Mountain Project Logo

Fixing a broken trigger wire on a tiny cam

Original Post
Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

I have a little Wild Country Zero Z3 with a broken trigger wire. I know about the usual tricks of people using paperclips, weed whacker line, tennis racket strings, etc. to fix a trigger wire on a larger cam, but I'm not quite sure what to do on a cam this small. The hole on the lobe that the wire fits in is tiny. What should I use? Dental floss? Is there fishing line this small that's also strong (I don't know anything about fishing)?

Tiny little cam I need to fix

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

I'd pop the $$ for a WC trigger kit

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970
john strand wrote:I'd pop the $$ for a WC trigger kit
I would, but 1) it looks like they're no longer available, and 2) I don't think that would work on a cam this small. Looks like they're rated for .5 Tech Friends and bigger, which is substantially larger than this Zero.
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

maybe Wired Bliss ?

In a pinch i would go to a fishing supply place. Wire leaders come really small, some better stores might even give you a small bit.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

You have 4 hardware challenges. By challenge, I mean something that cannot be solved at home depot or lowes.

1. You need to find piano wire in the correct guage to fit through those holes. The ACE in Cap Hill Denver carries it, McGuckins too. Maybe all Aces have it. Super cheap.

2. You need itty bitty swages. Again, super cheap but not generally available at the big boxes. I ordered mine online some time ago and ran out. I can't find a place I can justify shipping charges on something so cheap. If you want, I'll split an order with you.

3. You need a skinny little cable to go in the swage and piano wire. Also near impossible to find in a store. Bike cable is too thick, stiff, and tends to fray. I would also split an order of this with you.

4. You need a tool that can press the swage. Mine does 3 sizes and is a wire cutter and cost about $20. Google it. If you don't have any luck with "swaging pliers", try "nicopress".

I assume you already have needle nose pliers. You should be able to figure it out once you've got all the parts.

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70

I've fixed these. You use stainless wire of the same gauge and re-swage either using the original cable or replace it with old shifter cable (also stainless).

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70

For swages I use copper tubing from an old thermostat. You have to ovalize them which can be difficult without making a tool (I take a rod of hard steel like a valve stem which I sanded down to the right size). The crimp tool is as easy as clamping two pieces of steel and drilling a hole in between.

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186
Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

I'll fix it for you if you like

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Fixing a broken trigger wire on a tiny cam"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started