Mountain Project Logo

Latest news from Cody

Don Foote · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 20
Ryan Nevius wrote: "A person killed" is not the only definition of "casualty"...
That is true Ryan. Just a word to gain attention for people to read a story I guess...... Thankfully Gary is alive and well out of the hospital with a long summer to recover a FX ankle, tib n fib.
Janet Cozzens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

First and foremost, I am not a climber, and that is why I think I am more than qualified to speak here. There are a lot of people that come out here wearing their trust on their sleeves. They read about the Cody Ice Festival and think that this would be a great place to come to learn about ice climbing and to do a clinic. They are willing to trust in this event and unfortunately, they are unaware of the danger that awaits them. Not being a climber myself, I can see that the warning signs are not in place, and it makes my heart pound out of my chest for these unsuspecting individuals that just want to learn to climb ice. Being married to Kirt Cozzens, I have learned a lot about climbing and the climbing community. It is a close knit 'family'. It is a family that stands up for each other and takes care of one another. Unfortunately, Don Foote feels the need to exploit this family and community for his own gain.

I have stood up for Don in the past, as I always thought that his heart was in the right place. I was not going to post here, but after reading the last post put up by Don, I am finding it difficult to just let this one go. What happened on the ice on February 14, 2016 was more than just an unfortunate mishap or a fluke accident. Even the fact that it may have been a fall between two friends does not excuse the behavior and audacity of Don Foote. To be completely honest, this was a blatant display of arrogance and disregard for human life. It was also a blatant display of disrespect to the climbing community as a whole, and it is completely unacceptable!

Time after time, Don has done things that are unethical and down right wrong. He never ceases to amaze me with his unending ways of defending himself - always blaming it on someone or something else. When is this going to end? When, Don, are you going to admit that you are running a half assed festival with no means to make it any better? When are you going to admit that it is time to shut this thing down? When are you going to admit that no one will endorse this event because it is not something that big names like Black Diamond and Petzl want to put their endorsement on? You are a danger to the inexperienced climber and the climbing community, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Inexperience and greed are the building blocks of the foundation of the Ice Climbing Festival held in Cody, Wyoming for the past 18 years. Even our tourism websites are promoting this event, as seen here:
winter.wyomingtourism.org/e…

At what cost? Unsuspecting, inexperienced people have to think that this is a great event to attend. there is nothing in place to tell them otherwise.

Last year, it was the lack of permits and insurance:
codyenterprise.com/news/loc…

The year before that, it was decided to use ice axes and crampons on a popular route used by rock climbers, even at the risk of marring the face and doing irreparable damage, all so that the beginners could have a place to climb:
billingsgazette.com/lifesty…

dpmclimbing.com/articles/vi…

This isn't even to mention this problem:
codynewscompany.com/2015/10…

This thing needs to be shut down! People are now falling off ice falls because of pure negligence and inexperience! The man that has organized this event for the past 18 years is obviously not going to stop. His practices are unethical and dangerous!

If you are someone looking to come to Cody for the next ice festival, I suggest that you educate yourself first. There are lots of articles on this event and the man that puts it on. Sadly to say, you won't find many positive articles. Don Foote is a noted liar and excuse creator. He constantly blames other people and other factors for his short comings, but at the end of the day, the blame rests on his shoulders. He is full of excuses, as seen in this post on his blog:
codyiceclimbingfestival.com…

When it is all said and done, it is blatant greed and irresponsibility that drive this man's ambitions. He has an unwavering willingness to put others at risk for the sake of his “Ice Festival” and the money he can make.

Thank God the man that fell was able to use his ice ax to stop himself, or this surely would have been a death to add to Mr. Foote's long list of notable accomplishments on his already tarnished resume.

I pray that someone puts a stop to this mad man's ambition before some unsuspecting novice pays the ultimate price.

Aaron Mulkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 15

Don your statement "Two friends, one giving instructional advice, NOT a guide, these two have climbed together in past and yes a human error was made by not tying the safety knot on the end of the rope" is an absolute lie and you know that. This was a clinic that people paid to attend. I have remained silent for many years and hoped things would get better, but its very clear, things are not improving and only getting worse. Don I know you have put your heart and soul into the festival, but the time has come to walk away. When you love something so much its hard to let it go, but I am begging you along with the climbing community in Cody to pass the torch.

Aaron Mulkey

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Don,
I’m sure it feels like the torches and pitchforks are out. And they are, deservedly so.

It is apparent after the recent few festivals you simply can not be honest about the events, incidents and obstacles that are plaguing your festival. Perhaps you should search out the common denominator?

