Mountain Project Logo

installing some fix ropes at High Wire

Brady3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15

I highly doubt that the fixed hardware committee would approve for a fixed rope to be installed and I believe their stance is that any hardware placed without prior approval will be removed.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Emil: The Mabe guidebook does not advise going that route. There is another easy way straight up.

reboot wrote:It's no skin off my back, but seriously, what's it to you if there's a fixed rope on the approach? It's going to ruin your wilderness experience? Nobody is asking you to do anything; the OP said he'd do it himself. As far as the approach, if you aren't hobbling, it's pretty easy in good weather, a little less so after some rain/snow/ice. But then again, just because you are having trouble walking doesn't mean you can't lap all the routes there w/ ease.
It is no sweat off my back. Just not really needed. Plus to do it you will need to get approval from Jeffco.
Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

If you can't figure out how to get up there without a rope, then you don't belong there. Go find a different sport...

Rusty Shackleford · · Boulder County aka The Cent… · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I don't like to chime in on these circle jerks, but i came here as a wide eyed young budding outdoor climber a few years ago and was taken aback a bit by the approach. However, when i saw a woman carrying a baby in a pack with both hands full while heading down i knew i had to put my big boy pants on. I revisited a few months back and had a laugh reflecting back on it. Doesn't every guidebook, every piece of equipment tell us this sport is dangerous? That we assume all risks? If the approach alone is to scary go back to the gym.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
JulianG wrote: The New Wall that has a fix rope across a slab because 5.14 sport climbers don't know how to deal with a little slab. There is also a fixed rope on in a gully straight up from the approach to The Highlander. It is not even close to the approach trail. Anybody knows why it is there?
Julian,

Just cause this isn't clear to me, do you mean the fixed line for the Wall of Justice (same approach from road, but past Highwire -- overhung routes belayed from a slab with potentially bad belayer falls)?
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Parker Wrozek wrote: Just not really needed.
Neither you nor I speak for everyone.
Stagg54 wrote:If you can't figure out how to get up there without a rope, then you don't belong there. Go find a different sport...
If you've been climbing for a few years, you don't belong there either & should consider finding a different sport.
Anthony O'Neill wrote:i came here as a wide eyed young budding outdoor climber a few years ago and was taken aback a bit by the approach...If the approach alone is to scary go back to the gym.
Think for a moment what you just said. This is THE newbie/fresh-out-of-gym crag before the development of canal zone. You'd have appreciated it as a newbie. Good for you that you grew out of the stage w/o luck swinging the other way.
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Anthony O'Neill wrote:I don't like to chime in on these circle jerks, but i came here as a wide eyed young budding outdoor climber a few years ago and was taken aback a bit by the approach. However, when i saw a woman carrying a baby in a pack with both hands full while heading down i knew i had to put my big boy pants on. I revisited a few months back and had a laugh reflecting back on it. Doesn't every guidebook, every piece of equipment tell us this sport is dangerous? That we assume all risks? If the approach alone is to scary go back to the gym.
This is exactly why I mentioned the fix. This area is visited by unexperienced climbers with families. If you develop an area and bolt 5.7 for beginners. Why not make it safe? Not for selfish people like you or me but for the cute big eye babies.
curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

regardless of how anyone feels personally, the only process to get a fixed line installed is with approval from the fixed hardware committee.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040
Stagg54 wrote:If you can't figure out how to get up there without a rope, then you don't belong there. Go find a different sport...
Agreed. And while we're at it, let's do away with handicap spots at fitness gyms and all braille.
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
reboot wrote: Neither you nor I speak for everyone.
Julian said it would be wise (his opinion), I said it is not really needed (my opinion). I assumed when he said he didn't have a permit to do this it was open for discussion. I added my thoughts and left it at that (will not be safer, not needed, take the Mabe approach, etc).

Ultimately only Jeffco/bolt committee can say yes to this.

If the approach is scary you can always go climb at North Table.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Kids should not be taken to this crag if they are under 6. There are plenty of other crags like Cat Slab and East Colfax that have less dangerous approaches. This crag is crowded enough as it is. A rope without ascenders isn't actually going to help anyone. In fact, it would get in everyone else's way.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Daryl Allan wrote: Agreed. And while we're at it, let's do away with handicap spots at fitness gyms and all braille.
There are plenty of places to climb that are easily accessible. What do we have to dumb down everything so the masses can bring their crag dogs and crying babies?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "installing some fix ropes at High Wire "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started