Mountain Project Logo

Looking for a place to camp Mt Lemmon

Original Post
Brent.Sinn · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

I am taking a trip to the Mount Lemmon area over fall break and was wondering if any one knew of any good places to camp out, drink beer, etc.
There is a group of three of us and we are looking to close out the climbing season by heading down south and getting away from Colorado for a little break.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brent

Joseph Stover · · Batesville, AR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 690

Mt Bigelow(~MP 22?) is pretty cool. Drive in undeveloped sites. I think you are supposed to get a fire permit
(free) for anywhere on the Mt. I do't know how strict they are about that, and the fire danger is low right now, I think. You can get a permit at the Palisades ranger station or the sabino canyon station. In the palisades(~MP 19?) area there are some more developed sites to I think, also gordon hirabayashi(prison camp, MP 7) has some camping. I would suggest Mt Bigelow area, Bear Wallow for some nice free secluded sites. There is also Molino Basin(MP 5) which has some popular camping.

Thanks for the info. I'm totally into free camping. A simple follow up question, what does MP mean? I would assume it is mile marker, but I'm not sure.

Maurice Liddy · · Lexington, KY · Joined May 2007 · Points: 65

MP is mile point I think. But yes, it does refer to mile marking.

JmH · · Arizona · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 5

I noticed no one mentioned Hitchcok campground which is at mp 12ish and just abit down the hill from Windy point area. It is not free and kind of touristy but has a couple of nice sites... and a nosy skunk.

Sounds like I got a few places to check out for staying. Anyone know anything to do during the night. How is the night life in Tucson? Any place to get a good brew.

tom wetherell · · Tucson, Az · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

I'd recommend the Guerrilla camping for Munchkinland above the Rose Canyon Lake Campground: tinyurl.com/2yoxob

Nice flat area right where it says "North Willow Loop" on the Google Map. A non-4wd but med clearance vehicle will get you there. Purchase a pass if you feel you must, but this is off highway with no amenities, and I have never seen it patrolled.... This also puts you in the middle of the mountain with easy access to Windy Pt, Middle Earth, Troll Wall, etc....

Stock up on your favorite adult beverage at Plaza Liquors, about 4 blocks N. of Grant Rd. on Campbell....

-t-

Joseph Stover · · Batesville, AR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 690

I did mean MP=mile post. They are marked every mile starting from the base of the mountain.

I would think that you could guerilla camp just about anywhere. I have been told to not set up camp or make fires within 200 ft of any stream or trail. I think that is a forest service rule or something.

Along most of the longer approach trails, you will usually find a fire ring or two.

Jeff Erwin · · Gunnison, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Been staying in Cochise and the weather turned on us. My buddy flies out of Tucson the 31st so we are looking for a new place to stay. Thinking Mt. Lemmon might be a better bet to get some climbing in since it’s wet and cold in Cochise.

Does anyone have any updated info on where to camp low on Mount Lemmon? Are the above mentioned areas now fee areas or are they still free? 

Thanks,
Jeff

Trad Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Jeff Erwin wrote: Been staying in Cochise and the weather turned on us. 

How bad is it? I was about to drive over there (usually west side)

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

Molino Basin. Ruins is close and Sunspots are right there. been a lot of rain and snow and it is cold.

Trad Man wrote:

How bad is it? I was about to drive over there (usually west side)

Not sure what Cochise looks like now but I would imagine with a few days of sun sheeps head and the domes with full sun would be climbable but that’s about it. Climbed a south face in the Organ mountains yesterday which got more snow then Cochise and had a great day. 

If you end up in Lemmon the Lost Wall has a real nice 5.11 trad rout called unhinged that is worth the hike. 
1Eric Rhicard wrote: Molino Basin. Ruins is close and Sunspots are right there. been a lot of rain and snow and it is cold.
Hi Eric - nice meeting you and thanks for getting me on a couple routs at Sunspots the other day.
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Anybody know if Molina Basin CG is open during the shutdown?

Peter Underwood · · Tucson · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 191

I havent noticed any closures on lemmon.  Was at Gordon H. A few days ago & people were camping there (quite a few).

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

Molino and Gordon H. are open still. Suggest packing out your trash as I don't think there are FS employees working only volunteers.

Thanks for the info. Planning to stay in NM at least a few more days, but can’t help but notice the very pleasant temps in Tucson!

Thanks again for the advice.
Molino campground is very nice.
A little road noise from the highway, but minimal.
No cell signal though- have to drive to Molino Overlook.
Really enjoyed La Milagrosa canyon.
Any suggestions for getting showers?
Or workout gyms?
Headed back to Colorado now but already planning to return to AZ!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Looking for a place to camp Mt Lemmon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started