After Sunday’s unfortunate incident, you have repeatedly maintained on news articles that the guides were not guides, but instructors or friends.
“ He was not with a guide. The festival has instructors not guides. Big difference.”
You even attempted to clarify the difference,
“Our vocabulary of Instructor vs. Guide to the festival clinics and permit is this.
An instructor is a person of such who is an experienced climber. Possibly a gear rep, athlete, local or frequent climber familiar with the particular waterfall and has the knowledge, skills and ability to help others enjoying the day ice climbing.

A guide is one who has taken on the difficult but very satisfying certification such as AMGA or others and is a paid professional. Something we would like to offer @ CICF but funding is difficult to pay them the wages they deserve so we offer educational clinics for reasonable prices, not the fees others charge for their service. Confusing for many I know. In my 18 year history, this is the only accident in clinics.”

This distinction does not hold muster.
From your Cody Ice Fest page:
“7pm Clinics meet and greet your guide for Saturday departures”
“Guide ratio 1:3”

And from a Mountain Project post, “We have now received a very generous donation that will pay for all of the guide fees…”

This is not at all confusing. A potential participant is led to believe there will be guides teaching clinics, not “instructors”, pals or chums. There was certainly no need (in your mind) for distinction prior to Sunday’s incident.
People were misled and this incident is a direct result.

You need to be honest and finally accept responsibility for your festival, before the torches and pitchforks go away.

Janet-
It is probably a good thing that social media was not available twenty years ago when Kirt’s business failure and life events where like a rollercoaster and people could talk shit about him like you feel the need to talk about me.
Thanks for sharing the history, memories of what I have accomplished, good and bad. I’m human; I don’t hide from my mistakes. I’ve made several and I will probably make more in my next 40 years?
I find it amazing and very sad the amount of time you have spent to talk bad about me as the owner and organizer of the annual Cody Ice Climbing Festival. I guess your intentions are to chase people away? What you and the haters don’t know is I share posts like this to my sponsors. Many see it here on MP as the posts appear and tell me as I'm not on the computer much like some of you. My sponsors know who people like you are. FYI, I'm a PETZL Rescue Dealer, they have been a sponsor for years and BD recently op out due to Michigan fest title sponsor and Cody has not much BD business in town.
Anyhow, life is too short to spend time behind the screen. If your stay at home mom jewelry business is doing so well how about make me an offer to take over CICF. Think you can do it better? I will pass the torch if the price is right? Otherwise, I have worked for eighteen years to keep this event alive and well; you only have attended once in those 18 years.
If you want to be an adult and meet in person we can talk more. I will not waste my time with childish posts on a climbing forum like this.
Respectfully,
Don Foote JR.
#19CICF Feb. 17-20, 2017

Loyd- I have looked back at 18 years of participants and don't see your name at any of the festival? We have not met yet but I will be in Gillete March 12 and see you face to face then.

Aaron,
I have reached out to you so we could talk in person last week so you could hear the real story. I dislike seeing your comments stoop so low with the others. We have much history over all the years. But now I know how you feel so thanks.
I know you are a sponsored climber but just have to ask, are you a certified guide? We have climbed together in the past and you have taught at CICF, you teach at Bozeman, you teach at Ouray, you have taught some in your career but yet you criticize me about this accident because I did not use all certified guides?
Secondly, you and some others want me to pass the torch? Make me an offer and let’s talk like real men and not childish post on a climbing forum. This is not what MP is made for or is it now days?
Don Foote JR.
#19CICF Feb. 17-20, 2017

Jason-
For a new guy just moving to Cody it appears you have a big mouth and like to hide behind a computer screen?
I have lived in Cody for 27 years, 18 of those now organizing the annual festival in which my records show you have never even attended but you want to talk shit about me?
I now have 21 days in the valley this season and never seen you yet?
When you want to meet in person let me know and I will be happy to be there.
Yes possibly the common denominator is not in my favor, I do take a lot of blame for other’s actions but mainly for my own. I’m human. I hope someday I can be like you. Make me an offer for the annual Cody Ice Climbing Festival if you think you can do it better?

Don Foote JR
#19CICF Feb. 17-20, 2017

Mr. Southfork · · Roberts, MT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 15
Mees wrote:broken beyond repair
March 17 is the pre-trial in Park County District Court. Hope to see some of you there.

Who was the "guide?"
Kirt Cozzens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

This will be our last post on MP on this subject. 1) 24 years ago I, Kirt, chose to close my business, as I knew when it was time to 'get out'. 2) The roller coaster ride with Toyota Motor Sales has been a hell of a ride ever since. 3) Guess the organizer of this event won't be invited to the mortgage burning party at the cabin and he is no longer on our Christmas list. 4) Janet's rockin' jewelry business will help us buy a new 4Runner later in the year.
Peace out!

Kirt & Janet

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Latest news from Cody"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started