Mountain Project Logo

How Many Pitches Did You Climb Last Year?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083

580 pitches, including onsighting or redpointing 168 new pitches 11a or harder. i'm not up to my all time hardest yet, but last year i had a lot of volume and climbed at a lot of cool areas. getting a pretty good start on this year too....

Brian Rhode · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

Somewhere more than 265 but less than 300, almost all sport- quantity was not so high correlated to difficulty being up.

Alec L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 676

I tend to count days getting out rather than pitches climbed. If I can get organized well enough to get out (partners, location, weather, etc.) then chances are I'll be doing a lot of climbing during that outing. I count bouldering days (outside, of course) too, but not the gym.

The comment about it never being enough is very true, though I figure at some point it would conflict with life balance (work/gf/non climber friends/etc), which wouldn't be cool with me.

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643
WiledHorse wrote: to remember what?

Dunno....

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
Hank Caylor wrote: Dunno....

uhm. mean eether. wanna do a shot with me?

Tom Hanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 950

Oh for crying out loud.
I thought I was anal for keeping track of how many days I climbed per year back in the '80's. 340 in 1984, my record.
I've got FA's that I've forgotten,and not for lack of quality.
Actually, I kind of envy those who have kept records, since I know that I've forgotten several routes I've done over the years.
I hazily recall a new route adjacent to The Northeast Snowfields on Mt Owen that I did back in the seventies with some guy (Dave?) that I met at the Jenny Lake ranger station. He had bicycled out from the east coast.

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

I feel so inadequate reading this thread. I only have myself to blame. The rest of you, keep it going! My hat's off to you all.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,516
Greg Barnes wrote:But I don't remember doing even a single sport pitch - gotta fix that or I'll get even weaker than normal.

Ho, man. Aint that the truth. It sure is good mixing it up.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,671

2009 was a slow climbing year for me. I counted 176 pitches climbed in 35 days of climbing for the year. I'm pretty satisfied with the count, but it's a lot less than each of the previous five years. Too many other interests taking hold. We did a lot of skiing, canyoneering, desert-rat exploring and ocean fishing, too.

2010 is shaping up to have even less climbing. I kicked the year off with a shoulder injury and I've yet to climb a single day.

Mic Fairchild · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 360

It's hard to count "pitches" as I'm occasionally climbing without a rope. I've taken to counting vertical feet with the help of an altimeter watch. 63,000' fifth class rock in 2009.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,083

in eldo that would actually be about 3000 pitches, as they are generally about 20' feet long.

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
slim wrote:in eldo that would actually be about 3000 pitches, as they are generally about 20' feet long.

youre cracking me up today slim!

kachoong · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 180

This thread is depressing!

You lot must either live near climbing you can access after work or don't have jobs...

I got out on four days... 22 pitches. Zero times to the gym... coz there is no gym.

Hooray for living in the outback!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How Many Pitches Did You Climb Last Year?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.