Mountain Project Logo

suggestions for an 8-10 week training program

Original Post
carter jensen · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5

I've twice started into a full 4 month-ish periodization program but I just can't stick to it. I don't have the patience, and when desert season hits, I head south to Moab and trash myself so bad that I need a minimum of 4 days of recovery and my program gets completely thrown off. I've decided I have the attention span and commitment for 8 weeks or so. My goal is to develop power endurance so I can send some hard sport routes this spring, most of which don't have any single move harder than v4-v5. Questions:
a) can the principles of a periodization workout be shortened to 8 weeks?

b) I have done very little training, so there is plenty of low-hanging fruit for me to pick, ie. hang board, 4x4s, arc training, etc. My plan is to build an endurance base with arc-training, then simply focus on some of those tried and true methods I just mentioned. But I'm not sure how to order things in an 8 week period. What's the best way to combine endurance and power-endurance in this amount of time?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 406

Yes, you can certainly run a program in 8 weeks.
What are your goal routes, and what is your current level?
What is your single Boulder grade?
What is your 4 boulders in a row grade?
What is your 20min. continuous climbing grade?
This way we can formulate a plan to close the gap between your current level and the goal route level.

carter jensen · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5

Thanks B! I just messaged youTurns out I've got all the wisdom I need a few blocks from my house. Please feel free to chime in, anyone else.

Bree · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 80

Have you ever tried a Mountain Athlete plan?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "suggestions for an 8-10 week training program"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.