Mountain Project Logo

4 wheelin?


Devin C. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10
Alias wrote:... Are you assholes really trying to convince anyone that the "sport"? of 4x4ing is environmentally non destructive? Seriously? ...
Ha, are you serious??? I don't think anyone here is claiming it is absolutely non-destructive. There is a way to lessen the impact just like in all outdoor activities. stay on the trail, pack it in pack it out, all that good stuff.

Do you think climbing is an eco-friendly activity? I'd like to hear your argument for that if you do.

Climbing is a great activity but it has its eco-downfalls as well.
Umph! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 180
Alias wrote:I guess that is why most ORV enthusiasts seem to have a beer permanently welded in one hand and a belly flopping over their belt! Thanks for the laugh!
Of course it has the potential of being much more destructive (4 wheelin').
However, "most ORV enthusiasts" stay the trail and ride only on existing roads and trails - most of which were put in by miners and surveyors and such years and years ago.
I do appreciate a good laugh, and your description of an ORV enthusiast served well. Unfortunately, your bias and retarded profiling shows how painfully ignorant you actually are.

Dirt biking, for example, is a full-body workout that'll whip yer ass unless you're just put-pttin down the trail for a little bit.
I can guarantee you that you wouldn't have a chance in hell keeping up with the technical and physical skill required to ride a dirt bike with even a moderate rider. . . and certainly not for any distance.
An expert rider would leave you speechless - and hours later, if you were able to make it to the end point (you wouldn't btw), you'd be worthless the next day as your body will be seriously flogged.
The pros ride at a ridiculous pace, and their technical skill and physical prowess are both incredible.

Scott Summers (mid-90's) dead-lifting/curling an awkward ~300lbs. Yeah, he's waaaay outa shape.
Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,385

I don't understand why a thread about wheeling attracts the morons who don't understand guideline #1. Seriously, FUCK OFF, if you don't wheel and don't have anything nice or better yet positive to contribute, keep it to your fucking self!

If your really concerned step out of your armchair, stop QBing from the sideline, DO something about it, and STOP DRIVING!

Umph! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 180
In response to Alias' pathetic, half-assed retort, which he has since deleted out of pure cowardice:

Well lets go for a ride ("Alias"), and we'll see who's full of shit.
I can assure you that I can climb all day long. . . and can assure you that you cannot even come close to riding with me all day long. . .hell, you couldn't even come close to riding the trails I ride, period.
Prove me wrong hot shot.

If you're riding/driving on existing trails/roads then your "environmental impact" isn't going to be any greater than riding on an existing road, paved or gravel. If you think otherwise you're a fool who's attempting to insert feel-goodism bullshit into actuality.
Besides, what about those who haven't the same physical abilities as you? Maybe the only way some people can gain access into our more natural lands is via a motorized vehicle. Ever think of that? Are you against the fundamentals of the ADA? Why do you hate disabled people?
No matter how you look at it, your argument is worthless and thoughtless.
If you were arguing noise pollution, then you'd have a point - but you aren't sound enough to bridge that argument on your own. However, yelling from belayer to climber isn't exactly peaceful music to other non-climbing users. In fact, it's often vulgar and obnoxious.
You seem to be a typical brain-dead follower of Al Gore who would rather embrace good "feelings", before good thought.

Good luck with that.
Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190

I get it? So, If? I NEVER LOSE TRACTION, YOU will acknowledge ME?

Sam Stephens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,020

I used to do a lot of rock crawlin for several years. I got huge into it and dumped tons of money into my rig. I had to sell it recently but want to get another one going as soon as I get settled somewhere.

Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,385

Nice man, looks like a pretty decent rig!

Devin Shunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 15
Alias wrote: Thread about "wheeling" on MP = Moronic
Really? Why do you think that? Climbing takes us outdoors and lets us get away from stuff. So does wheeling. Yeah, it might not be as physically demanding, and it may even be a stretch to call it a "sport" to some people. But then again, calling climbing a "sport" can be viewed as a stretch unless you are competing against other climbers. But who cares, wheeling gets us outside and it is an adventure. Plus, there are a lot of times that I "wheel" to get to the places I want to climb.

And to those that think it is just a matter of "pushing the pedal" - you should come out on a wheeling trip sometime and see how just "pushing the pedal" works out for you. Then hope that someone who is competent at wheeling is nice enough to pull you out or flip your vehicle back to its right side.

For the wheeling lovers, here are a couple of links to my build thread if you are interested:

Part 1 - From the beginning

Part 2 - nearing the end
Devin Shunk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 15
Sam Stephens wrote:I used to do a lot of rock crawlin for several years. I got huge into it and dumped tons of money into my rig. I had to sell it recently but want to get another one going as soon as I get settled somewhere.
Nice looking rig.
Glenn Cilley · · Laconia, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 535

My 1953 Dodge M37

wheeling in NH
Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,385

M37's and (it's jeep counterpart) M715's are the shit!

Nikolai Daiss-Fechner · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 5

That M37 is sick! I want a cool light on my car too!!!

BrianH Pedaler · · Santa Fe NM · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 50
Allen Hill wrote:To bring more beer in George.
Fail!

I drove up the South Colony Lake Road, (when it was open) and the beer was so shaken up that it had all fizzed out of the bottle. It made me cry.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply