Mountain Project Logo

moderate trail runs on mount lemmon

Original Post
Jon Ruland · · Tucson, AZ · Joined May 2007 · Points: 646

i'm looking for some 3-5 mile trail runs at 4k-7k altitude because i enjoy inflicting pain upon my frail body. i did one on the bug spring trail but i'm not ready for quite so much pain yet so something flatter would be nice. does anyone know of some nice such trail runs?

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

There's some nice stuff down here on Ft. Huachuca if you're up to making the haul down here. Brown and Blacktail canyon are both real nice for running and go up around the altitudes you're talking about.

Christian RodaoBack · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486

The Phoneline trail in Sabino Canyon is probably only around 3000 to 3500 feet(?), but seems popular with trail runners. Call the Sabino Canyon Visitor Center to see if it's open though, the road itself is closed above milepost 1 so that may also affect the Phoneline.

Plus with your climbing skillz Jon, you can probably take a quick detour to the Acropolis and solo the Black and Red dihedrals in your tennis shoes.

meh, i'd prefer oxygen deprivation if i can get it.

also i don't know about soloing in my tennis shoes. it's not the death i'm worried about, it's that Approach Shoes Christian is your name. Approach Shoes Jon just doesn't have the same ring to it.

tbrain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 95

Jon- The trail that leads to Wilderness of Rocks: 9000ft. Did it a couple weeks ago by headlamp with a 40lb pack and my crash pad on my back. Loved it! There was still snow on the ground in spots, but I'm sure that's gone by now. -Tiffany

i like hurting myself, but not quite that much.

Charlie King · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 5

The Douglas Spring Trail at the east end of Speedway is one of my favorites. From the TH to Bridalvail(?) Falls (usually dry or just dripping)is 6km round trip and from the TH to Douglas Spring Campground is about 13mi roundtrip.

Timothy Roehr · · Tucson,Az · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 260

I will second the Douglas Spring Trail. It finishes at 4700 feet at Douglas Spring. It is uphill most of the way in, then you get the 6 mile downhill on the way back. If you want a shorter loop run of 6.5 miles, you can take Douglas Spring Trail to the Two Tanks Trail and come back on Bajada Vista for a nice loop.

thanks for the info guys. i did try the prison camp-molino trail yesterday and i made the mistake of going downhill first. for a stronger runner this wouldn't have been a problem but as it turned out i couldn't even do the 3.5-mile round trip without a few stops. long story short, i could stand to be in better cardiovascular shape.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "moderate trail runs on mount lemmon"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.