Mountain Project Logo

26 year old Lost climber in search of spiritual guidance

Olivia Claire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

I've got a good friend in IL who splits her online browsing between looking for a Subaru on Craigslist and finding creative ideas for living out of Westies. If you're interested in selling either, send me a PM and I'll give your info to her! She's been in the market for a new car for a few months.

J Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 50

Some spiritual guidance: Shoot the dog, burn the vans, and start a cult. You could even classify it as a religion and post up a way to join on this site. I would join. I want every fucking religious holiday known to climbers, especially the all so sacred "sentember" rituals where the proj goes down and the gnar gets the send!

There is your spiritual guidance, now pony up and do the leg work. The MP community will appreciate.

Liberty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 25
Lyont72 wrote:Ryan ! Dude I was talking to Taylor the other day and was saying you were going to ID and he was like no you’re not and I was like yes he is . . . Then I find this on MP . . . Now My Thoughts 1: Leave the dog with Mom and get her later or, if she is a lab you could talk me into tacking her for you why you are in Yosemite. You could drop her off on your way out. But I am hoping to make part of the Yosemite trip with you this year! Karen loves dogs so were good . . . 2: Sell one of the cars . . . I would sell the Subaru and put that money into fixing up the VW to make a sweet dirtbag ride! 3: Get your ass out here to Colorado !!! You need a place to stay, I got room !!! You can kick it in FoCo until you find a job and a place of your own. Add to that I bet your brother would sack up and make the move as well!!! Dude it sucks about your girl but now you are free !!!!!!! You got money !!!!!! You got a car . . . 2 of them !!!!! Take the road trip and find a new climbing chick . . . Just end up in CO at the end of it all. P.S. For your spiritual guidance I have a PBR!
Palease! Now let's discuss the guy' s bowel habits... Do we have to bring all the dirty laundry out ? All the advice you give him is something you would do. You all dont know what he wants and needs in life. Telling someone to go climb and blow away cash isnt a brain surgery! He is obviously grieving the loss of a loved one and decided to post here for whatever reason...maybe to justify something...i dont know neither do you all. Its nice to just talk but walking in his shoes is not the same.
Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 127

I went through the same thing. I ran from my broken heart and spent 13 months climbing all over the place. However, climbing, drugs, and booze did not fix my broken heart. It just turned me into a super bold strong climber, but I still had to deal with the broken heart. Time will heal all and never look back. Only look forward all will be good, just keep your smile and your good.

Joe De Luca wrote:I went through the same thing and i ran from my broken hart and spent 13 months climbing all over the place but climbing drugs and booze did not fix my broken hart,I just was a supper bold strong climber but had to still dill with the broken hart. time will hill all and never look back only look forward all will be good just keep your smile and your good.
sounds like a country song for some reason....
D Stevenson · · Escalange, UT · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 25
Woodchuck ATC wrote:You are a kid yet, got cash to spare, no house payments or property taxes to pay, no alimony or 'ex to deal with, you got it made! Head for a place where you can use your skills seasonally and have the rest of the year to go climb all you want, anywhere. Lots of opportunity out there for you!
+1

Talking to a counselor isn't necessarily going to help.

Here's a common theme you'll hear:

'change your environment'

I'd say go for it!

I wish I were in your position and was able to dirtbag around or hike the PCT.

It may sound corny but turning to God helped a lot of people in this situation. With God theres no betrayal just eternal love and forgiveness...it may teach you a thing or two about life... Does not matter what religion, God is universal.

Marla J wrote:It may sound corny but turning to God helped a lot of people in this situation. With God theres no betrayal just eternal love and forgiveness...it may teach you a thing or two about life... Does not matter what religion, God is universal.
Turning to god because he went through a break-up... Seriously?!?!

He's a bachelor again with some cash saved up, 2 cars, a love of climbing, and nothing tying him down anywhere, why would he need to turn to god?
Davis Stevenson wrote: Turning to god because he went through a break-up... Seriously?!?! He's a bachelor again with some cash saved up, 2 cars, a love of climbing, and nothing tying him down anywhere, why would he need to turn to god?
He needs to draw inner strength, you are mentioning material things
Marla J wrote: He needs to draw inner strength, you are mentioning material things
A breakup is no big deal. It's the sense of freedom he now has that he can harness. Inner strength doesn't come from turning to god...

