Mountain Project Logo

Dirtbag market coming to city of rocks and maple canyon 10/6-12

Original Post
Gio Sions · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hey y'all,

I'm transient and starting my fall circuit with City of Rocks and Maple Canyon, I'll be making sandwiches/meals and selling climbing rope art out of my lil school bus for the season! Along with looking for some partners too. 

Find me in the main campgrounds in the AM and evenings if you're hungry or want a cute gift for the climbers in your life! Cash will be ideal as I'm not sure how service is.

Might stop off in SLC and pop up at one of the gyms along the way, if anyone has a connect let me know! 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,100

Nina, all of the campgrounds at City of Rocks are under the auspices of the NPS/Idaho State Parks. As such, one needs to have a commercial use permit to operate/sell anything in the Reserve. Similarly the campground at Maple Canyon is under the auspices of the Forest Service. Similarly, one needs to have a commercial use permit to operate/sell anything in the Forest. 

At the same time, one also needs a food handler permit which is typically issued by the county. As such, you should probably rethink your plans as both areas have active rangers/camp hosts.

Gio Sions · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Allen Sanderson wrote:

Nina, all of the campgrounds at City of Rocks are under the auspices of the NPS/Idaho State Parks. As such, one needs to have a commercial use permit to operate/sell anything in the Reserve. Similarly the campground at Maple Canyon is under the auspices of the Forest Service. Similarly, one needs to have a commercial use permit to operate/sell anything in the Forest. 

At the same time, one also needs a food handler permit which is typically issued by the county. As such, you should probably rethink your plans as both areas have active rangers/camp hosts.

Emphasize on the dirtbag part, I am not commercially selling anything just a small artist trying to make it by as I travel. Call it a suggested cash donation system, I will not be setting up some full food truck or anything of that means just simply sitting out making my crafts and food, willing to sell if anyone is interested. I have done similar set ups when I done trail magic for thru hikers in multiple states and I've only had positive interactions with rangers and park personnel that have approached me. Thanks for your concern. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,100
Gio Sions wrote:I'll be making sandwiches/meals and selling climbing rope art out of my lil school bus for the season!  

Find me in the main campgrounds in the AM and evenings if you're hungry or want a cute gift for the climbers in your life! Cash will be ideal as I'm not sure how service is.

Nina, I don't think you understand the meaning of being a dirtbag. A dirt bag puts a note up on the board to sell their haul bag for food or stealthy sells bootlegged cams out of the trunk of their vehicle. You are advertising ahead of time of your plans to set up shop while on public lands. You may not think what you are doing is not commercial in nature but it is. I am just trying to give you fair warning because I have seen other climbers doing the same. They're have been told to stop and in some cases told to leave the campground/area.

Gio Sions · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Allen Sanderson wrote:

Nina, I don't think you understand the meaning of being a dirtbag. A dirt bag puts a note up on the board to sell their haul bag for food or stealthy sells bootlegged cams out of the trunk of their vehicle. You are advertising ahead of time of your plans to set up shop while on public lands. You may not think what you are doing is not commercial in nature but it is. I am just trying to give you fair warning because I have seen other climbers doing the same. They're have been told to stop and in some cases told to leave the campground/area.

Allen, honestly this seems to neither effect or involve you at all and while I appreciate your concern I'd hate to know how you treat the small farmer with a street stand. A forum is basically an online bulletin board so not sure how this is so unexpectable. If you're here to be a Kermudgen then good job, you succeeded. If you have nothing else to say that's positive or helpful please move along to another post.

Lincoln Mahan · · Golden · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 98

Allen definitely calls the cops when he sees a kid with a lemonade stand 

Jordan Day · · Highland, UT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 3

Allen is giving good advice in a friendly way.  I hope it works out well for Nina, I would stop by if in the area.

Jake Neem · · Salt Lake City · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 10

If you weren't aware of the rules Allen did a service and let you know that this is not permitted and is likely a punishable action. If you knew these rules and planned on skirting them anyway you can disregard what Allen said in kind.

