Mountain Project Logo

Partner Finder

Original Post
John Robinson · · Elk Grove, ca · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 747

Does anyone have any luck with Partner Finder? I sure don't. I have been on here for a number of years and get no responses. Look at my profile and see what I am saying wrong. Recently I sent out inquiries to 20 people that looked compatible and didn't get a single reply.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

I haven't used the partner finder - yet - so can't comment on its effectiveness or the lack of response for your 20 pings. One immediate comment about your profile: you might be hammering on the age thing a bit too hard.
I'm 61 btw, and I don't think I'd word it that strongly, despite agreeing with your concern (about potential partners being scared away).

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I've never used the partner finder. I just make a post in the regional form. With that I've climbed with over 40 people on here over the years.

Tobias Burgess · · Lincoln · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30

I sent out at least 40 messages to people in partner finder in the Vegas area last winter and received fewer than 10 replies (though did find one reliable partner). Lost in the spam??? Probably better off posting in the regional forum.

closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

i'd totally climb with you

but like most dating sites, a picture of yourself would probably help.

BryanOC · · All over · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

It's because you're a dude. (Seriously)

I travel a lot and I try to climb on my work trips, but I've never had luck finding climbing partners anywhere. I usually end up hiring guides if I really want to climb in a particular spot. It's awesome, but expensive as heck.

I'm a dude BTW.

Marc801 give me some suggestions on how to word my "age thing" I'm actually 71 but know that would scare off everyone. No one likes "Elderly" People

Mitch Kelly: Doesn't look like you're on Partners Forum. Also, not much on your personal page. Where do you live? I'll try to post a picture.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I've had some great experiences with finding a partner on MP. It hasn't been using the partner finder so much but I have made more than one good friend from being on MP. I'm a fat guy who has a great day if he leads 5.5. Every friend climbs much harder than me too. Don't let grades get you down.

I've also had some scary days too.

Just keep at it and you'll have a partner soon:)

Tobias Burgess · · Lincoln · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30

One of my favorite people to climb with is in his seventies.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
John Robinson wrote:Mack891 give me some suggestions on how to word my "age thing" I'm actually 71 but know that would scare off everyone. No one likes "Elderly" People
Was the "Mack891" a joke or a reflection of your declining vision?
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
John Robinson wrote:Mack891 give me some suggestions on how to word my "age thing" I'm actually 71 but know that would scare off everyone. No one likes "Elderly" People
Dude get over it! I met a girl on here who's 58 that crushes it. I still feel like I waste her time every day we hang out. Another buddy is 61 and leads Adirondack 5.9+. I met a guy right outta college that scared the shit out of me so...
Did you mean me? I'd put it in my profile. I just wouldn't talk about it as extensively as you do in description part of the profile. I probably wouldn't bring it up at all.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

No offense to anyone, but there are always a group that seems to get partners (more well known?), and then there's the rest of us.

Our experience (my quite capable 22 year old son, and my far less capable 59 year old self), is that it is remarkably hard to get partners, even when it is people who know you. There is an awful lot of "sure! let's go climbing!", but then most bail out, usually last minute, if they ever commit in the first place.

Honestly, personally, your age would give me pause, but in my case, it's because I would feel even more intimidated by a 70+ crusher. Somehow that rubs it in even more than being in with the college kids, who are impressed that I try this at all. But most of you my age, have got decades of experience to my newness.

That said, if you mosey through Boise sometime, you can ask for a belay, if not a second! Or, coffee, at the very least.

That goes for the rest of you, too. But don't flake out on us if you do!

Best, Helen

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

1. I suspect that location has something to do with it. I can post a note a few days ahead of time and more or less be assured of someone competent to climb with. I've spent a day out with people who weren't the best company, but I've never felt like I was free soloing with a rope attached. It's not my gender, it's not my looks, and it's definitely not because I crush the big numbers. I've also found one long term partner who I've been climbing with since 2003, and a couple of partnerships that spanned multiple seasons.

2. Put your real age and current climbing level in the appropriate spots in the profile and leave it at that. While you're at it, keep your tick list reasonably up to date so people can get an idea of what you've done in the past and what you've done recently. Anyone with hangups about their partner's age or about disparities in climbing ability should be bright enough to read your profile and decide if they want to climb with you. If they don't read your profile, that's their tough luck.

3. Your writings under "more information" are best described as "TLDR" (sort of like this post is starting to look). Everyone says they're a safe, competent belayer, and everyone wants a long term partner who they can do great things with, a la Messner/Habeler. Talking about long term partnerships in your profile or in a partner wanted ad strikes me as a little like discussing marriage five minutes into your first date with a girl.

HTH

kevin trieu · · San Juan Capistrano, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 10

I have been using the Regional Forum and Partners Forum the past few months and have had a lot of success. Found three partners within the time period for Joshua Tree. I think Joshua Tree is perfect because its a crag and you can bail if you partner turns out to be a jerk or unsafe. I almost always get a reply from my messages. I only message people that are looking for partners (as in they recently posted looking for a partner for one day or the weekend) instead of random people.

ClimbLikeAGirl · · Keene Valley · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15
BryanOC wrote:It's because you're a dude. (Seriously)
Hahaha! I'd hate to say this is true but...

Been on Partner Finder for as long as I've been a contributing member of this site and I've gotten probably over a dozen partner requests.

Sometimes it's awesome to be a lady!

Per some of you people's suggestions I shortened and revised my "additional Information" section. I tried to "drag" a picture from "my Pictures" to my profile page but, it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Sorry Marc801, I misspelled your last name. I corrected it

John Robinson wrote:Sorry Mark801, I misspelled your last name. I corrected it
This is pretty funny! You "corrected" it to Mack801. Closer....and even in your correction post it's not quite there yet - it's Marc801, not Mark801.
I'd be fine with "that idiot from Utah" as well!
Markuso · · Fernie · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 95

Wish I could comment, but Partner Finder isn't friendly for Canadians. Searching for Canadian Postal Codes brings up Colorado results.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Partner Finder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started