Mountain Project Logo

5.14a climbers

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295
snowdenroad wrote:The escalade site lists 35 americans sending at least 9a (14d- edited to correct YDS...)
Whoa! There's at least one name on that list (at the top) that probably shouldn't be there, which illustrates the difficulty in building such lists. There's an awful lot of gray area in some of these route grades.
Moritz B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 185

It´s definitely noticeable in the UIAA scale. 6 used to be the most difficult. Therefore 6+ routes can be hard and especially runout.

An old describtion of climbing grades.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Nick Russell wrote: Similar in British trad with HVS (or VS in some areas) being 'defined' as the hardest grade before 'E grades' became acceptable. There's a lot of HVS sandbags out there. I've learnt to regard HVS in some areas as similar to 5.9+; that is, it could be anything up to about 4 grades harder... Is the same thing evident in the French grades at the 5+/6a boundary? There's a qualitative change in the scale at that point, with the subdivisions into letter grades only coming in at 6a but is that because of an historical 'ceiling'?
XS is what you need :-)
Nick Russell · · Bristol, UK · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 2,605
Eric Engberg wrote:XS is what you need :-)
Haha, yeah... I have yet to climb anything with XS attached. There's a few round here, plenty if I make my way over to the Culm
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Sport Climbing
Post a Reply to "5.14a climbers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started