Mountain Project Logo

Camping near Farley

Original Post
Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

Hey all,
Heading to Farley Ledges this weekend and am looking for camping beta. Looks like a lot of things shut down for the year after September

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Sara!

Also, what's consensus on bringing dogs to the crag? Trying to be careful given the tenuous access

Ming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,955

The main area's erosion has gotten pretty bad again - it has been 6+ years since they tiered Wall Of Early Morning Light but I would recommend against bringing the dog if you can, there just isn't many flat grounds as is, given how crowded it is on a nice weekend now.

Mike Collins · · Northampton, MA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

There are always a bunch of dogs. So long as your dog is well behaved it is usually not an issue..

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 36

Dogs at the Wall of Early Morning Light have been getting really obnoxious lately. I'm a dog owner myself so don't get me wrong here, but people are bringing are dogs that have no business being around other dogs or large groups of people. Lately I've been routinely finding intense smell of dog poop around the base of climbs at WEML, indicating to me that owners aren't cleaning up after the dog. And anything more than 2 dogs on that cliff line is seriously too many. Owners are letting the dogs wander freely along the cliff, leading to me trying to belay while 3-4 dogs at a time walk across and sit on my rope. I've seen several 'fights' between off-leash dogs (growling and snapping, lot's of barking) which at a minimum is very distracting to the rest of us.

Primarily the issue is that, in my experience at Farley, owners bringing their dogs to WEML are completely oblivious to whatever their dog is doing.
#getoffmylawn

Derek Jf · · Northeast · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 335

Stayed in the state forest. Camped on level-ground platforms. Short drive to the crag.
Was last spring so I don't recall if they have an end-date for camping but here is the info

Erving State Forest
200 East Main Street
Erving MA 01344

(978)544-7745

Dog friendly +

He is very well behaved and if other dogs get nasty, he just gets scared and runs away. But we have a third person with us so he won't be unattended and we can keep him leashed as needed. Thanks for the input everyone.

I think Erving SF is closed to camping for the year but we found a lean-to in one of the other SPs

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Camping near Farley"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.