Mountain Project Logo

Trango Vergo

Original Post
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

Does anyone have a photo of this thing? It sounds interesting in the descriptions I have read about it.

pubs.royle.com/article/Crea…

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

sounds too good to be true

Greg Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

I get ”publication not available", any chance you have a cached copy?

EDIT - that's what I get for trying to browse the web on my phone, link works when opened in chrome in desktop mode.

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

Is this the guy that's replacing the cinch?

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118
Ice4life wrote:Is this the guy that's replacing the cinch?
I don't think so. I've seen prototype "Cinch 2" devices in the wild. The climber who had it wouldn't allow me to inspect it and he put it into his pack as soon as I commented about it. However, I was able to get a reasonable look at it from 10' away. It looked similar enough to the original Cinch that I don't think that's what's being described here about the Vergo.

Nothing about the device I saw appeared to have been idiot-proofed like they claim for the Vergo. It just looked like a beefed up Cinch. Wish I could say more, but it was at least 4-5 months ago and I don't remember much at all.

And honestly, I'm psyched. I loved the original Cinch. I think Trango's designers and engineers are really knocking it out of the park with everything they're doing right now. Can't wait to get my hands on a Vergo (or Cinch 2) and play with it.
madskates · · Oakley, UT · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 140

Maybe someone snuck some photos at OR last month? If i remember correctly they had it on display instead of the second version of the cinch. However, i heard rumors of this completely replacing the cinch all together.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Jon H wrote: I don't think so. I've seen prototype "Cinch 2" devices in the wild. The climber who had it wouldn't allow me to inspect it and he put it into his pack as soon as I commented about it. However, I was able to get a reasonable look at it from 10' away. It looked similar enough to the original Cinch that I don't think that's what's being described here about the Vergo. Nothing about the device I saw appeared to have been idiot-proofed like they claim for the Vergo. It just looked like a beefed up Cinch. Wish I could say more, but it was at least 4-5 months ago and I don't remember much at all. And honestly, I'm psyched. I loved the original Cinch. I think Trango's designers and engineers are really knocking it out of the park with everything they're doing right now. Can't wait to get my hands on a Vergo (or Cinch 2) and play with it.
I too saw the Cinch 2 and I got a close look at it (held it in my hand), but I just emailed Trango about the Cinch 2 and they said they are not releasing a new Cinch. I asked when the Cinch 2 was coming out and this is what they said:

"Hello and thank you for your question!

We will be phasing out the Cinch altogether and replacing it with a new device called the Vergo. We expect the Vergo to launch in the fall of this year.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

"

I agree, the description of the Vergo doesent match that of the Cinch 2. Maybe Trango is just not yet willing to confirm the presence of a Cinch 2, or maybe they decided not to move froward with the design (which would suck because the Cinch 2 looked way better than the first gen).
GregMiller wrote:I get ”publication not available", any chance you have a cached copy? EDIT - that's what I get for trying to browse the web on my phone, link works when opened in chrome in desktop mode.
This is what it says:

"
Creating the Vergo: An Interview with Trango Product Manager Adam Sanders

2016 marks Trango’s 25th year of creating innovative products that enhance the climbing experience. Building on this legacy, Trango is unveiling its most ambitious product to date during this year’s OR Winter Market. This spring, Trango will launch the Vergo belay device. The following is an interview with Product Manager Adam Sanders, on creating the Vergo.

Q: Please tell us a little about the Vergo.

A: The Vergo is an all-new assisted braking belay device that will be launched in spring 2016. This is a pretty huge product launch and will surely become a marquee item in our growing line. With a design focus on ergonomics and the relationship between belayer and device, we think the Vergo creates a more intuitive and safe belaying experience.

Q: What are the key features of the Vergo?

A: From the start, we didn’t want to make a product; we wanted to make an experience. Our team focused on enhancing the relationship between the belayer and the device by emphasizing ergonomics and human-device interaction to deliver safety, performance and redundancy. There’s never a need to override the device, even when feeding slack for a clip, which is a huge safety benefit.

Q: What makes the Vergo stand out among a crowded market of assisted braking belay devices?

A: There’s certainly been a lot of action lately, and likely more coming, but the Vergo is still pretty different. All assisted braking belay devices work every time. Period. The only time they don’t work is when the belayer holds them open. Seeing every popular device misused so widely in gyms and at the crag was the real inspiration to focus on the biggest limitation — how users will actually end up using a belay device. The fact that the Vergo never has to be overridden and its instructions don’t call for exceptions to that is the biggest reason it stands out, and it’s the reason I’ve felt comfortable handing it to partners who are about to belay me on a project.

Q: What can belayers (and climbers) expect when using the Vergo?

A: In short, the Vergo fits. The device feels comfortable in the hand and the belay method feels natural. By focusing on the end user, and exceeding industry certifications, safety gets a huge boost. This is because the most pleasant way to use it is also the safest. That’s the attribute I’m most proud of.

We added clear physical and visual indicators on the device to confirm correct usage, making it easy to learn and master, and some of the geometry actually helps to guard against the most common methods of belay device misuse. It’s also easy to control lowering speed and feeds smoothly while lead belaying.

