Mountain Project Logo

GPS/Navigation - beta on best device is needed

psykokid · · Pasadena, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Another vote for the e-trex 20.

I like to record tracks and geek out on data points. Some times using my Android phone with Backcountry Navigator tracks would be wonky with random points here and there throwing things off. I picked up an e-trex 20 used a couple of years ago and the quality of the track recording compared to what I was getting with my phone are much better. I've got mine loaded with the 24K Western US Garmin maps. The 100K topos that come pre-loaded on a lot of devices are good for overview stuff, but for really using one to navigate the higher quality maps are a must

nkarasev · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Cor - with knobs-based device I can still do using mittens, or at least I do not need touch-screen capable gloves that must be very thin and not insulated enough.

Kyle - I didn't say I don't like any options presented, I am sorry you feel this way. On the opposite - the answers are great and I now have much more (theoretical) knowledge about current options. I actually do like what is being said here and will definitely chose viable option from presented choices. I was not complaining about the cost, it is when comparing the etrex with 64st the total cost of owning including having to purchase maps seem to be about the same. I just pointed that 64 would be a better option in that case. But I do see that people have suggestions to where to get free maps, so etrex sounds like an interesting option now. And of course - if I can save a buck or two - I will anyway :) I am not THAT rich, I just say I would afford few hundred bucks device when it comes to safety of my life and life of fellow partners

Martin - we have Phenix 3 multisport. It will not show map, but I didn't know it can show tracks. Need to look into manual. Great answer!

Long Ranger - that great answer too - makes me think toward etrex more.

Thanks to everyone again - I have a better feeling now. Seems that knowing stuff and experience (which I did not have) is the key.

Nikolay

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,506

Just saw a Garmin 64stc in the classifieds

That was 62 stc, no 64
Looks pretty beat up.

ah, not much difference between the 62 and 64, though the price is a bit high.
Mine is 10x more scratched up than that with no issues (it's on my mountain bike handlebars when I ride).

Paying more than 50% for the years old electronics is not on my list, however reliable the device may be.
Electronics are depreciating way too fast.

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

I've got a Garmin Oregon that I've been happy with. The 1/20,000 map cards are a necessity imo. I've been using AA lithium batteries and been pretty happy with the way they work. What do you others use for batteries though. Alkaline or lithium.?

Kyle,
no, I do not know if 100K is sufficient. This is one of the reasons I am here with my question.
I appreciate any beta.
Does free map source come with 24K scale? For Rainier? For Denali?

Thanks,
Nikolay

Norm Larson wrote:I've got a Garmin Oregon that I've been happy with. The 1/20,000 map cards are a necessity imo. I've been using AA lithium batteries and been pretty happy with the way they work. What do you others use for batteries though. Alkaline or lithium.?
For winter the Lithium batteries are a must due to keeping their potential at colder temps, but... the drop-off curve of the lithium batteries is so sharp most device show the battery life as full before crapping out 20 minutes later, so stick in new batteries at the beginning of the day and bring spares.

I wouldn't bother using 1:100,000 topo maps, stick to 24k for any navigation.

btw I also run citynavigator maps on my 62s, though the screen is a tad small.

I feel like I have to ask this question now:
for those who know or who have giaia, please answer:

When you looking at giaia map on device, there is little scale indicator left bottom. When it shows about 2000 ft and the bar is about half inch long - will this represent about 50K map?
It looks rather small, I agree. Then 100K would really be a waste.
So if I zoom to show 1000 ft in that half-inch long bar, that will be about 24K scale, right? It is still barely useful.

On the same giaia screen I am able to zoom the Rainier so the smallest amount of feet in one bar is 20 ft, the bar length is just about 1/3 inch. Is this about actual scale of about 100?

I thinks I would like to have a map that would show 50 ft in that bar, which is likely about 300 actual scale, but not sure if this exists on GPS.
Or am I totally off with my calculations?

I have not been climbing a lot but at few climbs that I had I got into those exact situations where gps was a savior. GPS wasn't mine, hence this thread.
And yea, you would not go up in bad conditions, but it is also not too easy to predict when a perfect sunny day (or night for that matter as all climbs start at night) will turn into miserable conditions in just few hours.
If I had crystal ball, I would not need GPS.

Nik

Jeremy B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
nkarasev wrote:When it shows about 2000 ft and the bar is about half inch long - will this represent about 50K map?
1:50K means 1 inch on the map is about 4/5ths of a mile, or a bit over 4100 feet.

nkarasev wrote:So if I zoom to show 1000 ft in that half-inch long bar, that will be about 24K scale, right?
1:24K means 1 inch on the map is 2000 feet, yes.

nkarasev wrote:On the same giaia screen I am able to zoom the Rainier so the smallest amount of feet in one bar is 20 ft, the bar length is just about 1/3 inch. Is this about actual scale of about 100?
If 1 inch on the map is 60 feet (i.e. 720 inches), your scale is 1:720. Whether you are using Gaia or something else is irrelevant.
Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 619
Luc-514 wrote: For winter the Lithium batteries are a must due to keeping their potential at colder temps, but... the drop-off curve of the lithium batteries is so sharp most device show the battery life as full before crapping out 20 minutes later,
You're 100% correct about using lithiums and the drop off curve. At least with the garmin devices I've used, they do have an option to set the type of batteries you're using in the preferences, which I don't think does anything really, except try to calculate the % of battery you have left, by using a different model for the drop off curve. I use rechargable Nimh in my device, usually, which make running the device semi daily a lot cheaper.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "GPS/Navigation - beta on best device is needed"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.