Mountain Project Logo

Cordless Drills

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 3,435

3.9 pounds tool weight with battery.

C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,253

I have been using that 12v Milwaukee for bolting on lead and I love it. It will do about 12 3/8x3" holes in good granite with a fresh bit. I've used it down to 0 degrees with no loss in power too. Can't say that for the Bosch drills.

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 3,435

Home Depot recently had this 12v Milwaukee hammer-drill set-up on sale online. Not sure if still out there at the price of $200. Comes (or came) with 2 battery units, the charger unit, and a nice plastic case.

cashmab · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,879

Agree that you should save up or get a few buddies together to pool some funds together. I picked up a brand new Boschhammer 36V SDS on ebay for $350. Just be patient and wait around for a good deal.

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,160

today I got to use the chipper only feature on my 18v milwuakee.
Took out a whole shower worth of wall tile in about an hour with an SDS tile chisel bit.

+1 for the 18 v milwuakee. That job would have been a total bitch without it.

harly alice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Informative

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9

Second many of the comments regarding the lighter 18v drills powered by lithium ion batteries. Hilti 36v TE-4 and TE-6 (A) series drills are excellent but very heavy compared to the Bosch 18v / equivalent. Other advantages can be found when using other tools such as cordless angle grinders that share the same power packs.

https://francishaden.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/drills-for-bolting/ 

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 20

Kind of an old thread to bring back to life but hey its relevant to my question:

Im looking at the Milwaukee M18 drills. The 1 inch and 1-1/8 inch. The 1 is a bit cheaper, weighs .7lbs less, and puts out 1.7ft-lbs. The 1-1/8 puts out 3.3 ft-lbs of impact energy. For typical half inch bolts, is there any reason to go with the 1-1/8? Overkill?

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 819

I have two of the standard sds plus M18 Fuel Rotary hammer drills and they are both working great despite some heavy abuse on one of them. I have drilled a 150+ 5/8" holes in medium hardness rock and another 130+ 1/2" holes in granite. I think they are great and the m18 line has so many great tools that use the same battery that it is hard to go wrong buying that drill.

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 20
Bobby Hutton wrote: I have two of the standard sds plus M18 Fuel Rotary hammer drills and they are both working great despite some heavy abuse on one of them. I have drilled a 150+ 5/8" holes in medium hardness rock and another 130+ 1/2" holes in granite. I think they are great and the m18 line has so many great tools that use the same battery that it is hard to go wrong buying that drill.

Do you know if you have the 1 inch or 1-1/8? I feel like they'd both work great, just don't want to regret which one I go with.

M Hanna · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 5

I traded in my Bosch for a M18 as well. Excellent tools

Mh

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 819
Mike wrote:

Do you know if you have the 1 inch or 1-1/8? I feel like they'd both work great, just don't want to regret which one I go with.

The 1" version. I do not believe the larger one was available when I was shopping. 2712-20 is the product number for the bare tool. There is one for $210 shipped on ebay right now that I tried to link but was blocked. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Cordless Drills"