Mountain Project Logo

CAMP Nano 22 vs. Metolius F.S. Mini II

Original Post
Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

I'm looking at lightening up my rack with some smaller biners for racking cams and the rope end of my draws. Do you (the community) have a distinct preference between these two carabiners?

I can only find the Metolius' at the gear shops where I'm at otherwise I would probably just make a decision myself if I could handle the Nanos before buying.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

I have a whole rack of 22's and the older 23's. My partner bought a few minis to try. We are not fans of the minis the gate opening feels smaller and a littler harder to clip the rope into.. Not sure if it actually is just feels that way to me.

Ryan Hex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 30

+1 to walmongr's response. FS minis are too small and hard to operate with a normal sized hand. The Nano 23s were good, the 22s are great. I own dozens of all three biners.

Grey Satterfield · · Broomfield · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 10

22 have a significantly smoother action and a wider opening.

Thanks guys! I'll go with the Nanos then! Except for when I need a black one, looks like I'll have to go with Metolius for that.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Gearx.com has black 22's for $6.95ea

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Nano 22 is godly. They are the only carabiners I use for racking cams and for the gear side of alpine draws.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Slogger wrote:Thanks guys! I'll go with the Nanos then! Except for when I need a black one, looks like I'll have to go with Metolius for that.
They make them in black, that's what I use for the gear side of my alpine draws. I love them.
Nick Drake wrote: They make them in black, that's what I use for the gear side of my alpine draws. I love them.
walmongr wrote: gearx.com has black 22's for $6.95ea
Thanks guys, I was just looking on Backcountry and they didn't have them in stock so they weren't shown. I'll just pick them up elsewhere.
Jeffrey L · · Hillsdale, NJ · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Fs mini for $4 at sierra trading post
sierratradingpost.com/metol…

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

Definitely the nanos, the fs minis are so small they feel like toys and are hard to handle without fumbling. I hardly even notice my nanos' small size anymore.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Neither, edelrid 19G.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

The Nano 22's are far better in every respect. The gate action is smoother and most importantly they are larger. The FS biners are so small they can be difficult to clip.

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

Edelrid 19g's are actually more useful than they look. Despite appearing so small, I got a handful and used them as bolt side biners on alpine draws. No problem at all compared with normal size biners and the weight savings is big (% wise of course). Wouldn't wanna use them for rope side, but for racking gear, bolt side biners and similar uses, definitely recommend. good gate action too. I found the CAMP ones waay too stiff, hate em.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
SwabianAmi wrote:Edelrid I found the CAMP ones waay too stiff, hate em.
Which version? The Nano 22s have much smoother gate action than the 23s. The 23s suck, I agree.
Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

yeah, sorry, the 23s. I hate mine and just use them for belay gloves and glasses, never real use.

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

The Metolius F.S. are ridiculously small, too small really. I scored some free so I rack my tiny 0, 00 and even smaller cams on them.

I also discovered they do a great job of an improvised fifi-hook when there isn't a climbing store in town that sells fifi-hooks....

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 91

I too was thinking of picking up some CAMP Nanos, and/or some Photons. I ended up going with FS minis for racking biners, because i read complaints about the gates wearing out on CAMP biners.

Specifically outdoorgearlab reported design and QC problems with the Photon wires. The gates failed to close fully after light use, and the measured length of the gates varied significantly out of the box.

outdoorgearlab.com/Carabine…

Maybe the problem is limited to the Photon's and not the Nanos, but my buddy has a Nano 22 (his only one) with a worn out gate after very little use.

Has anyone else experienced these problems, or did outdoorgearlab just have bad luck?

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

I have photon wires on all my alpine draws and no issues with them yet. The gate action is pretty light, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it. The nose can be a bit snaggy at times.

I use nanos (22s and 23s) for racking cam and slings, and for extending pieces, and they are great. The newer 22s are definitely nicer to use, but I don't mind the older 23s either. Due to the small size I would be hesitant to recommend an entire rack comprised of only nanos.

For a non-crusher, climbing mostly alpine/moderate routes well below my limit, the cost to performance ratio of the Camp biners is tough to beat.

Phillip J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 372

+1 for the Nano 22. They are excellent for the price and are very functional. They are great racking biners and I also find they work great for the gear/bolt end of draws. I still like to clip full size biners on the rope end, however.

I also own trango phases and can recommend them as well.

Nano 22's on sale at backcountry for $5.56:
backcountry.com/camp-usa-na…

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

The photons have definitely been more prone to issues than the Nano 22s. However, CAMP has updated both designs and I find that my newer Photons are fantastic - the gate action is much better than the old ones that felt sloppy. All of my alpine draws are now Nano 22s on the gear end and Photons on the rope end.

I've heard that Trango Phase carabiners are solid, but they are heavier than the Nano 22s. On alpine routes, it is common for me to be carry 35 (or more) wiregates, so even the slightest weight reduction per carabiner adds up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "CAMP Nano 22 vs. Metolius F.S. Mini II "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started