Mountain Project Logo

BD X4 vs. C3?

Original Post
Andy McQuillen · · Mesa, AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

I'm a huge fan of the Black Diamond X4s due to their reinforced cables, weight, and axles and haven't yet bought any C3s. How do they compare overall? From what I saw on BD's website, the set of X4s covers the same range as the C3s. Is that comparison accurate? If so, do you recommend supplementing my rack with C3s, or is that a bit of overkill?

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415

C3s are stronger (in comparable sizes) and fit in placements no other cam will. Really just depends I suppose, C3s were my first small cams so I've always been pretty partial to them. I carry the red and yellow C3s on the same biner and the green and purple on the same biner to cut a little weight. Since there're pretty light I wouldn't think it would be overkill...you won't either when you need a piece and a C3 is the only thing that fits. I guess it also depends on where you climb most often...I climb primary in WNC and there're great!

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240

Andy, if you are climbing at the grade to need double cams of 000 to 0 sizes, assuming you already have nuts in that size range on your rack, you will want one set of off set cams in those sizes before you add another parallel set. Metolius Master and BD X4 make good off set choices.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

If you get the larger X4's (size .4 and up), make sure you examine them before buying. The early units had a problem with the way the kevlar trigger pull cords were glued in that prevents full retraction of the cam. Cams that suffer this defect are prone to being hard to remove from tight placements. The smaller units have wires for cam retraction and are outstanding little cams.

Daniel Chambo · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 85

I've got some of both, as well as some metolius, and personally I like having the variety, not only for the slight variation in size (for example the red c3 is just a bit smaller than a blue tcu), but also because stem flexibility can help you or hurt you depending on the situation (and this is the attribute which most differentiates c3's and x4's). There's been many a reachy placement where I've loved the stiff stem of the c3, and many a strangely oriented horizontal where a floppy stem helps the cam stay in place.

I haven't had any of my x4s very long, just been replacing old cams with them as they wear out. If you're not sure, maybe just buy one of each in a size you use most and see how you like it?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "BD X4 vs. C3?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started