Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for a new technical shoe?

Original Post
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I am looking for a replacement shoe for technical, vertical, crimpy sport. Think Smith Rocks. At present, I use the Evolv Quest AFs, which are great but no longer made. What I would like to see in a replacement shoe:

1. Laceup
2. Stiff enough to edge well (very important), but some level of sensitivity is very important as well.
3. Not ridiculously overpriced
4. Conformable

La Sportiva doesent seem to fit my feet well and they are a rip off so I probably wont get anything from them.

Brian E · · Western North Carolina · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 363

Tenaya Masai or possibly the possibly the Tenaya Ra, but I suspect the Ra may be too downturned?

Justin Brown · · Bend, OR · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 120

If Evolv fit your feet check out their website. A couple newnoferings coming up that look great.

Danny Poceta · · Canmore · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 98

Sounds like the 5.10 Verdons kinda fit the bill? I think they look pretty sweet, have not had them on though.

Mike Phillips · · Richmond, VT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 55

five ten anasazi lace. the whites work for me, haven't tried the new pinks yet. verdons look nice but fit more like a sportiva

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

5.10 Pinks or Verdon.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
jbrown2 wrote:If Evolv fit your feet check out their website. A couple newnoferings coming up that look great.
On that note, I found a pair of Bandet laceups on eBay for a good price. Any idea how sensitive they are? From what I read, they edge well and they should fit my feet well as all other Evolv shoes do, but I am wondering if they are sensitive enough to actually feel anything.

It's always a constant struggle with sensitivity and edging power since both are very important yet you cant really have both as one tends to decrease the other.
slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103
Jake Jones wrote:Tenaya Tatanka
i had a pair of tatankas for a day and they were absolutely terrible at vertical climbing on small holds. they have literally zero torsional stiffness. at the end of one pitch (that wasn't even that difficult...) the shoe had rotated around my foot so much that the toes were literally sticking up in the air (like little dutch boy wooden shoes).

i have a pair of ras, and i like them quite a bit - although they are velcro, so they might not be what you are looking for. it took a little bit to get used to them on small holds, but once i figured out how to line my foot up a little differently on the hold than with other shoes, they have been remarkably precise.
Micah Klesick · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,971

I'm so sold on the Tenaya Tafira. Smith Rock is one of the places I use them, and love them. They've lasted me far longer than my old Evolv Shamans, and edge much better. 3.5mm rand, so you can feel the rock better, and my footwork has certainly gotten better since switching due to that. The rubber seems to stick to anything, and has enough of a down turn that you can grip with them, but not so much that they don't work for vertical routes. IMO they are the truly all around shoe. I've done everything from thin finger cracks, to roof routes, steep overhangs and slab, all in the same trip, and they worked great for all of it.
La Sportiva doesn't fit my feet either, and were always painful. The Tafira fit like a glove, and are super comfortable. I've worn them on 3 and 4 pitch routes multiple times.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I think it's odd that you want a technical edging shoe to upgrade from what is essentially a comfort all day shoe.

I had 4 pairs of AF's. I thought they were OK some days, garbage most days. Every shoe suggested here is better than those. It's a sweet position to be in, unless you buy bunny slippers, you're going to be happy.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

In the Scarpa lineup I'd recommend the Boostic, even though it's a velcro & expensive. It edges (not "smedge", a technique less useful when you need to stand tall on vertical to slightly overhanging walls) better than anything else in the Scarpa/Sportiva line up.

Some like the Instinct Lace, or the Vapor Lace. For me, while they perform very well new, the last softens up quite quickly. The Instinct Lace is quite a good smedger though... Scarpa is releasing updated versions of both, so that may change.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

I know you said sportiva don't fit your feet but have you tried the katana lace? They are wider than your typical sportiva shoe and for me, edge better than anything else.

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196
20 kN wrote: On that note, I found a pair of Bandet laceups on eBay for a good price. Any idea how sensitive they are? From what I read, they edge well and they should fit my feet well as all other Evolv shoes do, but I am wondering if they are sensitive enough to actually feel anything. It's always a constant struggle with sensitivity and edging power since both are very important yet you cant really have both as one tends to decrease the other.
The Bandits are definitely more sensitive than the Quests, and IMO hold their own on technical edging. Personally I think the discontinued Pontas II laceups are one of the best edging shoes I've used. They're not as sensitive as Bandits though.

What size do you wear? I have a pair of Bandit laceups in good condition, size 10 that I'd sell you for $20+shipping. PM me if you want pics of them.

Doug
Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295

The Tenaya Inti is the best thin edging shoe I've ever used, but it's velcro.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for a new technical shoe?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started