Mountain Project Logo

Flooding

Original Post
The Good Life Denver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 5

Looks like things are pretty intense up in Boulder, Ned, and other areas right now...everyone OK? Houses OK? What are you seeing?

The Good Life Denver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 5
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Lots on our local news about it here in Chicago too. Showed some students out in boats enjoying flooded streets , etc. But imagine is's a real mess. Is Big Thompson raging down from Estes into Loveland area too?

Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,800

From the KOA weather report: Longmont Dam at Buttonrock Preserve blew! US 36 is closed somewhere. Lyons is an island. Exit is through Estes Park...and then over Trail Ridge Rd.

Paul-B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 115

Boulder is a bit of a mess. Dillon road collapsed a block past my turn on my drive to work. Dive team was out after the submerged cars. So many emergency vehicles.

David Rivers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20

Lot's of flooded basements in my neighborhood, some from ground water seeping and sewer backup and a few from broken basement windows due to rushing flood waters. My basement flooded due to the later. Pretty wild how quickly it filled. Luckily it began to recede fairly rapidly this morning. Down to only 4+ feet : )

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

Eldorado canyon state park is closed. Roads washing out.

And I don't recommend the Milton crossing, either.

Milton Crossing. Tricky at 50cfs, somewhat harder at 500+ cfs.

Damn dam.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

^^^

WOW! Talk about flooding...

Mike McHugh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 420

For those of you interested in such things - a good water gauge for Eldorado can be found here:

dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWate…

Creek discharge.

Tony T · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45

This is insane. Please be safe out there everyone. I wish there was something that any of us could do to help. Let us know what we can do!

Here's an album of photos from Eldo's Facebook page. The photos are from this morning. It looks bad up there. facebook.com/photo.php?fbid…

Boulder Creek sounds like it's a disaster area. One thing I would mention for the climbing community is that most, if not all, of the tyrolean ropes should be treated as unsafe. They've reported 15 foot walls of water coming down the creek laden with debris, and I can only imagine what that is doing to everything in it's path. I know it's the very lowest priority, or should be, but I figured it's worth mentioning. I do wonder if the tyroleans are contributing to the debris blockages.

Be safe all!
Jorge Pantalones · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 85

^^^

The Bastille: Now with an extra ten feet!

dbyte · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 485
EDGE wrote:We woke up this morning in our apartment in Boulder Heights to find the entire living room rug covered in water. Luckily we just moved in on the 1st and our belongings haven't arrived yet (supposed to be tomorrow but we rescheduled.) I had to take a ladder to clean out the clogged gutters that were overflowing on the uphill side of the house and dig some diversion trenches, which has slowed the water seeping in. We're using a wet vac now to soak up water from the rug and mechanical room, about 120 gallons so far.
This is the work of God. Because you did not bother to get in touch with me when you relocated to CO you are being punished. Repent! And by repent I mean get in touch so we can climb out on the Western Slope together.

I'd offer you a place to crash while your apartment (& city) is being liquified, but unfortunately for you I live 3.5 hours away in a place that's ~300 sq. ft. in size.
Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Is the lord punishing all the atheists in Boulder? The rains are biblical!

Steven N · · CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 80
Cor wrote:Is the lord punishing all the atheists in Boulder? The rains are biblical!
If so, he's been hammering all the heathens in Manitou for the past two months.
Jason Hayden · · North Clarendon, VT · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,585

Does anyone have any boulder canyon pics...curious about Higher up and around the falls?

Video of kayakers in boulder creek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkoVHzo1Jcs

Clifton Santiago · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
Cor wrote:Is the lord punishing all the atheists in Boulder? The rains are biblical!
"He rendereth His judgement unto Sportos and Traddies alike; Climb ye unto higher ground by no unclean practice, for thee who doth not clean; woe unto thee, for thy sacrifice shall be rendered booty" -MP C1-5.13c
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Jorge Pantalones wrote:^^^ The Bastille: Now with an extra ten feet!
Due to roadcut underneath? Or less 10 ft. cuz you got a highwater start from a boat. Eldorado Kayaking tours,,start today !!! What a mess!
Anunta Anunta · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 284

This is horrible. Boulder canyon, Eldo roads are both underwater and it's supposed to rain throughout the night. 36 is closed, and I just heard I-70 has mudslides west of denver. There are evacuation orders for boulder canyon just announced. I hope everyone is ok.

If anyone hears about any volunteering to help with flood victims or repairing and cleaning climbing areas, please post!

Tony T · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45
Anfarwal wrote: If anyone hears about any volunteering to help with flood victims or repairing and cleaning climbing areas, please post!
I second that. I think that with the scale of this calamity coming into clearer focus, the attempts at humor are immaturely placed.

I will gladly chip in however I can, even if it's for something as meaningless and insignificant as static rope for new tyrols in the canyon. I would rather it be for something meaningful to my fellow human beings.
Jason Hayden · · North Clarendon, VT · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,585

Chipping in and helping is the way to go. I live in one of the towns that became islands during Irene in 2011. We cleared both town and state roads on our own with local dozers and excavators and consequently were able to get in and out of town much quicker than some other nearbye towns that bickered and waited for help. It's amazing what people can patch together with a dozer and a few excavators with dedicated caring operators!
The one thing I would stress is if you have a home damaged by the flooding even collapsed...don't clear it away until everything is resolved with FEMA...meaning you have a check! I know several folks whose homes where completely destroyed in Irene, they were then told after FEMA inspections that they were all set and the could remove the homes to start building again. Down the road they got no money because FEMA claimed they needed to see the homes even though there were pictures and signed FEMA reports from post flood inspections. The folks that left their destroyed shells eventually got checks.

Bruce Hildenbrand · · Silicon Valley/Boulder · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 3,615

My basement here in Boulder has 3" of water. I got everything out and up to the 1st floor, but it was quite the challenge.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Flooding"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.