Mountain Project Logo

Packable climbing pack

Original Post
Seppe Moens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2025 · Points: 0

Do any of you have recommendations for a climbing pack, that can easily be folded and stored in a bigger pack, so something very simple, without a frame, just 1 big pocket, and a buckle to store the rope on top

Ideally around 20l

Adam Fleming · · SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 542

I use the Blue Ice Wadi. Might be a little too heavy and durable for what you want, but I love that I can haul it. 

Also, I don't worry about folding climbing packs. I just fill them with stuff and slide them in the big pack. 

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle/Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 446

BD Blitz 20

Tommy Sicilian · · Long Beach · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 345
Adam Fleming wrote:

I use the Blue Ice Wadi. Might be a little too heavy and durable for what you want, but I love that I can haul it. 

Also, I don't worry about folding climbing packs. I just fill them with stuff and slide them in the big pack. 

Wow! I have been taking packs for hauling on route in the backcountry for years and have always just strapped them to the outside or under the brain of the bigger pack. I can't believe it has never occurred to me to just fill it and put it in the pack. Always something new to learn, thanks

I second the Wadi if you want to haul at all, I use the 22L. It also carries well and is a great pack for car 2 car missions. I can easily fit a double rack plus any personal stuff. It carries everything you need for new routes as well. I had a BD creek 20 that also worked really well but that eventually got destroyed and I don't think they sell them anymore. 

If you are not hauling you have a lot of superlight options from most brands (BD has a few good options). I have been using the Trango ration pack for years. It has two clips on the outside for shoes with a bungee to hold them tight to the pack. I didn't expect to like this feature so much, but it is great if you are trying to get your shoes off your harness without filling up your pack. It also holds a double rack plus some personal stuff. I think it actually comes with a haul cover, but I must have lost mine a while ago. 

Mike McL · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 2,095

BD Blitz 20 or the Blue Ice Stache UL 25 

Randy Vannurden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

just bought the wadi 15 and instantly cut out the thick pad in the back of it. makes it way more packable and lighter.  

Deadfish · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 10

Check out the Mountain Tools Stealth pack, I've had mine for years and it's absolutely amazing and low profile.  Would 100% buy again.

Adam Fleming · · SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 542
Tommy Sicilian wrote:

Wow! I have been taking packs for hauling on route in the backcountry for years and have always just strapped them to the outside or under the brain of the bigger pack. I can't believe it has never occurred to me to just fill it and put it in the pack. Always something new to learn, thanks

I second the Wadi if you want to haul at all, I use the 22L. It also carries well and is a great pack for car 2 car missions. I can easily fit a double rack plus any personal stuff. It carries everything you need for new routes as well. I had a BD creek 20 that also worked really well but that eventually got destroyed and I don't think they sell them anymore. 

If you are not hauling you have a lot of superlight options from most brands (BD has a few good options). I have been using the Trango ration pack for years. It has two clips on the outside for shoes with a bungee to hold them tight to the pack. I didn't expect to like this feature so much, but it is great if you are trying to get your shoes off your harness without filling up your pack. It also holds a double rack plus some personal stuff. I think it actually comes with a haul cover, but I must have lost mine a while ago. 

The other option is loading it up and using the shoulder straps to lash it on. 

Graham Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

What are you climbing with it?  For low abrasion ice climbing - I use a superlight sil-nylon daypack - about  75g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salewa-Unisex-Vector-Backpack-pack/dp/B0DCSF9N77

not made any more, but I used to use a sea to summit one which is similar and still made. My salewa is about 6 years old and still going strong. I can just ball it up and put it in my pocket when it's empty. 

For rock climbing/alpine stuff - I have a blitz 20, Simond Rock 20, Thule Stir 15. Blue Ice Stash UL 25. 

No. I do not have a pack addiction. I can stop when I want. 

Professor Watermelon · · MADISON · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

BD speed zip 22.  Take out the foam back pad and it'll fold down to almost nothing.

James C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 186

This is every 20 liter ish pack, no? None of them have frames. Mutant 22 has removable foam panel and rolls up tiny.

jackscoldsweat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

fwiw,

i hate climbing w/ a pack if i can help it. But, if the route is remote and multi day, i've had good experience using the Osprey Mutant 38 over the last 10ish? years. i've cut off all excessive features (ski straps, extra clip points, etc..). On summit day, it's down to just over a single pound after removing the 'stay frame' and sometimes the foam back pad too. I only wish the padding for the waist belt was modular, otherwise the pack is perfect for those remote alpine rock excursions. It carries approach weights comfortably and climbs decently after tucking the waist belt away.

having a pack that can do both is near impossible to find imo. But the mutant comes close. saves me weight and money if you're willing to take pair of scissors to it.

jcs

Eric Craig · · Santa Cruz · Joined Sep 2024 · Points: 5

+1 for the Mountain Tools Stealth pack, although it might be a bit small, and isn’t quite a feather weight. A little over a pound I think, made of ballistic cloth. It is very durable. Their whole Jet Pack line carries very well. I led the entirety of RNWF Half Dome wearing the Stealth Pack, and other long rock climbs. It is so svelte that you only need to take it off for true squeeze chimneys. 

Daniel Shively · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2024 · Points: 0

I own and have made good use of the much hated and maligned Cilogear worksack system. The 20l worksack is a nice little on route pack and attaches perfectly to my 45l worksack using the d ring straps. Not sure if this stuff is actually available anymore. 

The Flying Dutchman · · Norrrrway · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 25

another vote for the 20L cilogear worksack. But to be honest in this category I feel anything light and foldable is probably fine. 

Lars R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2024 · Points: 0

The Osprey Ultralight Stuff Pack is perfect for this! Packs down to nothing, has comfortable shoulder straps and a sternum strap too. Small pocket at the top for diddies and a sturdy loop to hang it on a carabiner.

Daniel Roctapod · · NY · Joined Jun 2025 · Points: 1

One more for the Blue Ice Wadi 22L. Simple. No bullshit. Durable. I love it.

Alex Faulkner · · Lancaster, Pa · Joined Oct 2022 · Points: 0

Hyperlite summit 30. Folds down into nothing and is totally modular. I use it for everything short of cragging With a ton of stuff. Surprised how little attention this pack gets Honestly

Kent Pease · · Littleton, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,126

Organic Climbing, Roll Down top. (20 l). Simple and burley.

Elijah Benson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2026 · Points: 0

This hasn’t been linked yet, but I can’t imagine a more packable bag, and it climbs wonderfully to boot:

https://us.blueice.com/products/reach-20l-pack


Breathable, comfy, and easy to swap at the belay if necessary.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Packable climbing pack"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.