Mountain Project Logo

Bot Posts

Original Post
Where's Walden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 314

Can we not implement a system to slow down the bot posting? At least not allow new accounts to post in the first day, first week or whatever. This is ridiculous. 

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174

I’ve posted about his before, recently. I think that people who call themselves “moderators“ should be checking in every day

Where's Walden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 314

LL2, I think there are simpler ways. If bots can spam these type of posts, a system should easily be able to detect them. 10 nearly identical posts in an hour seems very simple to detect.

Colton Meyers · · Conifer · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 10

I would agree Walden. A potential approach for this would be generating vector embeddings for each new post (title + first post contents). This post could be compared to other posts by the user within a recent time frame. If they have a high cosine similarity then they are likely a spam post. This could be applied for newer accounts until they reach a certain threshold which shows organic user activity. 

The cost for this would be very minimal as text embeddings typically bill at 0.02 per 1M input tokens. A simple formula for this is:

Cost = ( new accounts per day ) • (tokens per post) •  (.02/1M)

(10,000) • (420 ) • (.02/1M)

= $0.084 (obviously this assumes 1 post per bot, but I'm overestimating on new user signups probably)

False positives could be reduced by 

- Requiring more than X posts to be in violation.

- Checking semantic similarity with typical rock climbing posts. Ie. Is it about rock climbing at all? 

- Using TF/IDF as an embedding component for the site. We can better represent/factor in each sub-fourm's discussion nuances. 

- Comparing the embeddings of a user to known past spammers.

Idk, I don't work in this space and I'm probably over simplifying/not factoring in a lot of nuances, but vector embeddings are sweet and they seem well suited to typical spam posters I've seen in the past few months.

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder County, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 229

We're working on making improvements to the current system to prevent or limit similar bot-spam situations in the future. In these cases, users were quick to flag the posts but we don't have an automated system for deleting posts. That has been an intentional choice to limit the possibility of making mistakes and removing legit user posts. It's all a balance and the feedback is appreciated. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Bot Posts"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.