I'm fairly confident Allen isn't tipping off the forest service ahead of time to go after someone doing a limited commercial activity. Instead they're letting you know that commercial activities are being more strongly restricted. You can see how this is happening more and more often with commercial film crews, ad campaigns, private sellers etc trying to use public lands/forest/wilderness without proper permitting. This isn't just a United states thing either, this is becoming common across Canada and Europe. 

You can dislike that all you want; it doesn't change that Allen is trying to do you a service and inform you before you get ticketed or restricted from areas. You can choose to do what you want with that information; that's on you.

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,190
Gio Sions wrote:

Allen, honestly this seems to neither effect or involve you at all and while I appreciate your concern I'd hate to know how you treat the small farmer with a street stand. A forum is basically an online bulletin board so not sure how this is so unexpectable. If you're here to be a Kermudgen then good job, you succeeded. If you have nothing else to say that's positive or helpful please move along to another post.

Friendly word of advice from a stranger: this is not a good look for your market. Just cut your losses and have the mods delete the thread. If you get busted at either location, it will hurt access for all of us.

bryans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 627
F r i t z wrote:

Friendly word of advice from a stranger: this is not a good look for your market. Just cut your losses and have the mods delete the thread. If you get busted at either location, it will hurt access for all of us.

What he said. Cool idea, good luck, take it off the web.

Collin C Burn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 10
Lincoln Mahan wrote:

Allen definitely calls the cops when he sees a kid with a lemonade stand 

More likely tells the kids where to put the stand such that the cops aren't called. . . 

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 726

On the DL, word of mouth: sell some things, ranger eventually lets you know it's time to stop.

On the internet: ranger's boss/indignant civilians complain, now they have no choice but to ticket you.

M Clune · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Allen is a good man, he once returned to me a x4 .3 and a gold dmm offset nut that accidentally got left on a route. These are some of the best pieces of gear manufactured. I can only imagine he means well. 

Gio Sions · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Okay thanks for the buzz kill y'all, not trying to start any drama here just trying to to get by on the road and have fun meeting folks. 

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21
Gio Sions wrote:

Okay thanks for the buzz kill y'all, not trying to start any drama here just trying to to get by on the road and have fun meeting folks. 

Nina, do it. Get by. Get’er done.  Just remember those folks who paid for their licenses are the ones who will call the regulators.  Keep it low.  Keep it sick.  Get your license. People like you change the world. I want that plate of grub!!

J B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2022 · Points: 2

It seems Alan was providing you with some helpful knowledge and not breaking from any rules of this forum-Whether you choose this information or not us up to you-You might consider checking with the campground hosts at both locations about your "by donation" exchange for goods-But this forum is designed to be a positive place to share information WITHOUT name calling

Draw Thief · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 70

Counter offer:

Don't.

Sarah Inwood · · Millcreek, UT · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 6

This thread needs to be deleted. This is not appropriate for mountain project. You cannot offer to sell goods and services on public land without the appropriate permits. Can you imagine if someone offered guiding services here without having the appropriate certifications and licenses and insurance?? please delete this thread.

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 3

Those rope koozies look pretty solid, any tall boy sizes? 

Shaun Johnson · · Pocatello, ID · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,610

What up!?

I am just a common transient climber type. I am offering pirate guiding services on all federal lands. Don't worry it is totally legal because it is "by donation only" I emphasize that i am a dirtbag (I have been traveling around in my newly built out sprinter!) Please do not disagree with me or kill my buzz.... Anywhoo I will be at all the local climbing areas offering unpermitted guiding services. Again please don't harsh my mellow by telling me this is not "legal" or this is a bad look, or that I should reconsider what I am doing. You are probably just a boomer! I would hate to see how you would treat an unpermitted food truck on federal land! Only respond with positive affirmations about what I am doing please! Thanks Mountainproject.

 

Spider Savage · · Los Angeles, ID · Joined May 2007 · Points: 540

I support Nina.  If she keeps it on the low-down. She is inviting friends to stop by.  

I also support the government rules so we don't have vendors popping up all over our parks and public lands.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Dirtbag market coming to city of rocks and mapl…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.