Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in Yellowsone National Park and Surrounding Vicinity?

Original Post
Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190

I'll be working in Yellowstone National park this summer and although I don't know of this as a climbing Park,I wondered if anyone knows of climbing area's or even small crags within the park. Also, some of the nearby notable area's? Of course, I do know a little of the great potential in the Grand Tetons. Appreciate your input!

Regards,
Norman

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Lander has a bunch of stuff and isn't terriby far. But truthfully you can probably get your fill in the park eh?

Check out Wild Iris for books on the area and maybe give them a call....

wildirisclimbing.com/

Mike Anderson · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 3,541

What type of climbing? There's not much "developed" rock climbing, and the rock in the park isn't very good from what I could tell...lots of broken up basalt. Peak-bagging is a different story. This is the best guide, but it's expensive:

Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone

For technical rock climbing, all your best options will be outside the park: The Tetons, obiously, and the Beartooths. Jackson has many climbing areas of different varieties, so I suspect that's where you'll spend most of your time...probably depends on exactly where in the park you'll be working/living...it can take many hours to drive through.

Ted Lanzano · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 255

I managed to find a cool bouldering area close to the park headquarters on the northern end (by Montana). It had some very fun limestone and this one boulder problem (probably in the v7-8 range) was totally classic. Went right over this little pulloff road, and you have some make sure cars with families and tourists don't drive under you. The problem was pretty high. I think the area was called the hoodoos. That was all I could find up there. There is some sport climbing down in Jackson too.

Mark Berreth · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Mar 2003 · Points: 40

Nothing much for climbing in Yellowstone. No rock climbing that I know of is actually in the park but I haven't really seeked anything out there, so maybe I'm wrong. Even if there is I imagine it wouldn't be great. If you're going to be living in the southern area of Yellowstone you will spend most of your time around Jackson I'd bet. If you're up north it'd probably be easiest to head up to Bozeman and climb around there. Even if you're close to Cody there'd be a fair amount of climbing right in Cody.
Spent a summer in Jackson and could lead you in some good directions around there if you want. Otherwise I live up in Bozeman and know of a lot of climbing around here.
Good luck!

dan zika · · jax wy · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

lotsa world class climbing 3hrs away city of rocks, tensleep canyon,
lander, wind river range, massacere rocks, gallatin canyon, gtnp,
beartooth,some bouldering near mammoth, maybe a little farther south
towards norris

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190

Thank you everyone! I will be printing this info out and taking it along with me to Yellowstone.

Andrew Carson · · Wilson, WY · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,520

The canyon of the Lewis River has good but very compact basalt. It is hard to protect, since many of cracks were very pinched off, but much of it can be top-roped. We only did routes on the road side of the canyon, as the other side looked muddy and of dubious quality. Some of the corners we did were classic, if short.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Climbing in Yellowsone National Park and Surrou…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.