Mountain Project Logo

Sport climbing near Sacramento

Original Post
Suze Slezinger · · Tucson AZ · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 20

Heading to Sacramento for Thanksgiving, does anyone have suggestions on good sport areas nearby? Probably driving into San Franscisco a few days as well. Thanks!

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Not sure about the Sac area, you may want to head toward Tahoe. There's not a lot in SF but be sure to check out the beaver street wall for some unique toproping. Other areas I would recommend are Mt Heleana, Mt Diablos boy scout rocks" the amazing face" and castle rock state parks water fall area.

Ryan Kosh · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 145

Nothing local around Sacramento. Tahoe area - Big Chief, Luther Spires, Eagle Creek Canyon. It's probably snowing at all those areas right now though...

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Suze Slezinger wrote:Heading to Sacramento for Thanksgiving, does anyone have suggestions on good sport areas nearby? Probably driving into San Franscisco a few days as well. Thanks!
Sorry, but the only place to sport climb near sac is currently closed to climbing. If you bring a rack, cosumnes river gorge is fun for a day or two and is only like 30 minutes from sac.
Chris DeWitt · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 155
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Chris DeWitt wrote:Auburn Cliffs
That is where I was alluding to in my post, but unfortunately, climbing there is illegal, and as such should be avoided for the good of the climbing community.
Suze Slezinger · · Tucson AZ · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 20

Thanks for the input everyone!

Skinny DeVille · · Dirty South · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Big Chiefing is a solid choice. Combine with ski tour for maximum fun!

Adam Bunger · · Someplace in the Northeast · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,025

The bouldering in Vacaville is a chossy shitpile, don't waste your time. Depending on what's going on weatherwise I would point it towards Big Chief outside Truckee. Super fun routes, although there wont be much for you there unless you're comfortable leading at least 10b, the grades are a bit on the softer side as well.

Salamanizer Ski · · Off the Grid… · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 18,919
AdamB wrote:The bouldering in Vacaville is a chossy shitpile, don't waste your time. Depending on what's going on weatherwise I would point it towards Big Chief outside Truckee. Super fun routes, although there wont be much for you there unless you're comfortable leading at least 10b, the grades are a bit on the softer side as well.
"Chossy shit pile"... I beg to differ.

Granted, it aint no destination. But if you only gotta drive 30min to get there, you can spend all day climbing a couple hundred problems from VB to V9+ and get pumped out of your mind. Most of the rock is quite solid... bullet hard in fact.

You must be spoiled from all that good Sierra rock. Well, I am too seeing how those boulders are a 5min walk from my house and I never go there. But "Choss" it's not.

Rockville, now theres some choss.
Del · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Vacaville rocks! Back in the day, ditch class, ride a loop at rockville, hit some fun problems at "Vaca-cracka" and finish with a stop at the winters taco truck. swiss bouldering with cows clanging about

James Arnold · · Chattanooga · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

In certain years I've climbed @ Big Chief on New Years Day and it felt too hot--truly a solar collector up there--...you ,may have to approach from the truckee river canyon though, a pretty solid uphill hike likely with snow (take gaiters).

Rough · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 1,537

I used to get worked up about comments like AdamB's but realize when people are already that negative nothing you will say will change their mind. I can only imagine how that much negativity must effect them in every aspect of their life.

Anyways, Vacaville is a great place to boulder. Don't take a Negative Nancy's view, go there and try it out for yourself. You may just be pleasantly surprised.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

yeah rough, those vaca boulders are fun. worth checking out if it isn't super muddy.

I'll throw out Indian Springs off I-80. Will probably stay out of snowline for a little bit longer.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
AdamB wrote: although there wont be much for you there unless you're comfortable leading at least 10b, the grades are a bit on the softer side as well.
That is not really true (on either account). There are some really nice 5.9's at BC and to call Hatchett brothers routes "soft" is not particularly accurate.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Sport climbing near Sacramento"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started