Mountain Project Logo

Original Post
Cunning Linguist · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,200

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Yeah, agree on the dictionary. Just got mine last month and learned alot of new terms, regionally in use.

Kevin Landolt · · Fort Collins, Wyoming · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585

Matt's Climbing Dictionary is not just "effing hilarious", but contains a wealth of important information as well : )

PTZ · · Chicago/Colorado · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 490

When I met Matt at Rifle clean up in 2001. It was the first time I ever saw someone run up a hard Route. Seriously, Run, up a route. This was on Crime and Punishment 12A. Meat wall. Great guy and asset to climbing. Cheers Matt

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
Killis Howard wrote:Aside from replacing a boatload of bolts for the ARI, putting up a bunch of routes, and writing a lot of funny articles over the years, I just wanted to publicly put it out there that the Climbing Dictionary is *effing hilarious* and deserves to be in a lot of stockings. Well done, man.
Haven't seen the dictionary yet, but this article climbing.com/exclusive/feat… has done more for my climbing than just about anything I can think of. Bumped my leading up a number grade or more. If you're already good, none of it will be news to you, but I'm no part of good, so I found it super-helpful. Thanks Matt!
Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,525

I was lucky enough to meet Matt a little over a year ago. Definitely one of the nicest guys I've met and nothing sums up his attitude better than his "lose the tude" forward in Bob D's BoCan book. Thanks for all of your hard work.

coppolillo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 70

wait, Samet's still alive? that guy owes me money! who has his digits?! i'm gonna get that sucka!

David Rivers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20

Matt is an excellent writer. His articles and columns for Climbing and R&I were funny and entertaining, but it was when I read several of his pieces published in the short lived "She Sends" magazine that I really saw his depth and talent. I hope we see more of that someday.

I found this article after seeing this thread. Brilliantly courageous and honest. Thanks Matt.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/rock-climbing/Beauty-in-the-Breakdown.html

rogerbenton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 210

nice one killis.

Mike Howard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 3,650

Bump for all the reasons mentioned above. Bob D tells me he is enjoying fatherhood now as well. All the best to you Matt Samet.

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

Not exactly a close friend of Matt's but I've known him for years. I definitely miss his old R & I articles that always had a great sense of humor.
Here's to you Mr. Samet, you've definitely gotten better w/ age.
Hope you keep going strong,
BA

Kelly Cordes · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Oct 2001 · Points: 95

Agree fully with all of the great sentiments above -- I've known Matt for many years now, and he's a thoughtful person, caring, great friend. Helped me through the roughest time of my life a few years ago, he was always there, and I will always be grateful. He's a terrific writer and one of the best editors I've worked with (he edited several articles that I wrote during his times at the climbing magazines). The "Sictionary" is classic -- definitely a great stocking stuffer ('tis the season) -- and he's working on another book, and is a new father -- go Matt!

Joe Huggins · · Grand Junction · Joined Oct 2001 · Points: 105

Yes-a hearty Huzzah for Kristen and Matt.
Buy the book,buy extras for friends and
Happy Festivus

David Rivers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20

I found an excellent article of Matt's on Outside online about anxiety and addiction. Deeply personal and courageous, it also says volumes about our sport's culture and the wider culture. There's a link to it in my previous post.

Thanks, Matt for all your writing from hilarious and profane to deadly serious and insightful.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started