Mountain Project Logo

Erol Altay

Original Post
James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

I am deeply saddened to say that Erol Altay died while climbing in Canada yesterday. Erol’s climbing career was long and prolific. More importantly, Erol was a great and warm person. He was always up for an adventure, always full of energy, and always ready for the next thing. I will never forget the wry grin that was ever-present on his face. It was the kind of grin that let you know he was in possession of the punchline to some great inside joke, and that you were in on it too, even if you were not yet aware. I imagine he had the sun and that grin on his face till the last. You will be missed Erol, see you on the other side friend.

Jay Knower · · Plymouth, NH; Lander, WY · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 6,056

Erol was a good friend and climbing partner.

It's so hard to believe he is gone. News of his passing has hit the community very hard, as Erol was a fixture at Devil's Lake and knew that area better than anyone.

Here's Erol leading Brinton's Direct last fall:

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

RIP Erol. Your smiling face, endless beta, and cheerful banter will be missed by those who wander the bluffs at DL.

Mike Robinson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 251

As I write this, I think of how Erol often scoffed at the reasons most of us log into MP. Ticks, bro-spray, chest thumping etc. Erol always seemed to climb for the purest reasons, personal enjoyment, challenge and comradery. Erol and Terri, have always made the East Bluff feel like home to myself and other climbing partners. Always taking the time to say hello and ask how is life? Erol was a shaping mentor in my short climbing career, not on how to place cams or climb harder, but showing me what life long climbing motivation looks like. My condolences go out to his family. I hope you are still climbing with a smile Erol.

MR

Varun R · · Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 30

RIP Erol. Climbed with Erol only a couple of time but I was always in awe of his memory on routes. I still remember watching him mentor Jamie up The End on East Rampart and the way he was able to recall every single obscure hold, foot and variation thereof. You will always be remembered Erol.

Nick Adams · · Delafield, WI · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 55

Erol was a dear friend, climbing partner and sage to me and my brother, especially since our Dad passed away. I am so sad and miss him deeply. Climbed with him in Yosemite, Alberta, other parts of Canada and of course DL. He also told me what I needed to hear, regardless of whether or not I liked it.

We need to support and love Eric Landman, who was with Erol during this horrible accident. Eric and Erol were brothers in climbing and climbed all over the world together. He is with us still and needs our love. Erol would expect it.

RIP Erol. Love you.
Nick

Lillias MacIntyre · · Chicago · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

What horribly sad news! I had the privilege of climbing with Erol only once, but I'll never forget the experience - or the man. Such magnetism!

Thank you, Erol, for the beta, the smiles, and the inspiration. May you rest in peace.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Fall 2015 climbing on Norwich ledge in Michigan. About an hr drive from Erol & Teri's getaway on a quiet lake at the end of a dirt road in the western UP.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Sounds like an incredible soul! RiP

Joel Allen · · La Crosse, WI · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 265

My condolences to his friends and family. Rest in peace Erol.

Dave Erickson · · Madison, WI · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Such a sad event. I and every one else will miss him.

Steve Sangdahl · · eldo sprngs, co · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 735

Very sorry to hear about this. My sincere condolences to Erol's family, friends, climbing partner, and the DL climbing community. While I did not know Erol , I knew he was a dedicated Devil's Lake climber thus I felt we had a lot in common,the pure joy of pulling down on DL rock. Much respect!
Rest in peace bro.

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

I just met Erol the other day. He floated up Thoroughfare to show me an easier way to make one of the moves. I'm really sorry to hear about his passing. Rest in peace Erol.

Paul Jones · · Madison, WI · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 170

I keep my friends,
Eternally,
We leave our tracks on the stone,
Some of them
Are with me now,
Some have climbed off alone...*

I'll miss Erol tremendously

• thanks Neil Young

There will be a celebration of Erol's life starting at noon on Saturday, September 17th, and, In Terri's words, "I hope people stay until the stars go home." Feel free to show up after a day on the rocks! The celebration will take place at Erol and Terri's house in Baraboo. Please bring your own refreshments. There is plenty of space to camp, so feel free to spend the night.

If you have any questions or need directions, please feel free to contact me through this website.

John Wilz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

This message is from his wife, Terri, and his daughter, Camille, to all those who knew and loved Erol.
EROLPALOOZA
We are hosting an event in honor of Erol Altay at our home in Baraboo, WI, and would love for you to come. Erol was a beloved husband and brother, an adored father and friend, a storied climber and prolific architect, and a man who spent a lifetime called by the freedom of the hills. Please bring your memories and your stories. We'll have some food and the grill will be open for use all day. Additional food and beverage contributions are most welcome!
DATE: Saturday, September 17, 2016
TIME: Party begins at noon, arrive whenever you'd like. Remembrance ceremony at 6 PM. Bonfire and drinking as long as we can.
ACCOMODATIONS: If lodging or transportation is an issue we'll find you a friendly couch or bed or a ride to/ from the house. If you'd like to camp on the lawn or bring a sleeping bag for the floor, all are welcome. There are also hotel/motel offerings in the Baraboo/Dells area. If you need any recommendations, please ask.
GIFTS: If you would like to make a donation in Erol's name, please do so to Friends of Devil's Lake.

WIth true gratitude for all who have come to express their love and loss with us, for those near and far who loved him, and especially for all he continues to give.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Happy Birthday Erol.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

:( Was just thinking of him when I saw his picture in the Guidebook.

It's hard to believe it's been a year. Miss you friend.

Eric Landmann · · Bozeman, MT · Joined May 2008 · Points: 295

My copy of "Accidents in North American Climbing" arrived just yesterday. Page 115. What timing. The Canadian editors have apparently decided to anonymize reports. Not sure how I feel about that... 

Eric Landmann wrote:

My copy of "Accidents in North American Climbing" arrived just yesterday. Page 115. What timing. The Canadian editors have apparently decided to anonymize reports. Not sure how I feel about that... 

Mine too, I wasn't even looking for the report, but somehow opened right to it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Erol Altay"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started