Mountain Project Logo

ISO aid climbing practice partner in flatirons? 4/3-4/13

Original Post
Jacob Martin · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2023 · Points: 0

Pls be nice I am new to aid climbing and I want to practice before going to Yosemite. If you have experience and are willing to do some aid climbing hmu. Lots of experience with traditional climbing and work in rope access. Just need to go out and do put my YouTube knowledge on rocks. 9147727532 

happy to buy you a beer if you give tips on efficiency! 

Eli Johnson · · Foco, CO · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 339

Hey I'm new to aid too, but I'm down to go if you're still looking for a partner. I've been looking at the SE overhang on the 2nd flatiron of that interests you

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Training for the valley should be done at somewhere in Boulder canyon.  Castle rock is prefect, but lots of other great spots.  Flatirons is not a great choice.  Different rock.  Longer approaches.  Easier to possibly break rock.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,831
Cor wrote:

Training for the valley should be done at somewhere in Boulder canyon.  Castle rock is prefect, but lots of other great spots.  Flatirons is not a great choice.  Different rock.  Longer approaches.  Easier to possibly break rock.

100% agree. The Flatirons should be thought of as a free climbing area with potentially fragile rock so even trad routes like Five Year Plan could be altered. Castle is by far the best bet though being mindful of the possibility of breaking free or potentially free routes is important there as well. Clean aid only is the best practice there, and avoiding the use of hooks as well.

David Frietz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2021 · Points: 0
Eli Johnson wrote:

Hey I'm new to aid too, but I'm down to go if you're still looking for a partner. I've been looking at the SE overhang on the 2nd flatiron of that interests you

Hey Eli, Im looking for a partner to romp up the flat irons tomorrow afternoon or thursday afternoon. Not aid specifically, just looking to get out. Shoot me a text if interested, 6zero2-3two1-7857

Evan C · · Littleton, CO · Joined Mar 2024 · Points: 0

Hey I'm also trying to get more aid practice in before a Yosemite trip. Aided the roof on Caste rock last weekend and I'm down to aid more stuff in Boulder Canyon this weekend.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado Partners
Post a Reply to "ISO aid climbing practice partner in flatirons?…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.