Mountain Project Logo

Seeking information about bouldering near the Incredible Hulk

Original Post
Daniel S · · San Jose · Joined Oct 2022 · Points: 78

Tried googling to no avail. Can someone point me in the direction of a guidebook (or a MP page I can't seem to find?) that contains information about the many beautiful boulders in little slide canyon? 

Since my hulk trips are sans pad, I would love to know if there are any easier problems I can try on rest days out there without falling too much.

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 726

JFC dude just go for a walk

Gabe De La Rosa · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 380

Sorry Rob, you must not know that local area ethics say no climbing on boulders that aren’t in the guidebook

almostrad · · BLC · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 18

This is very San Jose 

Kevin Crum · · Oakdale · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 56

Daniel S · · San Jose · Joined Oct 2022 · Points: 78

I don't see how these responses contribute positively to the climbing community - are they intended to discourage people from asking about less documented climbing areas on mountain project? 

Granite B-Sides · · Rocktown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 350
Daniel S wrote:

I don't see how these responses contribute positively to the climbing community - are they intended to discourage people from asking about less documented climbing areas on mountain project? 

Before you get too discouraged from someone suggesting you 'go for a walk'....consider that since you said rest day & padless in the alpine, you basically have asked others to tell you what is and is not a ~V0.

I think people are reacting to the tension between you being apparently competent enough to go alpine climbing but not being competent enough to identify a ~V0 without documentation.  And I suspect at a meta level, resistant to a generation of climbers who don't have an appreciation for ideals like self-reliance, commitment, competence, and adventure.     

You received good advice.  Go for a walk.  

Matt Wetmore · · Lost Wages, NV · Joined May 2017 · Points: 565
Granite B-Sides wrote:

Before you get too discouraged from someone suggesting you 'go for a walk'....consider that since you said rest day & padless in the alpine, you basically have asked others to tell you what is and is not a ~V0.

I think people are reacting to the tension between you being apparently competent enough to go alpine climbing but not being competent enough to identify a ~V0 without documentation.  And I suspect at a meta level, resistant to a generation of climbers who don't have an appreciation for ideals like self-reliance, commitment, competence, and adventure.     

You received good advice.  Go for a walk.  

I dont think that's necessarily what he's asking. He could be asking so he could identify particular boulders he wants to do, which he might not find in his limited time there. I have no trouble identifying V0s but if there was some 4 star V0 it would be cool to know where it is so I could do it. 

Shaun G · · California · Joined Jul 2021 · Points: 20

What up Daniel. I feel the intention of your question and, hell, now I'm curious about the bouldering potential at the base of the incredible hulk, but asking a boulder-related question on MP is like going on Kaya and asking a trad-related question. It just won't yield fruitful results. Scout it on Google Earth, hike out and let me know what you find dude! 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,257
Shaun G wrote:

What up Daniel. I feel the intention of your question and, hell, now I'm curious about the bouldering potential at the base of the incredible hulk, but asking a boulder-related question on MP is like going on Kaya and asking a trad-related question. It just won't yield fruitful results. Scout it on Google Earth, hike out and let me know what you find dude! 

In short: go for a walk.

I mean, the line between folks being crusty and the OP swinging and missing at the spirit of discovery is razor thin here.

As a slightly helpful aside, I believe Lisa Rands is filmed going for a walk and bouldering while climbing with Peter Croft in the Hulk zone. Maybe that helps? It’s on YouTube, easily searched.

Daniel S · · San Jose · Joined Oct 2022 · Points: 78

I did take a walk, and encountered some lovely boulders out there. I am not asking for people to "tell you what is and is not a ~V0". I was simply wanting to have a nice conversation with others who know about or are interested in bouldering in slide canyon. It's okay for you to be adventurous, independent etc but knowing what I am climbing, the story and history behind it is important to me and does not bring harm to others.

Sure it's funny that I got ratioed by the first few replies so everyone can have a good laugh, but I simply do not see how asking these gumby questions can be harmful to the community that it warrants such bully responses. 

Also if anyone has a perversion to bouldering or gumbies they can just not participate in this thread? 

Now back to business - if anyone possesses one or a few of those new super portable inflatable crashpads, I'd love to go out there with you and document as many climbs on as many boulders as we can, perhaps with a run up red dihedral thrown in there!

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,257

Whoa there. Because you’ve not gotten the precise replies you want doesn’t mean you’ve gotten bullied. You’ve actually gotten ample explanation of why asking about the pebbles amongst the big rocks might not receive so much traction (I know, that makes me pebblist). Some rather nuanced, fairly kind replies are in there.

Good luck to you. The more people responding may actually keep this thread alive enough to attract the eyes of whoever you’re looking for, but I’ll leave you to curating your conversation.

John Tuttle · · Just a dude, playing a dude. · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 245
Colonel Mustard wrote:

Whoa there. Because you’ve not gotten the precise replies you want doesn’t mean you’ve gotten bullied. You’ve actually gotten ample explanation of why asking about the pebbles amongst the big rocks might not receive so much traction (I know, that makes me pebblist). Some rather nuanced, fairly kind replies are in there.

Good luck to you. The more people responding may actually keep this thread alive enough to attract the eyes of whoever you’re looking for, but I’ll leave you to curating your conversation.

Skip off pebble-ist maxi-pad people hatur!

:P

ps: L2hyphen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Seeking information about bouldering near the I…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.