" and most small sizes usually have around a 31" inseam.  Was going to start a new thread but found this one when searching the forums. I really do like the looks of the Montane Terra Short, was just was wondering if anyone has had success with other brands. Bump for any others with good suggestions.Thanks! 

NRobl · · Hyrum, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1

Booty shorts: the elasticity will work wonders.

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

Learning to sew or having a friend who sews is a huge bonus. One thing my friend did for me was to split the cuff of my zions and thread some elastic with a toggle. Easy took 5 mins and now the pants which used to hang at my heels are comfortable and Can be sinched into capris or shorts.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

-- Shop in kids sizes, I would try boys 14, if I were you. The bonus is that it is much cheaper than adult clothes, too.

I'm 5'1", 105lb, but as a girl I can get away with yoga pants and capri tights for climbing, and that's my go-to. :) if I need shorts, boys size 12 fit about perfect.

-- Manpris might be a good option, too. Look at Verve, their pants run small. My ex-bf loved Prana (not Zion though, don't remember what's the name of their drawstring pant was, they don't make the exact model anymore) in size Small, and they were baggy on him, but when he got Verve Hanuman knickers in size S they were WAY WAY too tight on him. Yojimbo and Xing-yi are meant to fit baggier, but again you ca nsize down, and they are knickers, so the length won't be an issue.

- if you have an ability to shop in Europe, or in China, lots of smaller sizes are available there... I have a hard time finding clothes in my size in brick-and-mortar stores in the US, even climbing stores that theoretically have more smaller-sized shoppers... but in Spain I walked into a climbing shop and every model of pants was in stock in my size.

jktinst · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55
Faulted Geologist wrote: This Rock & Ice article on climbing in knickers might give you some options. Just saw it today, then caught your post. My wife is 5'0". Good thing we can both sew. She often shops in the kids department.

Funny this should come up now when I've just posted about homemade Gtex knickers to go with Gtex gaiters in the Gear Mods thread.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

My 5'1" daughter is looking for a pair of climbing pants so this is a timely topic for us.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

I'm 5'2" and a long-time wearer of Christian Griffith's Verve pants. They're sewn here in Boulder by women working out of their homes who initial the labels.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

Levi 511's with Stretch.  Best. (climbing). Pants. Ever.

the kosak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys,

I'm sorry i never reported back! Thank you for the recommendations! I'm surprised, also, to see that this thread was resurrected a few days ago. I ended up finding the montbell women's "strider pant" in a jp montbell store while on vacation in december and bought a pair there and ordered another one a month later from their jp website along with some other goodies. They are light, straight-cut, somewhat elastic, have zippered pockets, and come with a  nylon webbing belt that runs through the entire waist loop and can be removed. I can't really imagine a much better pair of pants. Highly recommended for anyone with similar dimensions in size "m-s".

Mark J. D · · Orange County, CA · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

I'm 5'5" and skinny. I've found the Prana Brion pant to be the best fit for short and skinny stature due to their slim cut (think Levi's 511 fit).  

Bonus - if you're a small waist like 28", you can often find them in 28 x 34 (long inseam) for relatively cheap prices on Amazon because it's not a commonly sold size and then just hem them (either by yourself or pay 5 to 7 bucks to a local tailor).  

They are basically a slim fitting Stretch Zion without a cargo pocket, waist cinch, or button leg snaps.          

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Lena chita wrote:

-- Shop in kids sizes, I would try boys 14, if I were you. The bonus is that it is much cheaper than adult clothes, too.

- if you have an ability to shop in Europe, or in China, lots of smaller sizes are available there... I have a hard time finding clothes in my size in brick-and-mortar stores in the US, even climbing stores that theoretically have more smaller-sized shoppers... but in Spain I walked into a climbing shop and every model of pants was in stock in my size.

Totally!

Not the most stylish, if I have to buy in the US, I shop Boy's XL and save a lot $.  As I am very close in size to the OP, the pant leg of XL can be a bit long.  If you have 28" waist and do not mind a bit tight or short, you might want to try Boy's L.

Also, over the past year or so, if you look hard and deep, you will find on Amazon clothing that are Asian sized.  We would take size M (US male S or smaller).  In fact, I am waiting on a pair of 3/4 length pants I intend to climb in.  I am curious as I was charged $17.50 incl shipping.

Johnny Ink · · Portland · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 245

I have a small homie who crushes and gets his pants from the kids section in Target.  Seriously.  He says pants only cost about 15 bucks and they are usually stretchy.  It doesn't need to be Patagucci to be comfy.

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Johnny Ink wrote:

I have a small homie who crushes and gets his pants from the kids section in Target.  Seriously.  He says pants only cost about 15 bucks and they are usually stretchy.  It doesn't need to be Patagucci to be comfy.

Yes, I have two pairs. :) They are comfy and quite surprisingly durable.  Pockets even!

Leo Qiu · · Reno, NV · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 82

Hi,

I am 5'2, I have been wearing E9 pants. They are made in Italy, durable for climbing, great style and fit perfectly for my 28'' size. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Climbing pants for short guy/girl"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started