Mountain Project Logo

Hitchcock Pinnacle

Original Post
Paul Davidson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 607

Seeing Grossman's recent posting about his Fools Day 50th Bday
over on ST got me thinking.... (Yeah I should be out climbing on a Saturday, but at least this beats working if I have to be at work, which I do.)

It somewhere around May 31st 1975.

I shortly graduate from good ole Tucson High School (or did I already?) Grossman's got another year in Purgatory.

Steve and I have been debating rock climbing vs. backpacking since Geometry, '72. In fact, we just finished a year as debate partners.

I finally agree to be dragged out onto the rock.

Where else does Steve take me but Hitchcock Rock (aka Hitchcock Pinnacle, as if a 30 ft high rock can be a pinnacle, or is it actually 50 ft high.)

I don't remember a whole lot about the ascent, but I'm sure it was a first.
What shoes was I wearing ? Probably hiking boots.

Did Steve lead or third class ?
He was effectively soloing since I knew shitall about belaying.
(Most of my partners will claim I never learned. That's a lie. I now know shitnot.)

Who else was there, I seem to recall some female presence (hubba hubba.)

I don't recall if I fell off or flashed.
Since I do recall some cruxy business, I gotta think I took a couple of huge TR falls. You know, the newby 6" heart stopping kind.

What I do recall is what felt like some hard ass moves and an awesome display of technique to pull them off. (Can't say I liked the rappel, can say I still don't like rappelling.)

I was freaking hooked.

I found a store in Tucson selling rubber sheets, cut out soles, glued them onto my old wrastling shoes and look out Overlook, here I come.
A few months later I somehow scraped up enough cash to buy a nail losing pair of EBs via mail order. Steve had suggested I buy em as tight as possible. Keerist they hurt and I've never forgiven him for that piece of advice.

What has followed were 33 some odd (oh yeah sometimes really odd) years of hanging out on the rocks with a few pitches here and there.

Hitchcock has a special spot in my mind, and I'm sure to a lot of other Tucson lads (I admit though, I'm really a Flag climber. Never really got very good at that odd ball Tucson rock...)

Since then, I too have drug a number of other newbies up that shit piece of rock. Can't say I hooked any of them (on climbing anyway, I did convince a certain lady to marry me.)

So, here's one to Steve on his 50th.

Thanks lad (for making the rest of life seem so mundane by comparison.)

What's your Hitchcock story ? (The Birds ? North by Northwest ?)

Peter Noebels · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 61

Hey Paul,
I spent last weekend with Steve and Mimi celebrating his 50th. He hasn't aged a bit.
My Hitchcock story with Steve is brief. In the early 80's he soloed the standard route at sunset and I photographed. He then down climbed and jumped the final few feet to the adjoining pinnacle when I got the winning photo.
Cheers,
Peter

Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 35

When I first led the Hitchcock pinnacle, I went up with my wife after work. It was during the summer - monsoon season. I led the climb and it wasn't particularly noteworthy; I don't remember much about it.

My wife followed. She had never climbed it before and she was very nervous. She started climbing. Every move required a great deal of thought and deliberation... she was scared and the sewing-machine leg was going. Slowly but surely she went up. As she climbed, the crowd gathered in the parking lot to watch the drama. By time she made it to the top, there were about 25 people gathered, watching her. When she made it to the anchors, there was a lot of applause.

It was somewhat ironic that no one clapped for me when I led it...

I had her clip into the anchors at the top with a couple of 4-footers, and I took about 40 photos of her just standing up there.

Happy Birthday, Steve!

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

Steve was the first person I ever climbed with in Tucson. It was 1981 or '82. I believe it was one of the first climbs we did together and he had me lead the 5.10 on the east face. It was memorable in that I was pretty gripped on lead. Don't think I have lead it since. Happy Birthday Steve. Glad to hear you and MiMi are still together.

Paul Davidson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 607

Eric, rumor has it that Steve & Mimi are getting married next spring ('09) in the Valley. Actually, considering my source, it's probably more than a rumor.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Hitchcock Pinnacle"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started