Mountain Project Logo

Art Higbee

Original Post
kuus kuus · · Steamboat Springs · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 535

Climbing Legend Art Higbee passed away last weekend in Hawaii, where he was working temporarily. Higbee suffered a heart attack. He was 55 years old.

Art was most widely known for his FFA of the most popular route up Half Dome, the Northwest Face. Art was an extremely humble man, and he will be sorely missed in the Steamboat Springs community as well as the greater climbing community.

phil broscovak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 1,631

Rest in Peace to a great climber.

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

Sad news. I've always wondered if he was some distant relative. There aren't that many Higbees running around...

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190

Art Higbee was a friend and an inspiration! He once told me that I was going to be a great climber! I spent my life trying to live up to his prophesy.
Shawn Mitchell · · Broomfield · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 250

As a learning teen climber in Southern California in the late 70's, I took great inspiration from Jim Erickson's and Art Higbee's accomplishment on Half Dome. Condolences to family and friends.

JoelReichenberger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

Hey guys, sorry to read about the loss in your community.

My name is Joel Reichenberger. I'm a sports reporter in Steamboat Springs and I'm trying to piece together a story about Art. If there's anyone here that knew him, I'd love to talk to you about the guy and all he was able to accomplish.

You can reach me at my office at 970-871-4253, or on my cell phone at 316-204-4094. Or, feel free to shoot me an e-mail at jreichenberger@steamboatpilot.com.

Thank you very much for your help.

Joel Reichenberger

Dave Bohn aka "Old Fart" · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 285

RIP Art......another of the great ones from The Golden Age.

Seth Murphy · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2003 · Points: 195

Rest in peace to another pioneer.

Dustin B · · Steamboat · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,275

For those interested there will be a memorial here in Steamboat, January 30th from 4-7pm at the community center.

I discovered climbing too late to ever get to share a rope with Mr. Higbee. He frequently hung out in a gear shop where I worked and would share climbing, skiing and other good stories, talk about the state of the world these days and circle spots on my maps..."now there's some real rock climbing up there." He was also a hockey enthusiast, and his son Tim is an accomplished goaltender. The Eldorado Canyon guidebook is littered with Art's name on many classic routes: Metamorphosis, Art's Spar, Neurosis, and he climbed with a focus on real ethics. I always think of the picture in the book Climb! where he is leading out the massive roof of 'the wisdom (12a). He's inspired me to try and become a better climber and I'll be happy to ever be half as good as him.

Rest in Peace Art.

Shawn Mitchell · · Broomfield · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 250

From the Steamboat newspaper:
steamboatpilot.com/news/201…

Mike Schnatz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

… I lived with Art for years in the 70’s. Thanks for the post about his passing. - I’m just now beginning to learn about building some websites, and thought I might build one around my memories of him. Got a little carried away, , but thought you might find it interesting. Still fixing some typos, etc. , but you can find it at : rememberingarthigbee.weebly…

Blair Higbee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

The blood line continues..Scarlett Elise Higbee. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Another goes over the great water fall.

I offer my sincere condolences to Art’s Family and Many Friends.

RIP

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 155

A great, unsung climber in an era of great climbers. RIP, Art Higbee, and condolences to his family. But surely he was older than 56? Would have made him 14 when he freed Half Dome ...

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635
J Achey wrote: A great, unsung climber in an era of great climbers. RIP, Art Higbee, and condolences to his family. But surely he was older than 56? Would have made him 14 when he freed Half Dome ...

The original post is from 2010.  That would have put Art at 21 when he nearly freed all the pitches of the RNWF in 1976.

Tim Schafstall · · Newark, DE · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,358
J Achey wrote: A great, unsung climber in an era of great climbers. RIP, Art Higbee, and condolences to his family. But surely he was older than 56? Would have made him 14 when he freed Half Dome ...

The original post is from 2010, so he would be almost 64 if still alive.  

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 155

Thanks - missed that this was an old post. I had not known. RIP.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Art Higbee"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started