Mountain Project Logo

Ethics of rigging a handline

Original Post
Matt.H Haron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 185

Hey guys, I moved to CO recently from Wyoming and I work at a summer camp for kids. Any way I rigged a handline for the kids last week, and this week when I came back it was gone (Old,Old retired rope so I dont care about the rope). Not sure why it was gone, so Im just asking is there an unspoken rule against leaving handlines in CO?

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

You might have to get a bit more specific than "CO" for a good answer - was it on private land? Your private land? Public land - what type?

There may be spoken and spelled out rules and laws about littering or abandoned property on the land where you were. Regardless, whether there are rules about it or not, spoken or unspoken, it seems leaving a rope wherever you left it is likely not to stay there for long. You could contact the owner or land manager and try to get more official permission, you could leave another rope and take your chances, or you could just rig the line when you need it and clean it up and take it with you when you go.

Em Cos wrote: or you could just rig the line when you need it and clean it up and take it with you when you go.
It was on public land, I have almost always set up the handline before and retrieved it, which may be the key, I was just trying to leave it there since other groups use the site as well, so I was just trying to be nice. Also this particular rope was taken from a common bouldering site and I figured It would be nice for others to have it
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Are your scouts climbing where others go? Usually I thought they stuck to their own camp.

My guess is that the handline wasn't too necessary so someone grabbed it.

By all means, put it there on days with the kids but take it when you finish.

He didn't say anything about scouts?

Nor the location - you may get better more useful responses if you share where this is.

Kory Kowallis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 580

Ethics seems to be a relative term. To one person it is ok to take something that is left out in the open. They might think that it has been there for a long time and needs to be taken out of there. For others the ethics are, "If people are dumb enough to leave something sitting out, I'm taking it." Unfortunately, even if you are trying to contribute to the climbing community, there is always someone else that thinks you are contributing to their gear stash.

Well seems like the answer is to simply pull the line at the end of the day. I will do that. Not ideal, but it works. Thanks for the advice.

Guess it's a secret. Well good luck with your camp program and your rope!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ethics of rigging a handline"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.