Ice Climbing Without Ropes
|
|
|
|
|
One day, I will fix Al Gore's broken internet. |
|
|
...worth a click for solo idiot value! (not that all soloists are idiots, but this one is) Who in their right mind would be cocky in teaching an audience how to solo, take off on a route where the likelihood of falling was high, fall and maintain the cockiness? These are the people (soloists included) that I walk away from so that they don't ruin my day when they fall. |
|
|
Here's article written by a professional (makes his living guiding). Maybe it will add insight (fuel?) to this fire. |
|
|
Greg Egbert wrote: Also your example is an apples to oranges comparison. Completely different risk profile to the routes. Completely different decision making for each route. Try comparing soloing 100 feet of WI2 and top roping 100 feet of WI2. Same climb. One with a rope. One without. Which has the greater chance of a bad consequence? What is the consequence of a fall from 80 feet up in each case? Is the rope fail-safe? No. Does it increase your chances of surviving? Yes. That's my point. I'm just jumping in here, but in my experience, more people solo WI2 ice than top rope it. You only wanna top rope it if you are a beginner and/or are trying to work on your French technique. |
|
|
I like this line: |
|
|
Please watch - especially you OP Greg Egbert - this one hour video for some perspective on soloing and risk from Alex Honnold: |
|
|
People either get soloing or they don't. And just because they "get it" doesn't mean they want to do it. I fully understand the appeal of soloing. It's free, unencumbered, and as simple as climbing can be. But, just like the OP, I choose not to do it. My risk tolerance just doesn't allow for it. Like most people, however, I still tend to fool myself into thinking I am "safer" by using a rope on run-out climbs and often run out easy climbs intentionally in the name of speed/confidence etc...I'm not really safer, but I guess I rationalize that the rope is there should I decide I need it. |
|
|
Greg Egbert wrote: I'm not sure why you called me out on this. I've seen the video and I read an article by him on risk and consequence. I get it. It still doesn't change my feelings about using a rope. Is there something wrong with the fact that I prefer to use a rope? Is there something wrong with the fact that my opinion about soloing is different than others? Since I have no experience ice climbing, my whole point in asking the question in the OP was to find out if ice climbing without a rope is common. I got my answer and then some. Soloing ice is very common most proficient ice climbers solo to some degree especially on long route. Most ice climbers who climb a lot of ice are comfortable soloing up to WI 3, not a big deal if you know what your doing. Not uncommon to see climbers soloing WI 5 around here on climbs that are kicked and picked out, again it's not a big deal, ice climbing is easy. |
|
|
Greg Egbert wrote: I'm not sure why you called me out on this. I've seen the video and I read an article by him on risk and consequence. I get it. It still doesn't change my feelings about using a rope. Is there something wrong with the fact that I prefer to use a rope? Is there something wrong with the fact that my opinion about soloing is different than others? Question 1: not at all. Most of us prefer using a rope most if not all the time, myself included. You seem to be missing the point that in many specific instances, using a rope is no safer than soloing. In fact the false sense of security can actually be less safe than soloing. A number of posts have attempted to point this out. |
|
|
Greg Egbert wrote: Is there something wrong with the fact that my opinion about soloing is different than others? Since I have no experience ice climbing, my whole point in asking the question in the OP was to find out if ice climbing without a rope is common. I got my answer and then some. Yeah, so why do you insist on trying to ague and refute what people are telling you? Are you this combative in real life or just with strangers on the internet? |
|
|
Marc801 wrote: You seem to be missing the point that in many specific instances, using a rope is no safer than soloing. In fact the false sense of security can actually be less safe than soloing. What seriously! Many! |
|
|
rocknice2 wrote: What seriously! Many! About the only situation is a TR set to a twig and a tied off super stubby. Toprope is infinitely safer than solo, hands down, no question. Get a grip on reality. In response to the OP's question ice is more solo friendly than rock up to a point. We're not talking about top ropes - the OP repeatedly refers simply to "using a rope". |
|
|
This thread may seem argumentative or unhealthy, but it's brought together climbers from New Jersey, California, Colorado (I bet Ouray boy knows what he's talking about), Utah, the Midwest, and even Canada. With a bit more bickering and bipartisanship, we'd be like Congress! |
|
|
He repeatedly said toprope. |
|
|
rocknice2 wrote:He repeatedly said toprope. Truthfully, he kinda munged them together and almost used them interchangably. In one particular case, using "TR" instead of "leading" rather undermined his argument. |
|
|
Greg Egbert wrote:I apologize if my lack of clarity has created some confusion. All of the climbing I have done is either top rope or bolted routes on rock. Where, in my opinion, the rope is a beneficial part of the system. And that is why everybody jumped on you: it was clear from your tone that you didn't have the experience/perspective necessary to offer a meaningful criticism. If you get into trad climbing, alpine, or ice climbing, you will encounter more of these scenarios. It just goes with the territory. You may never solo in your life, but you're kidding yourself if you think that slavishly holding to that rule (rather than deliberately saying "I refuse to climb in a scenario where objective hazard makes the rope a liability") makes you safer. |
|
|
if i want to ice climb without ropes, should they be drycoated? |
|
|
I would just like to point out, you can romanticize it all you want, but PBR still sucks. |
|
|
Brian Scoggins wrote:Considering how much of a crapshoot ice pro can be (and necessary the running it out can be due to the time/stance/strength required to place it), I've never found much difference between the leading mental space and the soloing mental space. Basically, if I don't feel like I could solo a route, I'll only toprope it. Points: |










