Mountain Project Logo

4 wheelin?

Devin Shunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 15

Great story. I haven't had an experience like that yet.

I am currently working on a frame-up build of a '69 Bronco. Some specs:

HD Curry 9" rear w/Curry alloy 31 splines and Ford Exploder Discs, ARB.
D44 front, alloy axles, superjoints, ARB.
4.56 gears front and back.
D20 w/upgraded output shaft.
NP435.
Fuel-injected Aussie 408 motor (putting this together currently).
3.5" SL, 2" BL.
Full cage.
36X13.5 IROKS.

I love 4 wheeling. Some of the best times that I have ever had.

YDPL8S · · Santa Monica, Ca. · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 540

Reading this is the same way I feel when I'm reading a description of boulder problem or a new sport route at Rifle....

Old Trad Guy that is hip lingo challenged.

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190

I don't have any tech talk to contribute but I have had to lock um in quite a few times over the years.
It seems like every time I have there is a story worth telling.
4wd L range, in reverse, 4ever, after being boxed in, out in canyon lands.
Mid winter buried, chained on all four with a busted wench cable.
Mexico #3 from San Flippi to Gonzaga
Lost in the dark, up to the doors in mud, in the pineapple fields on the North shore of Maui while shooting the film "Bilabong Odyssey"
Cross country travel in Baja scoping out remote new surf breaks.
Just to name a few that cross my mind at the moment.
In my experience,the journey to the adventure has often proven to be the adventure.

Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,370

Here I am 3 years later, putting some time aside from climbing, caving, and canyoneering to work on the jeep...

smassey · · CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 200

If you wanna drive a litle further to the TH, there's a techy drive on the way to homestake res. south of minturn. I forget the name, but it looked pretty entertaining. I hiked up it on the way elsewhere, though about doing it (94 toy, 4", 33's, detroit), but decided not to. saw a couple of lads in better rigs than mine on the way back down, and it looked like a good exercise in concentration. Also, the San Juans have some entertainment as well. Also forget the name, but the areas round ouray and SLV have some good tight stuff. The Schofield pass road from Marble to Crested Butte is also entertaining...

Fred Cornwallace · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0
Jason Kaplan wrote: Im not sure about the Jasper, but I have hit slaughterhouse. Pretty easy though IMHO. My jeeps fromt plate is similar to what you mentioned, I think it is tied with parachute cord and a bungee strap. Never gone over mosquito but have done weston in a subaru. have you ever seen spring creek or carnage canyon? better yet blanca, indy, holy cross, 21 road, and buena vista's carnage canyon? those trails are tough. Mark if you are serious about wheeling you should consider a locker, a cheap one runs bout $300 and is well worth it, lock rites are easy to install. It prevents tires in the air from stealing all of your power and leaving you going no where, like on rutted out hills or when you lift a tire in any occasion.
Weston is amazing- a good recommendation. Locker sounds like a good idea or what about a utility trailer. Anyone taken this advice?
Cocoapuffs 1000 · · Columbus, OH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 50
joe q fed up wrote:gasoline athletes! 8$ per gallon will cure all this crap! talk about needing to show some respect for fragile environments. JEEE-ZUS!
Sorry, I don't post here much but I had to say something because this kind of attitude really, really pisses me off. How often do you have to defend climbing to someone who doesn't understand it? You know why we have so many access issues? Because of people who don't care about climbing and think it's silly (which is okay) and conclude, consciously or subconsciously, that because they don't understand it, it must not be worth doing (which is not okay).

There are plenty of activities that I think are stupid, but I respect that there are other people that enjoy them. Think about that the next time your favorite crag gets shut down because some hikers complained.

