Mountain Project Logo

Rumney conditions??

Original Post
Wade Hall · · San Angelo, TX · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

It looks like it has been raining all week, and we may get some more rain in the next day or 2. I have never been to Rumney but thinking about taking a trip up there this weekend. Is there any point going given the recent weekend or should I save it for another time?

Thanks

Steve Thomas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 30

There's been a whole lot of rain happening up here lately. While the majority of the stuff will be wet or seeping, there are a couple areas that might be dry. Most of Waimea and sections of Main Cliff tend to stay relatively dry.

But if you're really coming from Austin, TX, I'd recommend another, dryer weekend.

Wade Hall · · San Angelo, TX · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

I'm in New York now actually but still a bit over 5 hours in the car....

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Save your gas. I wouldn't bother, between the bugs and wetness, unless you just want to come check out the new parking lot.

David Crothers · · Burlington · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Is the parking lot finished?

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Yup. That's what Bob Bruemer posted over on NEClimbs.com. I haven't seen it myself yet since it was done.

I'm speaking of the Main Cliff Parking lot.

Carl H. · · Connecticut · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 25

While Waimea & Main Cliff may be dry, note that a lot of Main Cliff is closed due to falcon nesting, and Waimea is stiff climbing - mostly 5.11 and up

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Carl H. wrote:While Waimea & Main Cliff may be dry, note that a lot of Main Cliff is closed due to falcon nesting, and Waimea is stiff climbing - mostly 5.11 and up
Ban has been lifted on the Mani Cliff
Ian Wauchope · · Dover, NH · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 325

Can anyone confirm that main cliff is now open? It's still listed as closed till 8/31 on the access fund website. Also, the access fund listed the summit cliff and asylum as closed for nesting as well, but I was up there last week and there was no signage or anything to indicate it's closed.

Jay Knower · · Plymouth, NH; Lander, WY · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 6,056

Main Cliff is definitely open. This was posted on neclimbs.com :

Attention Climbers:

The seasonal closure for Peregrine Falcons at the Main Cliff at Rumney Rocks Climbing Area has been lifted.

Temporary closures for NH state-threatened Peregrine Falcons are implemented at certain high-use sites from time to time to promote successful nesting. In this case, NH Audubon biologists monitoring the site for NH Fish & Game have determined that the local falcon pair has abandoned their nesting attempt on the Main Cliff and are not attempting to re-nest at Main Cliff or elsewhere on the adjacent cliffs this Spring. Climbers are still encouraged to report any encounters that include vocal and aggressive behavior by the falcons.

At the present time, no additional area closures for falcons at Rumney Rocks are anticipated during the 2011 season.

Chris Martin, Senior Biologist
Conservation Department, New Hampshire Audubon
84 Silk Farm Road, Concord, NH 03301

Office phone: 603/224-9909 x317; Fax: 603/226-0902;
E-mail: cmartin@nhaudubon.org; Web: nhaudubon.org

Alissa Pinkoski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

Hi, I was wondering what the conditions at the Main Cliff were after all the rain this week. I was interested in coming up for a few days but was wondering if it was worth it. Was anyone out there today?

Thanks!

Ryu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

Hello, I would love to know the current conditions. I was hoping to be there on Memorial weekend, but the forecast is not very promising. 50% for Saturday, 40% for Sunday, 30% for Monday. I was hoping for Jimmy's cliff and Waimea.

Thank you,

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Rumney conditions??"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started