Mountain Project Logo

The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Tom Robinson · · San Diego/ Denver · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 20

I'm looking for a partner to do some ice climbing tomorrow. I will be up in the Dillon area. Was thinking of climbing something in ten mile canyon but am down for anything. I just have my crampons, tools and boots. So you'd need to bring some gear! But it would be a blast! Please text or call me if your interested

303-325-6567

BJ Sbarra · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 671

Redstone is looking great, latest report here.

Nathan Jones · · Littleton, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5

Anything shaping up in Clear Creek Canyon?

Dave Bn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10
rockclimber50 wrote:Does anyone have any conditions or current beta on Al Mixed Up?
I bet it's wind-slab-o-riffic!
Tom Robinson · · San Diego/ Denver · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 20

Yea there's a lot of ice in clear creek, but it's been climbed a lot. Lots of jug hooking

Andy Hansen · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,130
rockclimber50 wrote:Does anyone have any conditions or current beta on Al Mixed Up?
I got a pretty good look at it from Mills Lake yesterday en route to Black Lake and it did not look windloaded above the route but there was certainly considerable snow at the base of the route that could be cause for some concern. Ice still looks great though. Check it out for yourself though!
Nathan Hoobler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 60

How about Boulder Canyon? Anything fully formed there?

mcoopwood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 55

I had a look at the upper flow in Boulder Canyon last weekend. Not sure what you consider "fully formed" these days, but there is a smear that thickened in the previous week to the point of looking climbable. It looked thin near the top and it tops out in a big bush below the aqueduct.

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Hit Big Thompson today. The lower flow is in pretty good shape, seems to be rebuilding pretty well. Upper flow is not as good, with ponds at the big step. Also, lots of exposed rock. Right side is pretty beat up. Also, there are no slings on top of things as in years past, so be prepared to walk off every thing.

Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,800

Secret Waterfall in CCC is in but a bit on the soft side. It's not as fat as the photo on the route page. The hike down from the Beaver Brook trail down the drainage is takes a while. Consider at least a 60m rope. It's probably 160' from the tree to the bottom of the ice, though you can get an anchor in ~100' down. Someone else had already visited it recently.

1/11/14. The thread and screw are ~100' from the rap tree.

FWIW, the ice at N. Table Mt. is there but the trail just above and below (Mesa Top Trail) are closed due to the rain washout. There are 3 lines there, one is sunrotted, one is very delicate WI5?

Nick Fatseas · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2011 · Points: 65

Anyone know what conditions are like for routes on Mount Evans?

ozman · · CO / NM · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 510

Upper Haflin Canyon is not quite touching down, although there is fat ice to the left. There is also a two pitch climb that came in a canyon to the South. I haven't seen if form in the years I've lived here.

Upper Haflin, 1/10.

Climb I haven't seen in before. It's taller than it looks. 1/10.

2nd pitch of climb that is rarely in.

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790
The Phantom of North Cheyenne Canyon
The Phantom.
Anybody climb this recently?
I haven't seen ice up here in years.
Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500

If your looking for a challenge, get on soul on ice (or stone free for that matter) There both probably a bit fatter now. About 5 pure ice routes in.

SOI.

SOI.

sanjuanmtnguide · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 5

Not really conditions but thought folks might like this short video put together by the technical director of the AMGA - : How to Place an Ice Screw on Lead

Walt L · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

A buddy keeps asking me to take him up to Lincoln Falls, anyone been up their lately? I have to admit I've been too busy to climb much this season or pay close attention to conditions. We are thinking of heading up this weekend. Is there avy danger for Lincoln Falls with the snow fall from earlier in the week? I think the climbs are past the normal run out for the bowls above. Is the ice sublimated and rotten? Any info would be great. Any other nice WI3 climbs to suggest? I've been eyeing Hully Gully but am thinking a week day trip might be best.

Jonathan White · · highlands ranch, co · Joined Aug 2005 · Points: 105

Lincoln is in great shape. Plenty of variety.

LawHous · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 481

Anybody got any beta on paradise falls aka the spout near Buena Vista?

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

Girlfriend wants to get out tomorrow, anyone know conditions on Moffatt Tunnel and/or Hidden Falls?

tom bohanon · · Glenwood Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 185
Abram Herman wrote:Girlfriend wants to get out tomorrow, anyone know conditions on Moffatt Tunnel and/or Hidden Falls?
Hidden Falls (in Glenwood Canyon) is fat, and the tyrolean is in. Be very discrete while on the railroad tracks....reports of citations from the sheriff for trespassing.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.