Mountain Project Logo

Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson missing on the North Face of Ogre 2

Original Post
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Early on Sunday, August 21, Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson started up the North Face of the Ogre 2, just off the Choktoi Glacier in northern Pakistan. They planned on five days for the climb and descent. On Monday evening, their Pakistani cook, Ghafoor Abdul, spotted their headlamps roughly halfway up the peak. The weather remained good until Tuesday afternoon, when a storm moved in. Snowfall and cloudy conditions have persisted in the region since then.

Kyle and Scott have not been seen since Monday, August 22, no surprise given the complexity and scale of the terrain and the vagaries of the weather. On Sunday, August 28, family and friends initiated a search and rescue effort, assisted by local authorities and another climbing team on the Choktoi.

That effort is ongoing, and we’ll post updates as more information becomes available. In the meantime, if you have contacts and/or resources that may be helpful, please contact Jonathan Thesenga, Jonathan.Thesenga@bdel.com.

(Taken from the Liberty Mountain Facebook page).

Leify Guy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 367

A gofundme has been setup to help with the rescue, any and all help is appreciated.
gofundme link

elijah ryder · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Woah, this is crazy!
Bump.

Alton Richardson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 170

BUMP

John Cameron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 275

Strength and best wishes.

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Donated

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Donated.

Chris Kalman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 651
5 Solid Reasons to Donate

GO TO THE GO FUND ME PAGE NOW, AND DONATE MONEY.

1. It Could Happen to You
Maybe you’re not a climber – but if you’re reading this, you probably are. That means you run an elevated risk of dying or getting list somewhere that first responders and hospitals and ambulances aren’t close by. Don’t kid yourself into thinking this only happens to Pros – it doesn’t. It happens to lots of climbers, and it could be you. Personally, I’d like to live in a world where I thought perfect strangers might chip in to help in times like these.

2. It’s More Fulfilling Than Drinking Beer (and Cheaper)
I like to go get a beer at a bar during happy hour sometimes. $4 a pint. Maybe I stick around for two, because, why not. That’s $8. I like to tip well, so I’ll toss in another $3. That’s $11. In exchange for my $11 I usually get one hour of good conversation with friends, often about crazy alpinists doing crazy things in the mountains that I can’t imagine doing myself, but I love to dream about what that must be like… and one hour of bloated stomach. For just $10, you can help try to rescue two alpinists you love to talk about.

3. You Get Free Stuff
One of the cool things about these cutting edge alpinists is that they often share these really incredible through completely free multimedia. Take Kyle Dempster, for example. At no cost to you, you can watch him go on this incredible bike trip through Kyrgyzstan – it’s a Vimeo staff pack, it’s an awesome movie, and it’s free. Or listen to his Dirtbag Diary: Mothers Have it Hardest – it’s a uniquely sensitive and honest look into the life of a high end alpinist pushing the limits without just pretending like he doesn’t have a mom who loves him and always wants to see him come home safe and sound. Just think what other stories we could consume for free if we bring him back from this one!

4. Great Way To Cure That Feeling of “Nothing I Do Matters.”
I feel this a lot. My god. Bernie is somehow deemed unelectable. Trump is a reality. Cops keep mowing down black people for being black. Terrorists keep mowing down crowds of innocent people all over the world. Refugees keep dying on shoddy boats in the Mediterranean, or getting turned away from European ports, or just getting shuffled in to makeshift hovels more closely approximating POW than refugee camps. It’s a fucked up world, and nothing we do makes a difference. I know. But this – this just might. Give it a shot, see what happens.

5. This is Exactly How Things Like This Should Work
I don’t know how else to say it. Nobody wants to be the one to ask for help. Nobody sets out (not even telemarketers) with the dream of asking perfect strangers for money. Nobody does anything like this unless they really need it, and they don’t know what else to do. It doesn’t happen that often. You won’t be breaking your budget if you commit to donating $10 to each and every cause like this you come across. This is a lot better than insurance. Nobody’s looking to make a dollar off you. This is a cry for help in the universe that fell on your doorstep. The proper response is to answer.

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra · · North Vancouver, BC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 3,908

^ This.

Update from a friend on facebook:

Facebook Update

crackers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

bump.

Two guys who are great friends and I hope they are spooning in a snow cave waiting out the weather. But until they emerge, well, please give a buck.

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

Donated...bump

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Donate bump

Scott Robertson · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2002 · Points: 110

Thanks to everyone who is spreading the word and doing what they can to support this effort. No two radder dudes, and none more capable of getting themselves out than these two.

Send good vibes and donate if you can.

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

Donated. Bump.

Even if you can't donate much, the more donations made, the more gofundme.com will share the campaign themselves, so seriously, even small small contributions help!

PaulMudd · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Done.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

positive vibes going out to those guys, hang tough

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

Donated. Bump.

Doug Argyle · · Green Mountain Falls, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 576
awesome.

Talk about a community response! They have nearly hit the goal in less than 1 day. I've donated, have you?
JRohde · · Dutch John, UT · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 105

Bump for some great dudes

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson missing on the…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started