Mountain Project Logo

Car Camping/Basecamp Tents?

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

https://www.target.com/p/4-person-dome-tent-orange-embark-153/-/A-14362571

I've been using this little guy for the last 2 years. Fits all your needs except for the lack of a vestibule, and it's only 5 feet tall (so you have to bend your neck if you stand up). But, since it only cost $40, I just bought an extra tarp to set up a kitchen area outside with some cord. Saved my money and bought lightweight backpacking and ski touring gear instead. I totally understand if other people want to spend more, but I just wanted to share a very cheap alternative that has worked well for me.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

If you are just car camping then don't spend a ton of money on big name brands.   For the past 5 years I have been using the Coleman 6 person instant tent and it has bee more than good enough.  It has withstood mega thunderstorms and stayed dry as well as heavy winds.  The only upgrade I would make are to the stakes.   Spend your hard earned cash on climbing gear and back country tents not car camping tents.  Oh, it goes up in under a minute, that is awesome when you are racing the rain, or dead ired and don't want to mess with threading poles through sleeves.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Outdoor-Camping-6-Person-Family-Waterproof-Instant-Tent-10-x-9/51944929?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=aed8b77e-f49f-48e3-8949-991448647410&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=aed8b77e-f49f-48e3-8949-991448647410&item_id=51944929&parent_anchor_item_id=23374750&parent_item_id=23374750&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=RV3PgwzH-M4CfZgeGjQ1dY

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Matt.H Haron wrote: I dont recommend Big agnes. I used to love their brand but they are extremely overpriced for what you get. You can get the same quality tent from walmart for a tenth of the price, especially if you are looking at car camping tents.

Buy cheap = buy twice.

James Donigan · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30
Chris Reyes wrote: Zippers!. Good call! Definitely something I'll have to check out in store. heck out the big Agnes Wyoming trail. We have the Wyoming trail 4 as a family tent for four of us. But the two person. One looks awesome. Huge vestibule. Actually the 4 looks pretty sweet. I guess when solo I can use one for gear, one for cooking and one for myself. With a partner, it seems pretty awesome - you get your own room (only the kingdom had something similar). It's a bit beyond my price range, but I'll poke around a bit more.

im trying to sell a wyoming trail 2 if you are in the market. used a couple times. great condition $175

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Marc801 C wrote:

Buy cheap = buy twice.

I generally agree with that adage but in this case it has not proven to be true.   My Coleman has taken abuse for that past 5 years and has held up like a champ.  The floor is beefy and holds up well.  I have had old North Face tents and Kelty tents over the years that just couldn't take the car camping abuse.   I have a Big Agnes for climbing and backpacking and it works great for what it was made for but I'll never spend big$$ on a car camping tent again.

This is my 4 man Colman that I use when it's just me or one other person, for Coleman tents, 4 man =2 man, 6man= 4man, at least when you have gear or cots.  

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Marc801 C wrote:

Buy cheap = buy twice.

On the other hand I have a copper spur UL 2 (last gen). 

Last fall the main pole snapped in half and punched through the fly while we were cragging. All guy points were used and quite taught. They were good about fixing it for free in a timely manner even though it had been used since 2013.

This summer I took it to the bugs, it weathered one very windy night ok with us in it. While we were out on Bugaboo spire a brief thunderstorm came through, pole broke again and ripped through the fly, ending out trip a little early.

In both cases when my tent broke other parties had their tents fly away due to anchors failing, so it was in significant wind. Still pisses me off though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Car Camping/Basecamp Tents?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started