P.S. Maybe you forgot that most climbers drive their carbon-spewing cars across the county to climb... if you really respected the environment, you would forget climbing and stay home.
joe q fed up wrote:gasoline athletes! 8$ per gallon will cure all this crap! talk about needing to show some respect for fragile environments. JEEE-ZUS!
Well I guess that most of us agree with you Dude. BUT, It's pretty Cool when Your Rig Is up to the Task!
no1nprtclr · · Front range Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 55

More than likely a LOT of people have skills and cajones to school all you guys!!! But, seriously, this is a climbing forum. Your squeals and wheels don't really apply here do they????? No.... not really!!!!!! Go find the forum you "guys" belong to. I know it's under the 'other sport' section: but is 4x4'ing a "sport"? Push a gas pedal woo hoo what sport that is, woo hoo.... Like climbing falls, without balls..... Go gasless
Man!!!!! Anyone can push a gas pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juan

Way to discriminate! Yea, 4 wheeling is a sport do you live under a rock? Your crying about a thread that is 2 pages in length and has been here for 4 years! Does your whiney post and the slew of other derogatory posts belong here??? NO! We all no climbers have no environmental impact whatsoever...

Looks like fun Olaf!

I think the island in the sky is gonna wait till my rig is done, sure as hell don't want to beat my daily driver up that much... Wheeling and climbing sometimes go hand in hand. Blanca peak, and the crestones come to mind. Canyonlands... Arch and Texas canyon, same way. The big rock candy mountain is not something you can drive a subaru to either.

Smassey, that techy road is probly the Holy Cross ghost town jeep trail. It's on the list for sure, we hiked up there when we were kids and it looks like a rough one.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Olaf Mitchell wrote: Well I guess that most of us agree with you Dude. BUT, It's pretty Cool when Your Rig Is up to the Task!
Agree I'm 'green' for life, with 44mpg cars last 37 years so I'm a clean climber. 4WD isn't my thing either, but the ride does look impressive for what it's worth.
Woodchuck ATC wrote: Agree I'm 'green' for life, with 44mpg cars last 37 years so I'm a clean climber. 4WD isn't my thing either, but the ride does look impressive for what it's worth.
It's about smiles per gallon my friend. That makes it fun! How was your comute this morning?
Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Did he say anyone can push a gas pedal? Wheeling is so much more. I've seen those guys that can only push pedal and it can get ugly. Wheeling requires a skilled driver a good spoter and a capable rig an thing les and its not fun. Just like moving up a crack you need finese and skill. The rubicon is a ten of ten and took a day longer then we planed but what an epic adventure. Four days to go 22 miles if u f up there's no tow truck coming to get you, your totally committed.
87 Cherokee 4.5 inch lift running 33s on stock danas I tread very lightly so f u hippies. Btw 10 mpg in he city less than 5 on the trail.

Bob Dergay · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 101

Driving over rocks slower than you could walk past them.... yes, such an amazing skill-set. yawn....

If you're four-wheeling to get somewhere cool, awesome. But to thrash the back-country with your monster-muddied tonka toy just to see if you can thrash it... smacks of compensating...

If you want to impress people, run all the passes in a beater VW. Raise the bar, not just the suspension on another silly-ass rock-crawler p.o.s..

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Yea because climbing rock by foot is a skill needed for every day life. Oh no it isn't it's just fun. Yes my rig is a pos that's why I don't mind thrashing it. First trail I did was a 7/10 on 27 inch street tires 12 miles in three days now that's raising the bar. Had to build a rock bridge every 50 feet. So what did I do. kind of like a climber trains for the next climb I took it to the shop and put my blood sweat and tears in to that thing to make stronger and more capable. Just like climbers we have access issues so we don't go shittin where we sleep. Every group has it's bad seeds but the majority of us love the outdoors as much as you do. As for going sweet places do a quick search of the rubicon it's about as amazing as it gets. World famous and dates back to the native Americans. Ok I admit I went to a ohv park once biggest waste of my trucks balls. Driving in a circle over man made obstacles is lame.

Cocoapuffs 1000 · · Columbus, OH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 50
Bob Dergay wrote:Driving over rocks slower than you could walk past them.... yes, such an amazing skill-set. yawn.... If you're four-wheeling to get somewhere cool, awesome. But to thrash the back-country with your monster-muddied tonka toy just to see if you can thrash it... smacks of compensating... If you want to impress people, run all the passes in a beater VW. Raise the bar, not just the suspension on another silly-ass rock-crawler p.o.s..
Really? Have you ever tried it? And please explain to me how knowing how to climb is a better skill set.

I have a better idea - YOU raise the bar and throw away all your climbing shoes. You'll impress more people if you do it barefoot.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "4 wheelin?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started