Why am I listening to you anyway, Troll?
Davis Stevenson wrote: A breakup is no big deal. It's the sense of freedom he now has that he can harness. Inner strength doesn't come from turning to god... Why am I listening to you anyway, Troll?
Yes it does. To you a breakup may not be a big deal, to some losing a job can cause them to become depressed. This dude had a lot of emotional investment with the girl, like he said. Of course if you are a non believer turning to God will do you not much good...Climbing, boozing and bumming around is a temporary fix, money goes fast, he has a lot of ties to go on a journey, and he is not doing it at this point to soul search but as escapism. He is too much in control, or so he thinks...He needz to sit tight and let heal then pick up and go to whichever direction he chooses....
Tommy Layback · · Sheridan, WY · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 85
J Q wrote:Some spiritual guidance: Shoot the dog, burn the vans, and start a cult. You could even classify it as a religion and post up a way to join on this site. I would join. I want every fucking religious holiday known to climbers, especially the all so sacred "sentember" rituals where the proj goes down and the gnar gets the send! There is your spiritual guidance, now pony up and do the leg work. The MP community will appreciate.
I love MP, thanks for the laugh...good stuff JQ
Brian Hudson · · Jasper, TN · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 95
Marla J wrote: Yes it does. To you a breakup may not be a big deal, to some losing a job can cause them to become depressed. This dude had a lot of emotional investment with the girl, like he said. Of course if you are a non believer turning to God will do you not much good...Climbing, boozing and bumming around is a temporary fix, money goes fast, he has a lot of ties to go on a journey, and he is not doing it at this point to soul search but as escapism. He is too much in control, or so he thinks...He needz to sit tight and let heal then pick up and go to whichever direction he chooses....
Good gravy. You just have this dude all figured out, huh?

How about we stay on the topic--"what would you do in my place?" and not "please diagnose my psychological issues and best solutions."

Ryan...if I were in your shoes I'd sell both vehicles, buy something better, and take the dog with me. A change of scenery always helps me clear the air and a traveling companion is nice.
Brian Hudson wrote: Good gravy. You just have this dude all figured out, huh? How about we stay on the topic--"what would you do in my place?" and not "please diagnose my psychological issues and best solutions." Ryan...if I were in your shoes I'd sell both vehicles, buy something better, and take the dog with me. A change of scenery always helps me clear the air and a traveling companion is nice.
What I would do? I would say to her : go in peace, then spend a lot of cash on me, like spa treatments and all, wallow in my sorrow by dining out a bunch, take and extended guided trip to Nepal, then sell everything and downsize to a car/home and go state to state supporting myself with temp contract jobs with the man of my choice....kinda what I do..
Superclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 1,310

A 12 pack and a lap dance will help you find your answers.

todd w · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 0
Chris Miller wrote:A 12 pack and a lap dance will help you find your answers.
I'm with this guy.
Ryan Strong · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 1,710

Wow I am suprised with the amount of responses. After reading all of them I realize how petty my "problems" are . I do how ever appreciate all of the insight I have received!!

As far as the westy goes I have considered replacing engine , but I was told from a buddy it would run me somewhere in the $4k area. I think the van is loosing coolant , but at a very slow rate. When I changed the plugs on it this summer I realized the 3 on the one side showed signs of corrosion I figure coming from a leaky head?

Hey Mike Lane, I would say I am a fitter that can weld. I currently hold the UA 21 (high pressure stick weld cert) and on May 4th I'm taking the test for the food grade stainless fusion weld cert. Maybe we could exchange emails I would like to ask you some more questions about that TIC you mentioned earlier.

Either way thanks again for the advice from all.

Mic Fairchild · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 360

A 100 day road trip with Marla-nor sounds like the next great novel.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Ryan Strong wrote:Wow I am suprised with the amount of responses. After reading all of them I realize how petty my "problems" are . I do how ever appreciate all of the insight I have received!! As far as the westy goes I have considered replacing engine , but I was told from a buddy it would run me somewhere in the $4k area. I think the van is loosing coolant , but at a very slow rate. When I changed the plugs on it this summer I realized the 3 on the one side showed signs of corrosion I figure coming from a leaky head? Hey Mike Lane, I would say I am a fitter that can weld. I currently hold the UA 21 (high pressure stick weld cert) and on May 4th I'm taking the test for the food grade stainless fusion weld cert. Maybe we could exchange emails I would like to ask you some more questions about that TIC you mentioned earlier. Either way thanks again for the advice from all.
Any time bud.
Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

^^^Yo, how's that whiskey coming along? Eager to try it as I'm a huge fan of CO whiskies

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "26 year old Lost climber in search of spiritual…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started