Mountain Project Logo

Where's the best slab climbing?

Chris Vinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 75
JP Rohde wrote:tuolumne meadows if you like bold climbing. Stifler's mom in little has a superb pitch of slab, two variations on the 5th pitch

+1

That slab was amazing, for slab, and the 11+ variation on the first pitch will have your toes screaming mercy.

Bryan G · · June Lake, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,297

The Valley has way bigger and better slabs than Tuolumne, and most of the "slab" up in Tuolumne isn't even true slab since most of the domes are covered in knobs. The North Face Apron of Middle Cathedral is probably one of my favorite slabs, although North Dome and the GPA are also pretty sweet. Most of it's too hard and runout for me though, so I haven't climbed a lot of friction routes around here.

Suicide Rock (across from Tahquitz) is also exceptional and historic and probably the best chunk of rock in southern California.

Joshua Tree is great because you can get some relatively high angle and blank slabs that go at moderate grades because of the excellent friction. But yeah, it doesn't really offer the same experience as getting 10+ pitches up the GPA.

Whitney Portal, Dome Rock (Kern River), Courtright, Tollhouse, Hammer/Cal Domes, all offer great slab.

I haven't climbed that much outside of California as you can probably tell...



Dan Flynn · · Northeast mostly · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5,091

And after you do all of those, come check out the granite ocean in Switzerland

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,113
Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410

I'm a slab climber. I still love it even though I'm often mocked for my romance by my more steeply inclined friends. First, it's laughable the South Platte is high on anyones list. It's frankly mighty bad over all with a few exceptional exceptions. I've climbed granite slabs all over the Western world and I can say with confidence the best is Grimsel Pass, Switzerland. If you enjoy big slabs of perfect rock and some that gets mighty steep I'd suggest saving some money and camping out there for a few weeks. And don't forget the rack, you'll need it.

generationfourth · · Irvine, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 10
Phil Lauffen wrote: [picture of crest jewel, north dome]

yes! I didn't do the direct but traversed into the normal CJ. Slab as far as you can see below you, and as far as you can see above you. Seems to go on forever and I remember at one point asking if I was on a treadmill slab. It's wild!

Suicide at Tahquitz has the headiest slab I've ever done– and I haven't even done any of the R rated ones. Tuolumne and yosemite has it's fair share as well.

Kirsten KDog · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 80

SPlatte.

What about Big Rock Candy Mtn?! The ultimate slab.

Matthew Fienup · · Santa Rosa Valley, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 7,537

Another shout-out for Dome Rock!

D. Durrant · · Utah, USA · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,350

The East slabs of the San rafael Swell should cure you of your slab fetish. Long routes and long run-outs on sandstone. 3 1/2 hours from SLC.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Where's the best slab climbing?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.