Q: Where can we find out more about the Vergo?

A: We have a kiosk at Booth #3043 for attendees to have a look for themselves. We’ll also have a film with Ethan Pringle and Delaney Miller talking about their experiences with the Vergo, so come check it out!"
Steve_ · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 115
Khoi wrote: This was the most promising image I could find with a Google search
I think that picture is the Trango FRD Fast Rope Descender found here: fastropedescender.com/

I did a patent search using Google and din't find anything unfortunately. It looks like they were showing it at the Outdoor Retailer show but not a public unveiling.
Here is what Splitter choss had to say:

"Goodbye Cinch, hello Vergo. While still in development, I got a sneak peak at Trango’s new assisted braking device, and it looks promising. Designed from the ground up, Trango brought in folks who have PhD’s in ergonomics to help make this as functional and intuitive as possible. Retail is likely to be around $99. Look for more on this in the coming months."
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
20 kN wrote: This is what it says:
That's a lot of boilerplate language...

I sure hope the Vergo operates on a different locking mechanism than the Cinch, so any semblance of that (IMO) POS can be gone from circulation forever. I'm not sure Cinch ever suffered from ergonomic issues; a Physics/Mechanical Engineering PhD would have made me feel way better.
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45
Steve_Sil. wrote: I think that picture is the Trango FRD Fast Rope Descender found here: fastropedescender.com/ I did a patent search using Google and din't find anything unfortunately. It looks like they were showing it at the Outdoor Retailer show but not a public unveiling. Here is what Splitter choss had to say: "Goodbye Cinch, hello Vergo. While still in development, I got a sneak peak at Trango’s new assisted braking device, and it looks promising. Designed from the ground up, Trango brought in folks who have PhD’s in ergonomics to help make this as functional and intuitive as possible. Retail is likely to be around $99. Look for more on this in the coming months."
Ah, thanks!

Here, this is way more promising:

Image of Trango Vergo
Ed Schaefer · · Centennial, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

I emailed Trango to ask about the Vergo and here was their reply:

"You are correct, there is a new belay device called the Vergo in the works for this year! Our current release date is sitting right around 8/1/16. We are really excited about the product and are glad to hear others are as well.

You can look forward to a new, ergonomic design, an improved handle and an overall smoother experience when belaying.

We are psyched to hear that people are asking about it, I am sure you won't be disappointed."

Glad to have a more solid idea of the release date, but not a lot more information than what's already out there. They're really all about this "ergonomic design" language which I find interesting since other information I've seen seems to claim that the new device eliminates any of the potential safety issues of the GriGri (pressing down on the cam or opening the handle too far are the key ones that come to my mind) - but instead of talking about how it's fool proof and safer than existing assisted breaking devices, the marketing seems really centered around the ergonomic experience.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if they put out more marketing materials and videos of it in actual use as the release date gets closer. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic about this device, I'm hopeful that when I see it in action I'll become a believer, but I'll maintain some skepticism for now.

Alvin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Got to play with a prototype at Red Rock Rendezvous -- I'm very excited for it!

You hold the device in a comfortable sideways position where the rope feeds effortlessly out to your left side. As soon as the rope is pulled upward, via a falling climber, it auto-locks. From there it's really easy to give it a "bump" and release the tension for your partner to continue climbing. Otherwise, there's a lever similar to a gri-gri to lower your partner.

It took me only seconds to get the hang of it, though one of my friends seemed to struggle with the bump aspect. Overall it felt very natural, smooth, and safe. I can't wait for it to come out!

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I hope it's better than the Camp Matik. Mine's been at the Rock and Snow Annex for like a year now.

Alvin wrote:Got to play with a prototype at Red Rock Rendezvous -- I'm very excited for it! You hold the device in a comfortable sideways position where the rope feeds effortlessly out to your left side. As soon as the rope is pulled upward, via a falling climber, it auto-locks. From there it's really easy to give it a "bump" and release the tension for your partner to continue climbing. Otherwise, there's a lever similar to a gri-gri to lower your partner. It took me only seconds to get the hang of it, though one of my friends seemed to struggle with the bump aspect. Overall it felt very natural, smooth, and safe. I can't wait for it to come out!
I saw it too. It's pretty good. It's basically just a Cinch 2 even though they call it a different name. They took the parts of the Cinch that sucked and fixed it to create a super-Cinch that feeds as easily as the Cinch and lowers as smoothly as the GriGri.

any idea if this device will be approved for TR soloing or same deal as the cinch?

eli poss wrote:any idea if this device will be approved for TR soloing or same deal as the cinch?
Doubt it. does anyone make a belay device approved for TR solo?

Good point. I just remember that Trango specifically didn't want the cinch being used for TR solo

Really? I didn't realize there was any kind of stigma with the branding of the cinch. why is that?

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
eli poss wrote:Really? I didn't realize there was any kind of stigma with the branding of the cinch. why is that?
Because about once a year there is an unexplainable failure where a climber is dropped to the ground by a very experienced belayer who has been using the cinch for many years without any problems.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Trango Vergo"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started